Status: one-shot.

No Matter What

No Matter What

The club was packed to the gills and she could barely move without being groped or feeling like she was groping someone else. Why her friends had decided to come to the bar after the concert was beyond her, but they were her friends, and most of them she hadn’t seen in years.

Makayla shook her blonde hair behind one shoulder as she raised her arms above her head to keep the drinks clear from someone accidentally spilling them. When she finally broke free from the mob, she watched her footing, making sure she didn’t fall.

She reached the table and looked up; everyone was gone except for one person. She looked around the club and saw flashes of her friends dancing through the crowd. She inhaled and turned back around to slide into the booth. Jacoby Shaddix was staring at her while he twirled his beer bottle around.

“You want a drink?” she asked, signaling to the extra Jack and Coke in her hand.

“Sure why not,” he said with a smile.

She slid the drink across the table and it landed in between two of his fingers. He smiled his appreciation and Makayla blushed. She’d always brushed Jacoby off before considering they were friends and she’d been dating David, but now she was single… In fact, it was the first time she’d been single around Jacoby and Lacey, her best friend, was the first to always point out when Jacoby was staring at her or how much of a crush he had on her. She had always laughed and thought nothing of it, but now it was all that would consume her brain.

“Did you enjoy the concert?” she heard him ask.

She tried to play it cool. “You know I did, Coby. I always enjoy your shows.”

He watched her smile, but knew something was different. She couldn’t keep her hands still and she wasn’t looking at him. Yeah, something was definitely different with Makayla and he didn’t understand what. Maybe she was just nervous about being out without David. Jacoby almost laughed out loud at the thought of that prick. The guy had cheated on Makayla at every turn, he was always asking her for money, and she was supporting him when it should’ve been the other way around. Jacoby had always thought Makayla was too giving; she needed someone who would give back to her. That’s why every time he saw her, he brought her a gift. It didn’t matter if he’d paid two dollars or two hundred dollars, she always loved his gifts.

“I’m glad,” he said and smiled.

She still wasn’t looking at him.

He remembered when they’d first become friends. She and Jerry had gone to school together and her older brother had been very good friends with Jerry. They used to hang out all the time and as they all got closer, Makayla started hanging out with them. Of course, she’d been dating Nathan then, but they’d broken up right before Makayla went off to college. When she’d come home for Christmas, she’d brought David with her. She hadn’t been away from him since, and now she was finally free. He’d wanted to make his move immediately, but he knew he needed to be careful.

Makayla had always been finicky around him and he never understood it. She’d always shied away from him and acted shy. He’d seen her around her own friends before and he’d never seen someone so beautiful; she was full of life, she laughed loudly, and she didn’t hold anything back. He’d do anything to have her act like that with him.

Now, sitting there, all she looked was sad. He wanted to help her out; he knew her mind was on David. She hadn’t gotten up to dance when Lacey asked her to, she’d rebuffed several guys’ offers to dance, and the only time she’d gotten up was to get more drinks. Speaking of drinks, Jacoby was a bit concerned that she only had a few sips left of her drink when she’d only gotten it five minutes before.

Finally, his chance was there, and he scooted to the edge of the booth to stand up. Just as he did, a slow song came on and he walked to the side of the booth where she was sitting. She’d been watching him the whole time and was a bit surprised when he held his hand out to her. Hesitantly, she scooted to the edge and took his hand, letting him pull her up and to the dance floor. She passed by Lacey who was holding up a thumbs up and she rolled her eyes.

He placed his left hand on her hip and she could feel the heat emanating from it. Her heart beat a little bit faster as she felt him pull her close. He smelled like the bar mixed with his cologne and she inhaled deeply, closing her eyes.

“I’ve missed you, Mac,” he said, calling her the nickname only he had ever called her.

Her heart did this weird tingle thing as she closed her eyes, letting the familiarity wash over her. He was just being friendly, she reminded herself and she opened her eyes to look at his. She smiled back at him.

“I’ve missed you, too, Coby.”

Knowing it was now or never, he opened his mouth to speak.

“I don’t think you understand, Mac. I really miss you. I miss you when you’re close, I miss you when I’m away, I miss you when you’re with someone and I miss you every second of the day.”

“What are you talking about?” Makayla gasped.

“I’ve been wanting to tell you this since before you came home with Nathan that Christmas.”
Makayla’s heart beat a bit faster, now.

“Say it,” she said.

“Makayla, I love you. I want to be with you. I want to treat you how you need to be treated. I want you with me when we go on tour; I want to be able to sing to you every night. I want to run my fingers through your beautiful blonde hair all the time.”

Her heart stopped just as the music did. She felt tears sting her eye and she struggled to find the words to say something, anything.

“Makayla.”

She was brought out of her reverie and realized Jacoby’s eyes were no longer on her. She turned around and saw David standing there behind her. His eyes flicked to her and then to Jacoby. She felt Jacoby’s hands leave her and she glanced back at David.

“Can we talk?” David asked her.

She turned back to see Jacoby shrug and walk away from her. She almost went after him, but David had grabbed hold of her hand. Her last look at Jacoby was him turning to disappear through the crowd.

He should’ve known that it wouldn’t last long. He should’ve known that David would weasel his way back into her life again, but he never expected it to be seconds after he’d told her he loved her. He shook his head and moved back to the table they had sat around minutes before. He finished his own drink as well as hers and moved toward the door of the bar.

Stepping outside, he looked up, thinking how cliché it was that a storm would start that night. He jogged his way to his car and sat in the driver’s seat, starting the ignition and backing out of his spot.

Arriving home, he threw his keys on the table and kicked off his shoes. He ran his hands over his face and moved to the kitchen. He was nowhere near drunk and he didn’t want to be now. He’d just made a huge ass of himself and he just wanted to take some aspirin and go to bed.

Just as he took a sip of the water bottle he opened, there was a knock on the door. Lightning flashed as he moved through the house and thunder shook the entire structure just as he reached the door. Pulling it open, Makayla stood in front of him, soaking wet. Her blonde hair was sticking to her shoulders and forehead. A huge red mark was turning dark on the top of her cheek.

“Jesus, Mak,” he said, reaching a hand out to cup her cheek.

She just smiled at him, shrugging. “It’s fine.”

“Did he hit you?” he asked as he pulled her inside. He was angry now. “I swear to God, if he fucking touched you, I’ll kill him.”

“Coby, I’m fine,” she said and smiled widely at him. He was confused.

“What happened?”

“He got mad at me when I told him I didn’t want to be with him anymore.”

“So he hit you?!”

“Coby,” she said, putting her hands on his shoulders. “He didn’t touch me. I was mad at him and turned into the car door too soon. I did it to myself. He told me he wanted me back and I told him I didn’t want to get back together.”

“What did he say then?”

“He asked why I didn’t… and I told him the truth.”

“Which is what?”

Makayla looked him in the eye and smiled slowly. “I’m in love with someone else.”

Jacoby was slow to smile, but once he realized what she meant, his smile lit the room. Even with the thunder rumbling and the lightning brightening the house, he couldn’t be happier. Not caring that her hair was wet or that she was shivering slightly, he pulled her in and kissed her like he’d imagined doing so many times in the past.

When they pulled apart, they smiled at each other.

“No matter what?” Jacoby asked her, knowing she’d know what he meant.

“No matter what,” she vowed.
♠ ♠ ♠
hope you enjoy