Lestrange Affair

Help

2 weeks into school and we had successfully taken over, instead of the usual chatter over meals like there had been when I was at school, the tables of students sat in silence eating their meals. I walked into the great hall at breakfast to see Amycus and Alecto stood at the front of the hall watching over everyone, I walked up to Amycus and he bowed his head “Duelling is to start today at 2pm in here. Slytherin’s attendance is compulsory and only Slytherins,” I informed and he nodded.

“Duelling club will start today in the Great Hall at 2pm for the Slytherin house and attendance in compulsory. Anyone choosing to miss this will be punished and anyone choosing to attend who is not in Slytherin house will also be punished” Amycus shouted and they all acknowledged him before carrying on eating.

It got to 2pm and slowly students filtered into the Great Hall before Professor Slughorn closed the doors; he’d taken it upon himself to attend because Slytherin was his house. I walked up onto the platform and they all looked at me “If anyone here knows of any Slytherin’s not in attendance I ask you to come forward and tell me and also any members of the other houses that are in attendance should come forward themselves or face a worse punishment if I have to find you myself!” I warned but there was only silence.

“Well here we are then, from today onwards every week you will all attend Duelling Club. Here you will learn a vast range of spells and also learn the art of duelling successfully, any fool with a wand can duel but it takes a true master to duel successfully. I understand that some of you may not be as talented with a wand as others but we must all learn” I said.

“Lets see, we’ll start with simple protection or shield charms shall we?” I stated and by the end of 2 hours most of them had mastered shield charms. “Professor Snape wishes to see you” Slughorn said and I walked towards the office, “Water” I said and the stairs appeared and I went up. I knocked on the door “Hydra come in” he stated and I smiled walking in “How did you…” “You have a somewhat distinctive knock, it appears you are rather angry with the door” he cut in and I smiled at him allowing the door to shut.

“How are you finding it being back in school?” he asked, “Fine, different to when I was here, but fine. I just had my first duelling club and the Slytherin kids are really keen to learn. Well some of them are” I admitted and he nodded. “I’d imagine those are the older students” he said and I nodded “Dad tell me about Pansy Parkinson” I stated sitting down “Parkinson, why?” “Because I’m interested” I lied and he nodded.

“She’s in Slytherin, in Draco’s gang, somewhat intelligent and talented with a wand, pure blood…” “Her family aren’t in the ranks though are they?” I asked “No” “I thought not,” I stated smiling and he rolled his eyes. “Dad when you said all that about conscience, what did you mean?” I asked and he sat opposite me “Hydra I meant that you should take everything you do as your own, don’t carry out a task and think you can pass the blame, you commit an act then you should be ready to receive a punishment for it” he explained.

“So I should be punished for my crimes?” I said and he sighed “I wish no punishment on you Hydra and you know it, I just want you to be aware of your actions now. You’re not a child anymore and although you were always far superior to those your own age you have a new level of superiority” he admitted. “Why?” “Because you’re an adult now, you’re a Lestrange, you’re a death eater, your high up in the ranks and your talented. Sometimes I regret teaching you so much so young but I can’t take it back” he said.

“Why do you regret it?” I asked feeling upset “Not that I regret anything I’ve ever given or taught you but I fear you lived an adult life too early, the spells you can carry out are not normal for a witch of your age. You were doing non-verbal magic in your 3rd year and sometimes I think you were raised unaware of other options to you, your 22 and your father is already discussing who you will marry and I hate to tell you who it is” he explained.

“Who?” “Amycus has been mentioned several times” he said, “I will not marry Amycus Carrow! It is my decision who I marry! I can’t be forced into it,” I argued and he shook his head “If your father asks it of you then you have no choice” “Dad can’t you stop him?” I asked. “Hydra you know I can’t do that, he’s your father” “No he isn’t” I cut back and he stood up “Hydra don’t you dare disown your father that way, he is your father and you have accepted him as such for years. Do not turn this around now, he has given you more than you know,” he shouted.

“What has he ever given me? The only thing I get from him is a home; I’m a Lestrange by birthright and he can never take that from me” “No but he can knock you from your place of respect that you’ve become so used to! Hydra he’s been your father for 18 years and I know you have no recollection of times before then to compare to but you have to trust me that you are better off in this life than the one you were born into” he explained and I nodded slowly.

“But I just want…” I trailed off and he smiled “This is what I mean Hydra, you’re an adult but you don’t know what you want. You’re still that girl who wants to know everything and you do what you’re told without questioning it. I just want you to take your own actions into account,” he said calmly. “I do, I know what I’m doing and I know what I am. People will find what I do horrible, I’ve heard it all before but I’m better than them because they’re not from pure blood families and I am, I’m their superior and in time they will learn that” I answered and he nodded.

“I’m half blood, are you my superior?” he asked and I shook my head “You’re my dad” “But I’m a half blood Hydra, you can’t say that and not categorise me with them” he reasoned. “You’re my dad and you are also among us, you are a faithful servant to the Dark Lord and…” “And nothing! Hydra just watch your decisions” he warned.

“Dad if your trying to tell me to turn my back on this and everything I’ve been working towards for my whole life then maybe I’ve mistaken you for someone your not! This is where I belong and what is right for me, I will not live in harmony with muggles and those that don’t belong in our world! If you choose to live that way then that is your choice not mine!” I argued.

I turned to leave “Hydra…” “No! If you make that choice then maybe I was wrong to see this in you! You make your decisions and I’ll make mine!” I shouted leaving.

“Hydra. Hydra. Hydra!” a voice shouted and I turned to see Draco “I don’t know if you still mean what you said before but I could really do with some…” “Shut up and follow me,” I said quietly and he walked with me to my own office. “Draco don’t discuss that in the halls, you’ll get us all killed!” I snapped “Sorry Hydra, are you still going to help me because I really need it and well I know we’ve hardly been the best of friends since the day on the train” he explained.

“Yes I will still help you but if you ever talk to me that way again you will regret it, I don’t care that you’ve known me since you were born I am a professor at this school and I am also your elder so you should respect me accordingly!” I ranted and he nodded quickly.

“What’s with you Hydra, your being stern with me and that’s not you. Don’t argue with me because I don’t deserve it, why are you so bothered right now?” he asked, “Nothing, I’m fine!” I cut back and he looked at me “I’m just having a small issue right now, but you sound more bothered, what’s wrong?” I asked.

“He’s set me the task of tying to find out information on Potter from within the castle, nobody will tell me anything” he complained sitting on the edge of the desk “Draco people will tell you what you want to hear because people in this school know who you are, merely make it known you wish you knew where Potter was in a subtle way and let the school gossip take over” I offered and he nodded “Thank you, should I tell my friends in the common room but say it so others hear?” he asked and I nodded as Amycus walked past and I groaned.

“What?” “My father is apparently talking about me marrying Amycus,” I admitted and he smiled “You and Amycus?” “I’m not joking, he’s talking about it,” I stated and he looked seriously. “Tell them no” “Would you tell your parents no?” he shook his head “Then how can I tell my father no?” “Can Severus not do anything?” Draco said and I looked at him. “What can he do? It’s not his say its my fathers” I admitted “But Severus would never see you be unhappy without trying to fix it, surely he can do something” he reasoned.

“I don’t see how, you seem to have a mistaken thought about Severus’ care towards me. I am merely a student to him, a close student but a student none the less. My father means well and I guess he has a point, I need to marry to preserve blood and maybe Amycus is the best option for me. We do get on, on some level,” I explained. “Yes in the same level you get on with my own father but I don’t see you jumping to marry him” “We don’t get on at all! Amycus and I at least talk and have some form of relationship. Well my father is yet to mention it to me so he may change his mind” I said and Draco nodded.

“You should go and put your plan into motion” I stated and he agreed “I will talk to you later, this time I won’t hide from your short temper for over a month” he joked and I laughed “Go Draco” I said and he smiled bowing his head.