Life's Complications

Chapter 11

It was saturday when the fax machine was on. My mother waited hopelessly by it. It was a nice afternoon, when the fax machine started to work, my mother couldn't be more nervous. I think she's more nervous than i am. She grabbed the paper as soon as it was fully delivered. She was worried, her eyes examined every word.
"Mom?" I called, "What it is?"
She looked at me as if she didn't see me in her life. She hugged my small figure and held on tight. I figured she won't tell me. I grabbed the paper, hypoglycemia.
I have low blood sugar.
"Mom," I said. "I have to take pills for this?"
"Yeah," She sniffed her red nose. "You can go grab that tomorrow, Vitamin A and B. One at night and one in the morning."
"Aw mom," I hugged her. "You don't have to cry. I mean, I'll be fine. I'll eat vegetables and fruits." I let go. "Just don't cry."
She smiled at my concern. "I can't help it, you're my only baby."
I smiled at her sweetness, I hugged her one more time. Her hugs were always so comforting. Even though i pretend being in this condition is nothing, i'm still scared inside.

I was sitting on the couch, watching something boring on TV. I looked at my mom on her laptop, probably learning more on my condition.
The bell rang. My mom got up to get that, I didn't even bothered to look who it was. I wish i did. I was laying like an idiot when Cameron walked in.
"Honey, you've got a visitor." My mother said.
I looked up to see a smiling Cameron. He was holding a basket. "What's with the sudden visits?" I asked, Teasing the crap out of him.
"You should be thankful." He said. "Otherwise you'd be laying like that all night."
I laughed at his impression of me. "Come in."
"I was kind of hoping we could stay outside." He said.
I looked at him, "What?" He said. "It's a nice night, pretty warm for Toronto."
I smiled at him before inviting him to the backyard.
He set up the blanket on the ground and i helped him place the food he prepared for us.
"Thank you for doing this." I said, "I really need something like this."
"Did you-" He stopped placing the food on the blanket. "Did you get the results?"
I nodded. "Well?" He said. "Tell me."
"Fine," Inhale. "I have blood sugar." Exhale.
He looked into my eyes, he looked at the ground. "I'm sorry," He spoke. "Maybe we should go inside, maybe it's better-"
"Please," I said. "I'm fine now. I don't want to ruin our first date."
"You are not going to." He said. "As long as we're together."
I smiled at that, his sweetness, his kindness. He filled my plate with all kinds of food. "Woah," I said. "Did you do this?" I asked him.
"I would love to be the type to say, Of course i made this and make you fall in love with my cooking but no, my mom did." He answered.
"Oh," I said. "That's so nice of her."
"Yeah," He said. "My mom's cool like that."

We talked, I got to know his parents, his childhood and how he and his dad used to go fishing every weekend. I told him how my dad and I used to go to this restaurant after we finished swimming. How i completely humiliated myself by trying to carry our food and running to our table, and how it completely fell on the ground. He understood that i was just trying to impress people. Lastly, I told him about the pills i'm getting tomorrow. How they are going to help me get better.
"I wanna come with you." He said.
"What?"
"I want to come with you," He said. "I want to make sure you're okay."
I smiled. "I would like that."
"Oh, it's getting late," He said, getting up. "I should probably get going."
"I'll walk you to the door." I told him.
"I had fun," I told him. "Thanks for lighten my mood."
"Sorry it wasn't a fancy dinner and-"
"Are you kidding? You're mom's cooking's amazing." I told him. "Ten times better than a fancy restaurant."
He kissed me. It was unexpected and sudden. It was perfect.
"We should do this again," He said. "Soon, yeah?"
I smiled. "Yeah."