Teen Angst

6

“Skylar Groshank welcome to Slytherin!” Draco shouted and my brother beamed at him “Your halfway to that toad already” he stated and smiled as Skylar’s eyes widened. It was the end of the first week back at school and I’d slipped into the routine easily while making sure Skylar was doing okay and Draco said he’d made friends and the boys in his dormitory were all like him. I was walking through the corridors towards the library when I heard a funny noise and I stopped before looking around.

The noise was coming from the shadows near an old classroom and I crept towards it to see a toad on the floor, I crouched down picking it up and it sat happily in my hand “So let me guess, a toad roaming lose around Hogwarts; your either a new students pet or you’re the infamous Trevor who has a habit of running away” I said to the toad and it just blinked at me.

The corridor led to the Gryffindor common room so I presumed it was the latter “So Trevor lets go find Neville shall we?” I asked wandering off down the corridor but I reached the Fat Lady and nobody was around. I sighed before sitting down waiting for someone to come along and sure enough about 10 minutes later the picture frame swung open and out crawled Neville.

“Lost your toad again Longbottom?” shouted a passing student and he just nodded; he sighed walking away from the picture frame that had closed. “I wouldn’t bother looking for him,” I said and he jumped looking at me “I happened to find a toad roaming the corridors, so I was right wasn’t I! You are the infamous Trevor Longbottom,” I stated looking at the toad smiling.

“You trying to set some form of record Longbottom? You know, the most times a student’s lost their pet” I joked and he looked at me nervously “I suppose you’ll be wanting him back won’t you?” I asked holding him out and he took him from me. it fell awkwardly quiet “Thanks for bringing him back” “It’s okay, I figured someone would miss him. Guess we’re equal now, you found my brother and I found your toad. I’d call that quits” I said smiling.

He nodded “You didn’t get your Gryffindor but I guess you got another Slytherin” “Yeah I think they were a bit upset they hadn’t got one in every house but you can’t have everything can you?” I replied and he smiled. “You forgotten your password yet?” he shook his head “Skylar has 4 times, that has to be a record. I never got locked out the common room but then Draco must have the password burnt into his mind because he remembers every password we’ve had, there’s bonuses to having him as a friend” I smiled and he looked down at the frog.

“Well anyway I better get back before a prefect comes and tells me off thinking I’m going to break into the Gryffindor common room, plus I’ve got homework to do and a Crabbe to pick on so bye” I said turning to walk away. “Look where your going Potter” I heard Draco snide “Or what Malfoy?” Harry spat back “Or maybe I make you look where your going” Draco cut back.

I knew that Draco was incredibly harsh on Harry and his friends but then Harry was no nicer back to Draco, they were both as bad as each other. Draco wasn’t very tolerant of people, he didn’t suffer people he didn’t have to but then that was bred into him from his father. Mr Malfoy was very mean looking and he wasn’t afraid to make enemies or to let people know they were in fact one of them and Draco just acted the same way.

I was aware everyone thought I was the same because I was friends with him and the other two but really I wasn’t, Crabbe and Goyle were closer but they were both rather…dim. You could tell them to do something and they would here as Draco questioned it. I was closer to Draco and we spent most of our time in school together and when we were home we spent a fair amount of time at each other’s houses.

I knew a side to Draco that others didn’t and that side was his friendly and funny side, he was the best friend I had and I trusted in him a lot; he was great with Skylar and always happy to play with him and teach him things. He made me laugh a lot and he was very generous, nobody would believe me if I told them that he’d held my hand during my brother’s sorting.

I had to admit that Harry and his friends had a way of getting under my skin, they were constantly picking on me for being ‘Malfoy’s girlfriend’ had done since we were first years. They just annoyed me and I snapped back at them “I say we curse him now Harry, there’s one of him and three of us” Ron said and I saw them stood at the top of the stairs.

I saw Ron pull his wand out as Draco mumbled something at them and I pointed mine at Ron “Colloshoo” I whispered using the spell on each of them in turn “Ron don’t be ridiculous, you lot are in enough trouble as it is without joining in throwing stupid charms and curses around at people in the hallways” Hermione lectured and he sighed putting his wand back in his pocket.

I heard a group of prefects in the hallway behind me and turned to make sure they hadn’t rounded the corner yet, I pointed my wand at the suit of armour “Wingardium Leviosa” I mumbled guiding the suit of armour closer to them and then snapped my wand towards the ground before taking off at a run.

There was a loud bang as the suit of armour hit the floor and I heard the prefects start to run in our direction, I grabbed Draco’s hand pulling him with me down the stairs “Why can’t we move? Hermione!” I heard Ron shout smiling as we sprinted down to the dungeons. We stopped as we reached the dark familiar dungeon corridors “What was that?” Draco asked panting to get his breath back “Glued their feet to the spot” I said laughing as my chest heaved.

He burst out laughing before grinning “They’ll blame us” “And so we go back to that library and make out as thought we know nothing, come on” I stated motioning him to follow me. We wandered into the entrance hall to hear the prefects shouting at the 3 of them who all looked rooted to the same spot, as I’d left them “Have you finished your homework yet?” I asked as we walked slowly up the stairs “Just about, I need to get another book from the library though. Goyle’s not even started it yet, he’ll be in so much…” “It was them!!” Ron raged pointing at us and we both looked puzzled.