Lestrange Affair

Potion

“There aren’t any potions to…” “That’s what you think, Lily Potter wasn’t the only one who read about old magic. Remember all that stuff that used to go missing from your potions room? Well I lie it wasn’t the Weasley’s who stole it” I admitted and he half smiled.

“Hydra my dear if you think I believed you’re mistaken but they’re no potions to save me now” “Dad have faith in me, remember when you told me about how The Dark Lord was defeated by a baby? You told me it was ancient magic, magic nobody knew?” I asked before calling out more instructions to them and the Granger girl bossed the boys around as she worked.

“Well people do know it, it’s just you like thousands before you discount it as nonsense. Just because something’s ancient doesn’t mean it’s wrong,” I explained, “If it worked it wouldn’t be ancient Hydra” he managed as his breathing got quicker. “Harry Potter is the living, breathing proof that ancient magic works. Our whole world knows it but how many of you have ever thought to look at it? I bet Granger’s never read a single book on old magic” I replied watching them all.

“She’s read everything else” “Exactly! Even she failed to understand ancient magic and it’s powers. You see there was only 1 book on ancient magic in Hogwarts and the only person to read it in nearly 50 years was Lily Potter, since then it’s been missing. That was until you told me all about Harry and I had to know more, and so I asked for the book. You find when you’re a Lestrange most things you want appear for you, that and Mundungus Fletcher can always be relied upon to have stolen something for a wreckage” I laughed to myself as I watched Granger add the last ingredient before stirring the liquid counter clockwise.

“There’s lots of potions in there dad, I might let you borrow it one day” I joked and he shook his head at me, “No potion can bring back the dead” “Well it’s a good job you’re not dead then. I spent hours in here practising magic and this works. That stupid centaur in the forest will tell you that much” I said reminding him of my little incident with a centaur in my 4th year.

“Granger has it turned red yet?” I asked but she shook her head “Hydra it’s too late, it’s fine. I knew this had to come,” he said calmly and I shook my head “No! Please no, how am I meant to survive?” “My girl you haven’t needed me since you were 13, I’ve not taught you anything new in years” he answered as he coughed and Draco tried countless spells in hope to help.

“I don’t need a teacher and you know that! Who do I have if you’ve gone?” I cried and he smiled “Amycus” and I laughed as Draco smiled “If I wasn’t dying you’d kill me wouldn’t you?” he asked and I nodded. I heard him struggling for breath and I looked at him as he nodded slowly, “Remember what I said” he forced out to the others before looking at Draco “Look after her Draco” he mumbled and Draco nodded.

His eyes met mine and I felt tears run down my cheeks “Remember Hydra” he said and I kissed his forehead “I love you dad” I choked out and he smiled weakly as I looked at him. “It’s red!” Granger shouted “Bring it here!” I snapped “I love you too Hydra, be…” he started to cough and I tried to help him but I knew it wasn’t making any difference.

“B-Br…” he coughed “Br-Br…ave” he managed before he started to cough again as I tried in vain to pour the potion into his mouth and I heard him take a sharp breath and then it fell silent. It felt like my breath had been taken from me as I tried to breathe and I realised Draco had me hugged against him.

“No! It worked last time it worked before. Why didn’t it work now?” I growled crying still “Maybe it was too late, it was ancient magic Hydra everyone knows that’s false” “Ancient magic is such because fools think that, it works! It worked for Potter and it worked for that centaur!” I napped as I looked to see the dark figure on the floor still.

“Draco he’s…” “I know Hydra, I’m sorry” he put in his hand on the back of my head, there was silence around us and when Draco finally got me to go outside I sat looking over the ruined grounds whilst Draco was still inside. There was a shout from inside and I ran in to see Severus coughing, I ran to help him and he shook his head pushing himself up “Hydra Lestrange I really must borrow that book sometime, but don’t you ever steal from me again young lady” he lectured and I smiled hugging him as he brushed himself off.