Lestrange Affair

Family

“Slytherin! Dumbledore! Severus! Oh come on what the hell’s the password?” I shouted I checked over my shoulder before looking back at the wall “Lily” I whispered and the stairs appeared and I stepped onto them. I never even knocked on the door just opening it and he looked up at me “I’m a Flint?” I shouted and he looked at me before waving his hand and the door slammed shut.

“I’m a Flint? Why has nobody told me, I thought nobody knew?” I asked and he stayed sat down as I stormed around the room shouting at him “Are you going to sit down Hydra or not?” he said calmly and I looked at him. “Sit down? Am I a Flint?” I shouted at him and he looked at me “Sit down Hydra and we can talk” he stated and I sat opposite him waiting for him to talk.

“I do not know where you heard this nonsense but I assure you that is all it is” “Nonsense? It left my own fathers mouth! He said I was of Lestrange and Flint blood, my mother was a Flint?” I asked and he sighed. “He told you that?” I nodded “Then yes you are a Flint” he admitted and I looked at him shaking my head. “You lied! You just lied to me” I said shocked “Because your father said we were to never mention it to you but if he himself said it then I can tell you the rest but you must not let him know” he explained and I looked away from him.

“You remember Marcus Flint I am sure” “Yes, he was captain for the quidditch team, a year older than me but we ended up leaving in the same year, we were good friends” I replied and he nodded “Well he is your cousin, I’m sure that explains his interest in you throughout school” he admitted and I looked at him shocked. “He knew you were his cousin but he was aware you did not know and so never told you, but he was always keen on looking out for you and protecting you. He was always very keen on you and was aware you were somewhat alone and I think he felt like he should look after you, Marcus Flint is hardly the caring kind but he did like you Hydra” he explained and I smiled remembering Marcus.

“So how is he my cousin?” I asked, “Your father isn’t your real father as you know. Rabastan is in fact your father’s cousin but from the age of 4 he has been your father” “I don’t understand,” I admitted. “Rabastan’s father is Renault Lestrange, Renault’s brother is Adrien Lestrange. Adrien Lestrange is your real grandfather. He married Rosemary Yaxley and they had only one child, Arcturus Lestrange II. Arcturus is your father and he married Lucretia Flint, they had you. Your mothers brother, Dragomir is…” “Marcus’ father” I finished and he nodded.

“Why does my father say I wasn’t always brought up to understand?” I asked, “Because whilst your parents were both members of the Dark Lords followers, your mother was somewhat liberal in her views. She developed a friendship with a halfblood who was married to a muggle born and the rest of the family looked down on her for it” he said and I nodded.

“Why am I not with them?” “Because Hydra your mother died when you were 4, she was given the choice of Azkaban or freedom and she took freedom. She fled to the home of her half blood friend leaving you with your father Arcturus, only others had been sent to visit the family she fled to. When they arrived your mother told them her name was that of the halfblood friend and she was killed for things the halfblood had committed, it wasn’t until a higher up member turned up that they recognised her to be Lucretia Flint and not the halfblood” he explained and I just stared at him.

“Your father Arcturus was in trouble for using dark magic and he knew he was destined for Azkaban, he was as good as caught and there was only 2 people who he could ask to look after you. Rabastan or Rodolphus, and well he was never a fan of Bellatrix so he sent you to Rabastan. It was hoped you’d force Rabastan to grow up and he took his role as your father seriously, Arcturus in return lied and said he was responsible for using the Cruciatus Curse on The Longbottoms alongside the others and that Rabastan was at home looking after you” he admitted “So that’s why my father isn’t in Azkaban?” I stated.

He nodded “Arcturus is still in Azkaban now but Rabastan has raised you well and I doubt your father would wish for any involvement in your life now” “Why did you never tell me?” I asked. “Because Rabastan asked us all to never mention it and Arcturus wouldn’t want you knowing either. He would not want his daughter to make the mistakes his own wife made and that is why Rabastan is so strict on blood purity with you. How did this come out?” he said. “I told him Draco and I are dating and he started talking about marriage” “You are? Well that would answer the question as to your unbridled enthusiasm for his somewhat average skills and your over compensation telling people he is far better than he is” I shook my head and he smiled. “I am not like that with Draco” I snapped and he laughed “My dear, Draco and yourself have grown up together. Whilst you strive to treat him as a student whilst in this school I am afraid to say you do not always succeed, Draco is and always will be your oldest and closest friend; something I hope you value and would not bargain on” he stated and I looked at him.

“Well of course your father will be happy, you would marry together some of the longest and most preserved blood in this world. It would be a huge pure blood marriage so naturally they’d be happy for you both to get married” “But we’re not getting married, we’re not even dating” I replied and he nodded. “Why doesn’t Arcturus like aunt Bellatrix?” I asked and he smiled “Because for all of his fault he married for love and he loved your mother despite the fact she was going against his strongest beliefs. Bellatrix and Rodolphus married for pure blood necessity, he wanted you to grow up away from thinking pure blood is the most important thing and sadly Rabastan hasn’t taught you that, he is attempting to force you into the one thing your father would not have” he explained.

“But to maintain a pure bloodline is important, blood purity is important” I cut back and he closed his eyes “Maybe so but so is love, Narcissa and Lucius married for love and yet they’re purebloods…” “But surely it’s better to marry a pureblood than marry a halfblood or mudblood” I replied. “Do not use that word Hydra! It is better to marry for love, would you rather marry Amycus Carrow because he’s a pureblood or marry someone you love who is only halfblood?” he asked and I looked at him.

“This is what your father has failed to teach you, you cannot think of these things, you merely follow what you are told” he snapped at me “I do what is asked of me, I do not see how that is a terrible thing” I argued back and he sighed resting his arms on his desk. “It is not your fault Hydra, Rabastan has taught you much but he has failed to treat you like a daughter. Surely you see the difference in the way Narcissa treats Draco and Rabastan treats you?” he asked and I looked away from him.

“Hydra answer me,” he demanded and I looked at him with tears in my eyes “What do you think?” I asked, “Hydra you know he…” “No he doesn’t love me. I’m merely a child who reflects upon him, I’m not someone he seeks to protect or care for! Narcissa would do anything for Draco she dotes on him. The boy’s 18 and his mother still does everything for him and she treats him like he’s the only thing that matters. My father has never treated me that way; he shows no caring attitude towards me. If I made a mistake he’d never defend me” I shouted and he sighed.

“He never wanted to be a father, Rabastan was somewhat forced into it and you have been a positive influence on his life but he, like most of The Lestrange’s, suffers from the lack of understanding for the need to love. Rabastan just wants you to be successful in what you do in life,” he admitted. “But he cares very little about me if I don’t do that, he’s my father by name only” “I know how you feel,” he said and I shook my head.

“No you don’t! You have no clue how I feel, nobody cares enough to tell me the truth,” I snapped and he stood up walking around to my side “Hydra you know I care, I’d have told you the truth but Rabastan made it clear nobody was to say a word to you. The Flint’s wanted to tell you but he told them they weren’t to tell you anything. Hydra you know I care about you, I begged the Dark Lord to send someone else in your place but he wouldn’t have it. The last thing I want…” “You begged him?” I asked.

“Of course I begged him, I don’t want you getting mixed up in anything that could end with you in danger or hurt. I’ve known you your whole life, I’ve watched you grow and taught you things both inside and outside of these castle walls and I know your no relative of mine but I feel like you’re family,” he explained and I smiled at him “You’re my dad, nobody has taught me more than you have. I just wish you’d give me more credit, I am capable and aware of who I am and what I am doing,” I said.

“I know your capable, Hydra I know your capable. Your far more capable than you think you are and The Dark Lord knows it, you’re so high in the ranks because of your abilities. You are in the same circle as people who are twice your age and all because you have so much talent as a witch, I know you can act for yourself I just want you to take in the views of others before making hasty decisions” he admitted.

I nodded standing up “I know I may be somewhat stubborn sometimes but your opinion always matters to me” I offered and he smiled at me as I hugged him “I just want you kept safe Hydra” he stated quietly and I felt his hand on the back of my head making me smile. Severus Snape had been around all my life, my family had no trust in him but he’d always been nice to me.

When I wanted to play and my father ignored me Severus would play stupid games with me, he would sing to me when I failed to sleep at nights, he offered protection from the ending of the first wizarding war, he taught me to make potions before I had even received my Hogwarts letter and had always been someone who looked out for me. Whilst my father provided the house and life I was used to Severus had provided me with the care I had grown in need off.

I started calling him dad when I was around 9 and I never said it in front of others because if my father found out, well I didn’t know what he’d do but it wouldn’t be a good thing. I always turned to him for advice or whenever I felt in need for someone to talk to.

“I should go” I said and he nodded squeezing me tighter before letting me go and I smiled before leaving “Hydra” he called after me and I looked at him “Greenbelt Manor” he said and I smiled nodding walking back into the room and he rolled his eyes as he sat back down and I disapparated.