The Black Lupin

Dreams

Harry sat up panting for air as he felt his body drenched in cold sweat “Harry are you okay?” he heard someone whispered and his nerves jumped, he realised he had his wand grasped tightly in his hand ready to protect himself from whatever he felt was endangering him right now. “Lumos” someone whispered and the place lit up “Ron put that thing out are you trying to get us all killed” Harry snapped and something was mumbled before darkness descended once again.

In the brief moment of bright light Harry’s eyes had burnt but he’d seen Hermione and Ron laid close by watching him, “Harry what’s wrong?” Hermione whispered “Nothing, I just thought I heard something” he lied and she sighed. “Dreams again?” she asked and Harry nodded slowly knowing she’d not see but she knew that the answer was yes.

“What this time?” she said, “It makes no sense, there’s someone there all the time but I can’t see their face!” “The girl?” Ron asked, “Yeah, it’s impossible to see who she really is. These aren’t like the dreams I’ve had before, they were so life like and these aren’t. It’s like I’m watching a grainy memory or someone else’s dreams” he tried to explain and the others nodded trying to think of an explanation.

“Hang on, maybe that’s it!” “What’s it Ron?” Hermione asked, “Before when you were dreaming you were seeing what was really happening, he was making you see it or the connection was making you see it…” “Or he was making you think it was real when it wasn’t” Hermione cut in as a reminder. “Yeah, he’s aware the connection exists. It works both ways, he must be able to access it the same way you do that’s why Dumbledore was so keen on you closing it off. Stopping him learning where you are” Ron explained and Harry waited for the punch line.

“What are you getting at Ronald?” Hermione asked tired “If these are grainy like Harry says maybe your watching his dreams, maybe this isn’t real life that you’re seeing but rather his dreams. What if the connection is accessing his dreams or nightmares? I mean he has to have dreams so why couldn’t you see them?” Ron finished and Hermione gasped.

“That’s it Ron, your seeing his dreams! Think about the things you’ve been seeing: the running, the failures, and the past. It’s classic dreaming!” Hermione said. “But the girl?” Harry reminded “She obviously means something to him” “But I’ve never seen her before, everyone that meant anything to him was in that graveyard the night…” Harry trailed off at the memory of the graveyard.

“Maybe she’s dead, maybe she was in prison, maybe she’s got other things to be doing” “What like errands to run?” Harry replied sarcastically. “Harry come on, he wouldn’t have dreams about a girl that was a nobody to him, he’s killed so many people that they mean nothing to him. It’s the ones that are alive that mean something, if people do mean anything, to him. What if she’s in his dreams so often because she has such a important role to his survival?” Hermione reasoned.

“And what if she is?” Harry asked, “Then you need to find her and you need to know about her at least!” “Why?” Ron stated, “Because if she’s so important to him that he dreams about her this often then she could be essential to beat him, you need to know about her in case she’s out here looking for you. You need to talk to someone who might know her,” Hermione ordered as the tent door opened and they all jumped.

“What’s going on in here?” a voice asked and they recognised it to be Sirius “Nothing” Harry lied “Harry’s having dreams again but they’re different this time” Hermione answered. “Yeah we think it might be his dreams that Harry’s seeing, there’s girl in them and he doesn’t know who she is but she’s been in them a lot” Ron added and Harry sighed.

“Harry you’re having dreams again?” Sirius said “Yeah, it’s nothing” he tried to play them down “I told you to tell me about any dreams you had, Harry talk to me about them” Sirius demanded so Harry told him everything. “You never hear her name or see her face?” “No never, all I could tell you is that she’s average height, slim, dark black hair, white skin, she has a strange accent but she doesn’t always talk with it. She sounds cold when she talks, her robes look like they’re not hers and they’re torn and old” Harry explained trying to piece her together and Sirius nodded listening.

“You’ve never seen her face?” “No it’s always covered by her robes or in the shadows. Voldemort seems to know her and trust in her,” Harry admitted and Sirius nodded. “Does her voice sound gravelly almost raspy?” Sirius asked and Harry shook his head “It’s cold and clean, the way she speaks seems to cut at you when you hear it. She’s one of them you can tell” Harry explained and Sirius stayed quiet trying to get the image in his head that Harry was describing whilst trying to compare it to anyone he could think of.

“Sirius it might sound crazy but whenever she’s in the dream and I wake up I can smell something” “What?” he asked “Lavender” Harry replied. “Lavender?” “Yeah, like its in her hair and her skin. It smells like she’s pure lavender but that can’t be right can it?” Harry asked and Sirius mind clicked into place. It was her, she was alive! “No Harry that must be a clue as to where he is nothing to do with her. Try to sleep and I’ll see if anyone recognises her but don’t mention it to people, he might realise your connection is open again and use it to his advantage. Try to sleep all of you” Sirius mumbled getting up and leaving.

Sirius wasn’t going to ask anyone; he didn’t need to. The girl Harry had described seemed like a distant stranger to him now but the smell he said he smelt was her alright. The fact she had smelt of lavender had always fascinated him, he’d asked how she did it but she just shrugged him off; she was younger than him but so much more cooler than him.

He hadn’t seen her in 10 years now but it sounded like she’d changed, hell how old would she be now? He himself had just turned 38 and she was the same age as his little brother who was due to turn 28 anytime so that meant she must be 28 now. Harry was 17 and she’d left Hogwarts before he started so she was definitely 28, she must’ve been around 10 the last time he saw her in the flesh but he’d sure as hell seen photos of her since and she wasn’t the young girl she’d been.

He couldn’t sleep that night and the next week she stayed on the edge of his mind until he pushed her from it concentrating on the matter at hand, keeping Harry safe. They were walking though the forest when Harry appeared at his side and he struck up an empty conversation about the weather. By the end of the night Hermione had caught him alone “Did you work her out?” “Who?” Sirius asked “The girl in the dreams?” “Oh no, nobody recognises her but people change over time Hermione. It could be anyone, if she’s young we might not know her at all, she could be a new recruit or anything” Sirius tried to cover himself and she nodded.