‹ Prequel: Just A lonely Star
Status: Hey guys! This story is making a return! I've seen You Me At Six twice since I wrote the prequel to this so I've got lots of inspiration, I even met them again too! Also, I'm going to see them at Wembley in December! So you could say I'm kind of on a You Me At Six hype lately so hopefully we'll get

Take Your Breath Away

Nothing's Gonna Change My World

The sleepy city trails past us at a snail’s pace. We pass clothes shops, toy shops, bakeries, restaurants, business people bustling around, children walking to school, couples strolling and it’s all beautiful. As much as I love living in Surrey, I had missed New York. I miss the lights at night, the sleepy morning rush, walking by the lake in Central Park, watching shows on Broadway and most of all I missed “Joe’s Cafe”. Now Joes Cafe is a place I've been going to since birth, my father took me every Saturday before he passed away for pancakes and milkshakes, then as a teenager I’d go alone, watching the busy street outside as I ate my breakfast and now today, I’m on my way there with Josh, to meet up with my Mother.

Today Joes Cafe gets to see the new me and boy, was I excited to go back there.

`That’s my old high school!’ I say, pointing to the dull, brick building we’re passing.

It’s bustling with kids as it’s the start of the school day and they’re all hanging out before first lesson.

`I used to walk to school every day and meet up with Sarah on the grass over there!’ I point to the patch of grass I’m referring to, `then we’d sit there and smoke up until class started.’

`”Smoke up”? I wasn't aware I was dating such a rebel.’

`I was seventeen and really stupid.’

`I was on tour when I was seventeen. I can assure you I did more stupid things than that.’ He smiles, probably at some memory of getting drunk with the guys in their old touring van.

`Yeah, Max told me about the time you taped him to the inside of the van and left him there for a six hour drive.’

He starts laughing at that.

`Good times.’ He smiles, `Very good times.’

`I think Max disagrees. Ooh! This is it! This is Joe’s Cafe! This is the place me and my dad used to come every weekend!’

The cab stops in front of the cafe and Josh pays the driver. When the driver has driven off I grab Josh’s hand and pull him after me into the cafe.

`Nothing has changed!’ I exclaim looking at the old place in awe.

`Well you have only been gone for four months.’

`I know, I guess I just kinda thought I’d come back and it’d be closed down or something, this is way
better than I expected, it’s just like it was ten years ago.’

`May?’ a deep voice says from beside me. I turn around and see the short, plump, grey-haired man that addressed me.

`Joe!’ I let go of Josh’s hand to hug the man tightly.

`May, I thought you’d never come back! Where have you been?’

`I went to London! Then Los Angeles!’

`But you’re back for good now?’

`I’m afraid not. I’m in New York for only a few days.’

`I’ve missed you being around. You used to brighten up my week with your singing.’

`I’ve missed singing with you!’

I turn to Josh.

`Josh this is Joe, owner of this place and an old friend of my dad’s. Joe, this is Josh my boyfriend.’

Both men shake hands, smiling widely at each other.

`Come, sit down!’ Joe takes us to the booth nearest the window where I always used to sit. The place is empty except for a few people lazily sipping coffee in the corner and one man at the bar eating pancakes. He sits down with us.

`So where did you two meet?’ he asks.

`In England! I met Josh’s sister in London and she invited me to stay at their home, I met Josh and it pretty much went on from there.’

`And what do you do Josh? Where do you work?’

`I’m in a band.’

`Huh. A band? I guess there’s not much of an income there. Are you sure you’re able to fully support
my May?’

`Josh’s band is quite famous actually. They’re in Los Angeles to record their new album. I’m working for them on tour too.’

`So you can support my May financially?’

`Yes, most definitely.’

`And you love her?’

`Absolutely.’

`And he treats you well?’ he asks me.

`Yes, he’s perfect.’ I squeeze Josh’s hand under the table.

`Then I approve! Congratulations, you make such a sweet couple.’

`Thanks Joe.’ I say smiling. Joe seems to think he’s taken over the role of my father then!

`Now, what can I get you both?’

`The usual for me.’ I say. `And the same for Josh too and a coffee and toast for my Mom.’

`Coming right up!’ Joe winks at us before going into the kitchens.

`So what are we having?’ Josh asks.

`Pancakes with strawberries, whipped cream and syrup and Vanilla milkshakes. That ok?’

`Definitely.’

`Oh! There’s my Mom!’ I point to the woman stood at the door, looking around. I stand up and she immediately spots me.

She walks over to us and Josh also gets out of the booth.

`Hey Mom.’ I hug her briefly before standing back, `Mom, meet Josh, Josh meet my Mom.’

`It’s so nice to finally meet you’ Josh says, kissing her on both cheeks. My mother blushes and giggles slightly.

`You too. Please call me Julia.’

`Take a seat Mom. What would you like to order?’

`Just a coffee and some toast for me please.’ She says, sitting in the booth.

`I’ll just go order that.’ I say but Josh grabs my hand.

`I’ll get this.’ He smiles, beckoning me to sit down with my Mom. He walks over to the bar and I sit opposite my mom in the booth.

`He is cute!’

`I know!’

`The pictures really don’t do him justice and he’s so polite!’

`Pictures? Mom, did you Google him?’

`Maybe, I just wanted to know you were going to be safe with this boy. You look very happy with each other, neither of you can get that smile off your faces.’ She teases.

`I’m just really excited you get to meet him. I never suspected we’d be able to actually come to New
York.’

`It’s so nice being able to see you again. You seem the happiest I've ever seen you.’

Josh comes back then, sliding into the booth next to me. I reach out under the table and lace my fingers with his.

`So, Josh, please tell me more about yourself.’

And then as I eat my pancakes I listen to Josh telling my Mom about everything from his early childhood in Cyprus, to attending school in Surrey, to the early days of the band, to how the album recording is going. My Mom has clearly been thinking of a lot of questions to ask him since I told her we were coming to meet her. When she’s satisfied by Josh’s whole life story she asks us what we’re doing for the rest of our trip.

`Well, I’m taking the boys sightseeing but we haven’t got much planned.’

`Ok, would you two like to come over for dinner tomorrow?’

`We’d love to.’ Josh answers before I can say anything.

`I’ll see you at six then! But now, I must be getting to work. It was so lovely to meet you Josh; I can see you two are made for each other.’ She kisses us both on the cheek and Josh even gets a hug,

`How much do I owe you for the breakfast?’ she asks.

`Don’t worry about it, I've got this one.’ Josh smiles.

`No, honey, I’ll pay.’

`Honestly, it’s the least I can do.’

`Oh, well thank you. I’ll see you tomorrow.’ Josh gets another kiss on the cheek before she hurries
out of the cafe.

`She loves you.’ I say, `she actually loves you.’

`You expected any less?’ he winks.

`No, but still she really, really likes you. I’m sorry about all the questioning by the way. I think she’s just worried that I don’t know you well enough because everything happened so quickly.’

`It’s fine, I expected as much.’

`She’s so going to get my baby pictures out tomorrow.’

`Well in that case, I can’t wait!’

Josh goes to pay for our food and we both say bye to Joe with a promise we’ll come back next time we’re in the city.

“We’re all in Central Park. The boats are awaiting us…” Matt had texted me.

`Looks like we’re going on the lake Franceschi.’
♠ ♠ ♠
Mays outfit- http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=60365718

Music that inspired me:
Literally anything by The Beatles.