Teen Angst

26

The next morning I sat with Marcus and the older Slytherin’s at breakfast, I ignored the others as I walked to class only to sit down in my usual seat and Draco sat at my side. “Christy where’s your…” “Professor I was wondering if I could ask you something?” I stated and he nodded. “Well we’ve been learning about Wolfsbane Potions in Potion class and I wondered what could we do if we came across a werewolf?” I asked and he looked at me.

“I don’t see how this is relevant” he answered and I rolled my eyes before smiling at him as he faced me “Professor I understand that Wolfsbane just allows a werewolf to maintain a level of intelligence they do not normally possess during transformation, Professor Snape also made it clear that not all werewolves are capable of brewing this potion or that they merely do not wish to take it. I just wondered, as our Defence Against The Dark Arts teacher, whether you could tell me any other way to protect ourselves from them?” I pushed and he stood up from his desk.

“Miss Groshank werewolves are not a dark art therefore not my problem to solve” “But Professor your job is surely to teach us and prepare us for what is out there and to ensure we are capable of protecting ourselves against anything that could threaten our life? I know you can’t stop someone being a werewolf I just wondered what can we do, say there was a werewolf in the castle and we came across it; what should we do?” I asked and I saw Harry, Ron and Hermione look my way.

“There are no dangerous werewolves within this castle so…” “How can you be sure Professor, I understand this maybe isn’t an issue that you’re supposed to teach us but I am extremely curious on the matter and well I’m sure I’m not the only one who would want to know how to protect myself against a werewolf, if I ever had the misfortune of coming across one” I added and he sighed.

He went on to talk about how best to restrain or distract a werewolf and I smiled to myself, the rest of the day I stayed away from the others sitting with Zabini instead. I sat in the common room when Marcus Flint glared at me and I rolled my eyes getting up and running upstairs pulling a plain black robe on and grabbing my own broom and walking downstairs and he grinned at me walking out with me.

“I knew you’d come around to my thinking, one confession. I don’t have any other beaters trying out, its just you” he admitted and I shook my head “Miss Groshank!” a voice shouted and I froze hearing footsteps. “Where are you going?” “Professor, Marcus asked me…” Marcus cut me off, “We’re a beater down for our next match and I know she’s good so I asked her to play for us. She told me she didn’t really have the time but I begged her, Slytherin need a beater if they stand a chance of winning the game and the house cup. I just wanted to make Slytherin proud Professor” Marcus smiled and Snape rolled his eyes.

“Fine but we need to talk Groshank, there’s been some serious questions getting asked” he stated and I knew he meant my little persistent question asking in Defence Against The Dark Arts the other day but I was too busy worrying about how I was going to stay away from Draco at Quidditch practise.

I managed to get through quidditch practise without having to talk to Draco or go near him and when we left I headed straight to Professor Snape’s office; I knocked the door and it opened “Oh sorry Professor, I’ll come back…” “No, come in Groshank” he stated and I did as I was told looking between himself and Professor Lupin.

“I think we need to talk, I’ve been made aware of you asking some very strange questions,” Snape explained and I nodded “Professor you’d been teaching us about Wolfsbane Potion and I was just asking an appropriate question, I thought Professor Lupin was the best person to ask as he…” “You know Professor you can say what you want about Slytherin’s but they are not stupid” Snape cut in and I looked between them.

“Severus I think your giving more credit to the girl than is due” “Christy what did you ask me the other day in Hogsmeade, its okay say it” Snape assured and I looked at the floor. “Christy” “Werewolf, he-he’s a werewolf” I stuttered and Professor Lupin looked at me. “That’s nonsense” “Oh Remus don’t patronise the girl, she’s maybe not a Gryffindor but she is not stupid” Severus cut back.

“Please do explain what you see so promising in this young girl Severus?” “Oh Remus I’m not the only one who has noticed her talents in magic. Flitwick has commented on her command of spell work, the girl is the best in her year” Snape argued as I stood there trying to focus on anything but them two arguing.

“Granger is better than her!” “Only because Granger has been given the out right chance to take more classes then anyone else. You tell me yourself that you think Granger has a stronger grasp on spell work than Groshank but be prepared to prove it” Snape growled standing up and walking towards me. “Groshank come on!” he snapped and I followed him.