The Black Lupin

Reaction

The others started to appear and Remy pushed herself up “I’m going to bed” she mumbled and Sirius stood before looking at Harry who nodded and he followed her. “Remus is she…” “Better? Yes Okay? No.” he answered going quiet, later that day Neville walked in before Harry took him upstairs knocking on Sirius’ door and it opened slowly, “I have someone to see Professor Lupin” “Hi Professor” Neville stated.

“I don’t think this is…” “It’s Remy and Longbottom what do you want?” she asked and he smiled “Some help with some potions or spells maybe, promise to not flood the room” he offered and she sat up against the wall. “You shouldn’t make a promise you can’t keep Neville, I haven’t got a cauldron” she answered him; “I have,” he laughed holding one up and she smiled at him.

“Well in that case I guess I have no other option do I Neville, come on in” she said and he smiled walking in “I’ll be downstairs with your brother” Sirius offered before leaving them and Harry watched the door close as Neville started talking to her. “Harry do not worry about you friend, she is increasingly fond of that boy and you’ll find Remy can be a very different girl when given a chance” Sirius reassured as they walked off.

Neville mentioned it was Remy’s birthday the next day and persuaded Harry, Hermione and Ron to help him organise something. She was sat upstairs reading her books when Remus knocked on the door, “Remy come downstairs it’s time to eat” he stated and she looked at him shaking her head.

“No come on” he said grabbing her hand and dragging her up, she let him and he opened the door stepping aside when the room burst in to song singing Happy Birthday. She stared at them all “Who did this?” she asked looking at Remus “Don’t look at me, it was all Neville’s idea” he defended and she ran at Neville hugging him, he jumped slightly before patting her back awkwardly, I mean hugging a professor wasn’t allowed right?

“Harry, Ron and Hermione helped” Neville reasoned and she let go of him, she grabbed the other 3 hugging them all in one go and Ron looked at Harry worried as Hermione laughed. Remus started to laugh as she let them go “Excuse her enthusiasm she’s never had a birthday party before” Remus offered, before long everyone was talking and dancing.

Someone grabbed her wrist and she jumped only to see Sirius, who smiled motioning her to go with him, “Happy birthday Remy” he smiled holding something out and she took it opening it to reveal a silver necklace “I know you’ve always liked it and well I’m the only Black left, I don’t have much need for a woman’s necklace” he offered. She grabbed him hugging him against her and he smiled squeezing her back, she kissed his cheek making him smile.

“You know after awhile you get used to the lavender smell, then you leave and I realise it’s gone too,” he said and she smiled, “Are you sure you should return to the castle?” she nodded slowly. “Is it safe there for you?” “Severus is there, nowhere is truly safe” she answered him and he sighed, “Maybe I should come with you,” “Of course they wouldn’t notice a resident black dog in my classes or an Azkaban escapee wandering around. Your presence would only make things more unsafe for me” she explained.

“Then stay here, do not return” “I have to, I must stay with Draco and the others. I cannot hide forever,” she mumbled and he nodded “If I must then you can also, we’ll hide together” he offered and she smiled “One day you’ll be free Sirius, one day” she reassured and he nodded. They appeared back and Remus grabbed her hugging her and she smiled, “Remus I’m sorry,” she mumbled and he pulled away.

“Gracie it’s okay, everything is fine” he reassured kissing her forehead and she smiled at him, she was in bed later when she rolled over looking down on Sirius on the floor. “Sirius?” she whispered and he nodded his eyes still closed making her smile “I’m scared to go back” his eyes opened, “You know you have to go back” “So much for us hiding together forever” she mocked and he laughed quietly.

“You have nothing to fear, Dumbledore is at that castle so he won’t go and well Severus protects you enough” he reasoned and she shook her head as he sat up, “Why are you scared?” “What if he realises what I’m doing? What if I’m not as good as I thought?” “Remy you’d beat me in a duel if you really tried, you’re a great witch!” he complimented and she nodded.

“I just wish I could ignore it all, I don’t want to do this anymore. I can’t just go on and on like this. What if he wins? Then what?” she asked, “He won’t! We try everyday to stop that happening and he won’t win” “How do you know? If he wins I have to spend my whole life doing that again or I die for being like you guys” she complained and he nodded.

“Harry can do this” “I just don’t want to go back that way,” she admitted and he smiled at her “You won’t, I’m as tired as you are of all this but it has to be done” he offered. “What was it like in Azkaban?” “Awful, I spent every minute thinking about what I’d lost and what I’d never have. You don’t know sadness and loneliness until you’ve been there, I felt like I’d died with James but that I had somehow been trapped in hell” he admitted sounding distant and she looked at him again.

“What’s it like being with him?” “Cold, you feel everything and nothing at once. You feel frozen yet you’re burning, he makes you feel like you’re the most special thing and then he can make you feel worthless. I felt like I had a true purpose and that I was respected but I wasn’t, Regulus made me see that; just not soon enough” she explained and he nodded.

“Why do you stay there, we don’t need you to stay with him. If you left we’d protect you” “Draco, I can’t leave him. I stayed with his family whilst being with the Dark Lord. I taught him things, when his parents died he came to me, I live in that house with him now, he’s just a boy and he’s lost everything. I can’t just leave him to them, he needs protection and I can’t deny him that. When Regulus died it was Draco who spent time with me, he’s almost family to me” she admitted feeling tears in her eyes and Sirius grabbed her hand.

He leant forward kissing her and she glared at him “Sirius my…” “Oh I don’t care about what your brother will say, he’s marrying a Hufflepuff! Nobody has ever made me more annoyed, more frustrated than you but nobody else has ever captivated me quite as much. Even at your worst you pull me in, I don’t care what you’ve been because I know who you truly are. You are so brave, so brilliant” he cut across her and she let him stop.