Life's Complications

Chapter 14

"So Alice," My head snaps up from the sound of Zach's raspy voice. I stare at his eyes as he continues. "Ready for Vancouver?
"What?" I said. "Why would I be ready for Vancouver?"
"The competition." Zach said. I mouthed what at him. He stared at me for a slight minute and turned to Cameron. "You didn't tell her, did you?"
"What are you talking about?" Cameron said, looking at me. "Of course I did."
"What? No you didn't." I said.
"Yeah, I did." He said. "It was when we were getting back from the grocery store?"
I looked at him and the guilt is eating me alive. I wasn't listening to him. I pull a strand of hair behind my ear and look at the ground.
"Oh," I said. "I- Don't remember."
Cameron stared at me, and shook his head. I bit my bottom lip. "Well, when is it?" I asked, trying to change the subject of my pure neglect of Cameron's existence yesterday.
"A month from now." Zach said.
"Oh god," I said. "My parents will never let me come."
"Why not?" Michael asked.
"Well, there's four of you.. and there's only one girl. I don't any parent is up for that." I answered.
"Lisa's coming." Nathan said.
"Really?"
"Yeah," Lisa said. "I'm surprised my parents even let me go, but i've convinced them."
I'm surprised too.
I grunted. They all looked at me questioning my sudden frustration. "I'm going to have to cook a big feast for them followed by a month of completely kissing their asses."
"Poor you." Lisa said. I rolled my eyes at her sarcasm.
"What's the prize anyway?" I asked.
"We'd win a trip to this high class cruise and we get to perform there. That's not even the best part," Zach started to chuckle like an idiot. "We get to sign to a record deal."
And my face dropped. "That's amazing, but what if they knew I wasn't really in the band?"
"Don't worry," Cameron said. "They don't have to know."
"Yeah," Zach continued. "We'll just kick you out after we win."
"Thanks, I'm feeling the love." I said, sarcastically. "Really feeling the appreciation in this atmosphere."
The bell rang and so did my heart. I was not ready to face jake. I'm not ready. Cameron seems to notice my shakiness and vulnerableness. He placed his warms hands starting up fireworks in my stomach and looked me in the eyes. "Hey," I looked up at him and half smiled. "Don't worry, if he tried anything. Just ignore him."
"I don't want to ignore him." I told him. "We're friends, it'll be just weird at first then hopefully it'll be back to normal."

"Good morning." Jake greeted me with a gorgeous smile.
"Good morning." I replied.
"How are you?"
"Im fine, you?"
"Im good."
I nodded and I never wanted this class to end more than I did now and I don't even know if that's possible. I sat the whole time avoiding his eyes and smile every once in a while but other than that, it's like nothing happened. Till the bell rang again.
"Alice," Jake caught me sneaking out. "Can we talk?"
"Uh," I hesitated. "Cameron's coming so."
"Not now, come meet me at the school's garden at the roof after school." Jake said. "Please."
I nodded. He smiled a smile that could rip off his face and left. I felt the pressure building in and I didn't like it. I was greeted by Lisa after Jake left.
"Hey," She said. "Cameron was looking for you."
"Yeah?" I said. "Well I have a big problem."
I sighed as she looked confusedly at me.

"Wow, what are you going to do?" She asked.
"I'm going to talk to him." I answered.
"Well, what about Cameron?"
"Well, what about him?"
"Doesn't he hate him?"
"Yeah."
"Don't you think he will be upset when he finds out?"
"Oh come on," I said. "It's not like i'm making out with the guy. He wants to tell me something regarding the subject. Who knows? Maybe he's going to apologize."
"Hey." Cameron's sudden appearance made me skip a beat. My heart is a hundred miles apart from me. "I was looking for you."
"I was talking to Lisa." I answered him as he wrapped his arms around my shoulders. "Sorry."
"Well, do you wanna go somewhere after school?"
"Sorry i can't," I lied. "I'm going to Lisa's "
"Oh shit," Cameron said "Oh yeah, I cant too, I have band practice."
"Oh," I said. "At Zach's house?"
"No," He replied. "The school allowed us to use the school theatre."
And my heart skips a beat for the millionth time today.