Life's Complications

Chapter 21

Alice's POV
The trip to Vancouver is in about one week. It was a beautiful saturday morning, the day of the prom. I was nervous. It was my first prom and Cameron will probably loosen me up but still. I bought my dress a few days ago with Lisa. It's black, skin tight at the top but lets loose at the end, there's a triangle cut the middle of the dress that shows my skin and it lands on my thighs. I was proud of it.

"Do you need help doing your hair?" My mom asked. "You know I have some skills of my own."
I laughed. "Thanks mom," I said. "But I have it under control."
My hair was naturally long due to my mother never letting me cut it when I was younger and it was a light shade of brown. Some people may go over board with the hair and curl it into ugly, perfect curls which I never found appealing. Instead, I thought Cameron would appreciate it straight and by Cameron I mean myself.

Cameron's POV
I was grabbing my suit from the dryer. My mother told me to pick them up yesterday but as usual, I slacked off. I was nervous. I've never taken a girl to a Prom or a dance before. I'm sure it's gonna be great but I just want it to be perfect.

Now I am standing in her door steps. Right atop their "Welcome" brown mattress laying outside. I was holding all kinds of flowers that I had picked out with my mother. I stared down at them and hoped that she would like them. I breathed in and knocked on the door.
My eyes were wandering around her beauty. I was awed at the sight of her. I could speak for seconds till I realized how weird I'm being.
"Wow, Alice." I said. "Wow, you look amazing. Beyond words."
"Why thank you, you don't look so bad yourself." She said.
"But you-"
"Alright picture time!" Her mother interrupted. She took pictures from every angle till we were officially late. I took her to my car and opened her door for her. She smiled. I was still awed. I tried to relax by shaking it off.
"Oh," I said, once I was in our car. "Here." I handed her her flowers.
"Aw, thank you." She said.
I laughed. "What's wrong?"
"Nothing, let's go."
"Come on, Alice." I said. "What's wrong?"
"I just really really hate flowers." She confessed.
"What?!" I held back a laugh. "You're probably the first girl. Why do you hate them?"
"It reminds me when my mother was in the hospital." She said. "And that time sucked."
I stared at her face turn into complete and utter sadness. I grabbed the flowers that she was poking slightly and threw them at the back. "Like it never happened."
She laughed. "Just drive, we're gonna be late."
"We already are."

"What are we going to do?" Alice asked.
"About what?" I asked.
"About Michael. He should've been over this by now." She answered. "I mean, is he going to ignore me completely during our trip?"
"I don't know, Alice. Forget about him, today is just about you and I."
.

Alice's POV
We arrived at the school and Cameron started to guy nod at all of his friends as I stand there awkwardly. They'd say "I barely recognized you." On of Cameron's friends spoke or "Alice, is that you?" One of my friends from history class. I got sick of it.
"Cameron's I'm going to the ladies room." I said. He nodded.

"What are you doing here?" Her annoying voice echoed my brain.
"Ugh." I covered my ears. "Like it's any of your business."
"Good to know you feel that way. Well my relationship with Michael is none of your business." She said.
"Oh please, now you're calling it a relationship? Cut the crap Fiona and grow up. Stop lying to him." I said.
"I'm not lying to him, I actually like him." She answered with her nose high as the sky I want to barf.
"You do not." I said.
"And he loves me." She continued. "To prove it, I'm coming with you to Vancouver."
And right now, I want my mother to yell at me to stay in Toronto, because my excitement on this trip just flew into the tough atmosphere.