Teen Angst

5

I ripped open the door “Hey Fletcher!” I shouted and he looked at me as his 3 friends stopped talking “Excuse me?” “You, picking on first years” I snapped. “What’s it to you?” “A lot when it’s my little brother, I swear if you upset him again you’ll regret it!” I threatened, “I’m a sixth year, I’ll do what I want” “I don’t care if you’re a sixth year or minister! You upset my brother again and I’ll find you, pick on someone your own size,” I shouted.

“Oh I’m scared,” he said laughing and his friends laughed with him “You will be when your father finds out or gets fired from his post at the ministry! I heard your mum just got fired too, bet living in a family with no money would be tough” I growled “H-How did you know?” “Errol Groshank” I stated. “My father’s boss told you that?” “Your father’s boss is my father! Stay away from my brother” I shouted before motioning at Skylar to come to me.

He said something to the others in the carriage before walking off down the corridor with me. We got to Hogwarts and got off the train and I told him I’d see him later on and by the time I got to the carriages everyone had gone “Stupid toad, now I’m going to be on my own going up to the castle and I’ll be late and Snape will…” “Your not the only one who’s late” I cut in and he jumped.

I smiled “Sorry I didn’t mean to scare you, I thought I might be the only one left down here and I’d have to catch one up on my own” I admitted and he shook his head “Thanks about before with my brother, it’s his first year and he’s a bit over excited about the whole thing. That’s why I’m late, I was making sure he’d gone with the others,” I explained and he nodded again. “I lost Trevor” “I’m surprised he didn’t appear in my brothers pocket, he’s obsessed with toads. I tried to tell him an owl would be more useful but he won’t listen to me” I replied smiling.

“So are you happy to be back?” “Yeah I guess, better than being at home I guess,” he mumbled as a carriage came into view “These things always creep me out you know, so did you get up to much over summer?” I asked trying to start a conversation as the carriage stopped and we got in. “Not really, I’ve seen a few friends you?” “The same, some family came over and he brought his girlfriend who is a muggle. She has no clue about magic so we had to do everything without magic, really weird. The time they must waste doing things when we use magic is amazing, she had this really weird thing hat she could talk to people on, I still don’t understand how she did it” I rambled and he just nodded.

“I remember how nervous I was when I was a first year, I thought the sorting would be some big scary thing but actually the whole thing was fine. It felt like the hat knew where I was going before I even got the hat on my head, it didn’t hang around it just shouted Slytherin. Were all your family in Gryffindor?” I asked and he nodded “I take it your were all Slytherin” he stated. “Nope I’m the first one, my parents were in Ravenclaw and my grandfather went to Durmstrang. I think my grandmother was in Hufflepuff, I guess Skylar might be in Gryffindor; I mean we’re due one of them” I joked and he smiled.

The carriage jerked to a halt and Neville waited for me to get out the carriage before getting down after me, we made our way to the main entrance where I saw Professor Snape waiting. “He terrifies me” “I’ll sort it out, he’s not that bad you know” I replied smiling, “If my brother does end up in Gryffindor tonight, can you remind him what the password is before he leaves in the morning because he’s quite forgetful when he gets excited about things?” I asked and he nodded.

“I forgot the password about 20 times in my first year, I still do it sometimes now” he admitted and I laughed, “Longbottom, Groshank why are you late?” Snape snapped “Sorry professor, my brother got lost in all the commotion on the platform and I tried to find him. Neville had found him crying and helped him find me, sorry I was just really nervous because my father made me promise to look after him and I’d lost him once of the train so I just wanted to make sure he got on the boats okay and that he wasn’t nervous and wish him good luck for the sorting. Sorry” I lied and he sighed.

“Very well, if you want to see him get sorted I suggest you get into the hall quickly as the ceremony starts any second” he replied and I nodded walking towards the great hall doors. I walked in seeing Draco straight away and sitting at his side “Where were you?” he whispered “Making sure Skylar got on the boats and then the carriages had all gone so I had to wait for another one” I explained and he nodded.

“He’s nervous, Crabbe told him if he didn’t get in Slytherin he was a disgrace. You wait until he falls asleep in the common room chairs again” I replied and he smiled “I’ll get him in his sleep as well” he said winking and I laughed at him. The sorting started and then I heard my brothers name called “Here he goes” Draco whispered and I felt nervous for him “Hell be fine” he reassured grabbing my hand as I saw Skylar sit down.

He slowly put the hat on his head and it moved a little as if getting comfy on his head, Skylar swung his feet nervously and I closed my eyes tight “Slytherin!” the voice called and I heard Draco cheer and felt him stand up as I opened my eyes. Draco let go of my hand as he clapped and I started clapping as well standing up and we waved at Skylar as he sat down further down the table.

We all started to eat and I watched Skylar talk to some of the first years and Draco nudged me “Are you trying out for Qudditch this year?” he asked and I shook my head “I’m going to that duelling club though, you?” “I’m trying out and I guess I’ll come see you get beaten at duelling club,” he teased and I glared at him as he laughed.