The Black Lupin

Why?

“Harry don’t just stand there, come in if you want or leave” Sirius stated and Harry walked into the room where Sirius was laid on the bare floor staring at the ceiling. The rooms in the house were all dusty and smelt of damp and abandonment “Can I ask you a question?” “You just did do didn’t you?” Sirius replied and Harry nodded slowly.

“What’s wrong?” he stated and Sirius shook his head “Okay” Harry said turning to leave and Sirius sighed “Fine but shut the door” he whispered and Harry did as he was told. “Harry I’ve done things in my life I’m not proud of but I think I made a big mistake” he whispered and Harry felt uneasy. “I been talking to Remy ever since she left” “What?” Harry shouted and Sirius quietened him.

“I know Harry” “Sirius she’s a death eater” Harry reminded and Sirius nodded. “Harry have you ever known somebody so well you understand them without them needing to explain it to you?” Sirius asked and Harry nodded “And do any of these people have siblings?” “Yes, Ron’s got family” Harry answered. “Do you see Ron in them sometimes? The things they say and do, do they sometimes remind you of him?” Sirius questioned and Harry had to admit they did.

The way his older brothers seemed to swallow their pride and do what was asked of them, the way when they were scared they’d try at making a joke to cover it. “I guess so” “Then maybe you can half understand why I don’t have an issue with Remy like the others, she may appear to be the opposite of her brother Remus but she still behaves very much like him” Sirius admitted.

“Sirius Remus is brave, honest, he’s friendly and kind, he looked after me and taught me what I needed to know, he’s clever and he’s not evil!” Harry argued back and Sirius nodded “I don’t expect you to totally understand it, you know everything you just listed; well that’s Remy as well. She’s not evil, she’s just angry. You know how you hated living at The Dursley’s and the way they treated you?” Sirius said and Harry nodded remembering all the years of being treated like dirt.

“Well she’s not vastly different to you, looked over in favour of her brother and forgotten while her parents treated their werewolf son as something special to overcompensate for the fact he was far from normal. She went to Hogwarts and her along with Regulus fell into a dangerous crowd, then her parents grew angry when they found out and she was finally getting attention for something so she kept going until it was too late. I wish I could say we weren’t to blame but we were, Remus used to let their parents over look her, James and I used to pick on her for being strange” Sirius explained looking at the floor.

“She didn’t seem to hate you” Harry pointed out and Sirius sighed “Fine your father picked on her but I wasn’t exactly sticking up for her. Pettigrew had a thing for her; well it wasn’t exactly a ‘thing’. He recognised she was a clever girl and that she had a power to her and he stuck to her and I didn’t like it, I thought he was taking advantage of her as he used to make her do his homework” Sirius said shaking his head.

“Power?” “She commands a room, she has this power to her presence. It’s increasingly difficult to explain but you must feel it, she makes you aware she’s to be feared without doing a single thing and that’s how she’s always been. I know Remy and I know she won’t hurt any of us unless forced to” Sirius stated looking at Harry.

“But surely that doesn’t mean we should trust her?” Harry asked and Sirius smiled “No it doesn’t but she’s lost without my brother. Imagine losing Ron or Hermione Harry and tell me you wouldn’t feel the way she does? They’re both 28 and they met at the age of 2, for 26 years they’ve been best friends, they’ve done everything together and now he’s dead. She’s alone Harry, her family don’t want her and her only true friend has been killed, she wants someone to blame and she wants someone to look after her,” Sirius whispered.

“I’ve treated her badly before and I don’t want to make the mistake again. Just promise me not to tell a soul and give Draco a break at school this year” Sirius smiled and Harry nodded smiling. “Right go and get ready because we’re going to The Burrow tonight” Sirius changed the subject and Harry left him alone again.