The Black Lupin

Master

7.55pm came around and there was a knock on the door “Come in!” she shouted and a nervous looking Neville walked through the door “Sit down” she stated and he sat at the front opposite her desk. “Neville have you always struggled with Potions?” she asked and he nodded “Why did you carry on to do it as a N.E.W.T then?” “My grandma wants me too and Professor McGonagall agreed to let me try it for 3 months, if I’m not going to do well then I have to drop it” he mumbled and she nodded.

“You do realise the way your going you’ll be dropping it. Why do you struggle with Potions?” she said and he shook his head “Do you struggle with the instructions, knowing what to do and when, do you struggle to understand why it does what it does or what?” she asked and he gulped.

Something about her terrified him “A-All of it” he stuttered and she nodded “Potions is simply a precise skill, follow the instructions exactly to the word and you’ll get what you want. There’s nothing more to it,” she admitted standing up. “Lets try a simple Polyjuice Potion,” she said smiling motioning him to a cauldron on the side.

They’d put all the ingredients in apart from one “So what else do we need?” she asked “Erm…erm” “What does Polyjuice Potion do?” she said looking at him “Turns you into someone?” he asked and she nodded “So what do we need?” “Something of there’s” he said quietly and she nodded.

“Exactly, you’d need a hair or something from the individual you wish to look like temporarily” she stated, “So do you understand better now?” she asked and he nodded “Yeah, its just everyone gets it and I don’t” he complained. “Longbottom, it took me awhile to crack Potions. It couldn’t get my head around it, I thought there as something far more complicated to it than what there really was. I spent hours reading books and trying but one day I realised it’s not what I don’t know it’s what I try to know. You try to think instead of follow, you can do it,” she explained smiling and he nodded back.

“What did you get in Potions?” “O, how many N.E.W.T’s are you taking?” she asked “4” “Let me guess; Potions, Charms, Herbology and Defence Against?” she said and he nodded. “I’ve heard you’re the best Herbology student in your year, I was terrible at it. That and Muggle Studies, but what use does that do you in the outside world” she admitted laughing as she sat on the desk.

“How is Professor Lupin? He was my favourite Defence teacher?” Neville asked, “Oh he’s fine, now let me see that timetable of yours” she stated holding her hand out and he pulled it from his robe pocket handing her it quietly and she nodded. She grabbed the quill on her desk and crossed out a free period handing it back “You no longer have that free time, you will instead be down here. If anybody asks your studying and you want to be left alone, do not tell anyone that your down here and I’m helping you with Potions because you’ll get me in trouble and it’s something I don’t need right now. Now off you go back to your dorm and don’t forget to do your homework,” she said moving stuff back into the cupboards as Neville left.

Draco was sat at breakfast the next morning when an owl dropped a note on his lap ‘You know where to go, be there at the arranged time. I will be there, Remy’ he read before putting it in his pocket and carrying on with his breakfast. He walked nervously down the corridor in the dull afternoon light looking around to make sure he was alone; he reached the room checking around once more before walking into the Room of Requirement.

He found the wardrobe and stepped inside taking deep breaths to calm his nerves before opening the door again and stepping into his house, the temperature dropped dramatically and he could hear voices “Don’t you tell me what to do Bellatrix! I don’t recall you being at Hogwarts” “If I was the issue would be solved!” a voice shouted back and Draco new it was that of his aunt Bellatrix Lestrange.

“You can’t even keep Snatchers occupied! This doesn’t concern you so leave!” the other shouted back and he knew it would be Remy, her and Bellatrix argued constantly. “How dare you!” Bellatrix growled “Enough! Put your wand away Bellatrix! She has a strong point, now Bellatrix be gone” the cold voice of The Dark Lord ordered.

“But Master…” “No! Your place is to run this house as our headquarters. You have no place in this business, this does not involve you,” he stated. “Master I want to do more, let me help” Bellatrix begged “Your help is not required, Remy has it covered and she does it well now be gone” he said coldly and the door shut. Draco knew why Bellatrix argued with Remy so often, Bellatrix had been a faithful follower of The Dark Lord’s, she’d never doubted him and always done what was asked of her and more but Remy had pushed her out. Regulus and Remy had been favoured by him and now Regulus had gone Remy was relied on to carry out tasks.

What had once been Bellatrix’s job was now Remy’s and it was clear all the others favoured Remy far more than they did Bellatrix and she hated it! Bellatrix hated being second best to anyone and Remy was an issue because her brother was a member of The Order. Draco moved up the stairs slowly before knocking on the door “Who is it?” Remy questioned “Draco” he replied and the door opened to reveal Remy holding her wand at the door but she lowered it when she saw he was alone.

“Come in and close the door Draco” she stated and he did as he was told walking to stand opposite her as The Dark Lord stood at the fire which was emitting a small amount of warmth into the room. Draco opened his mouth but Remy shook her head at him and he stopped “Early Draco, you bring good news I hope” The Dark Lord stated.

“I-I’ve watched Potter closely and I’m trying to complete his timetable so I know where he is at all times” “So the answer is no! What good is this to me?” he snapped and Draco froze “I-I thought maybe…if I know where he is if I had to…it would make getting him alone easier” Draco stumbled over his words.

“So you have yet to learn what he knows, if he does know anything?” he said his cold voice cutting through Draco like ice, Draco looked at Remy wide eyed and she nodded “Master if I may?” she asked and he stayed quiet. “Draco and Potter have never been friends, in fact they’re some what enemies surely Draco rushing into this would be unwise. Potter, while he may be a lot of things he is not stupid and neither are those around him; to be too quick would be harmful to us I believe. I know you must want him now and trust me we all want him here now but rushing this would ruin any chance Draco has, this is a new school year and Potter has just settled into his routine and now Draco can observe it and then start to learn things about him. He needs to gain some form of trust in Draco, we just need to find a common ground between them” Remy explained.

Draco looked at her thanking her for saving him and she looked quickly at The Dark Lord’s back before he spoke again “A common ground you say? What sort of common ground do thy have?” he asked “Your parents” Remy mouthed at Draco who nodded “Our parents maybe master? Potter is a sucker for a sob story; I could perhaps try to gain his trust through claiming I miss my parents and access that part of his mind” Draco suggested and he whipped around to face them both.

“Malfoy this is a good idea, I hear Potter is one to fall for others’ emotional plight. Do you think it wise Remy?” he asked and she nodded “Very much so my lord, Draco can do this. I trust in his abilities, it is after all your decision my lord” she stated her eyes watching him closely.

Draco wasn’t sure what to make of her; she was undoubtedly a talented witch who was more than capable of holding her own but something had changed since the death of her friend Regulus. She’d got a different look to her these days, before she seemed colder than she was now. It was obvious she was in the circle of trust and her and Severus spent a lot of time talking.

“Keep your eye on him Remy, you may go back now Malfoy” he said and Draco nodded “I must also leave Master, I don’t anyone getting suspicious” she informed and he nodded. They left the room together in silence and she ushered Draco into the wardrobe as Severus Snape walked past “Severus, may I talk to you a minute?” she asked and he nodded as she closed the wardrobe door.

Draco waited for her and when she exited the wardrobe in the room of requirement he smiled at her “Thank you” “I said I would protect you Draco, I keep my word. Now return to your bed, if your stopped tell them I had you doing detention and didn’t realise the time” she offered and he nodded. “Professor Lupin may I ask you something?” she nodded as he shifted his feet.

“What happened to Regulus?” he asked she turned away from him “You know” “I know he died but why?” he said and she looked at the wardrobe intensely “I can’t tell you it all but he got involved in something that was too dangerous for him and he died, nothing else I can say. Now off to bed Draco” she explained and he nodded walking off.

She walked out the room of requirement pulled her robes tight around her and walked through the corridors and out the main doors; she walked down to where Hogsmeade was and then disapparated. She appeared on a street before a house appeared in front of her and she entered the house in silence, she heard a fire in the kitchen and crept in sitting in front of staring into the flames.