Lestrange Affair

Introduction

I stood on the doorstep and I knocked on the door and a woman opened it “Hello” she said looking around me to see if I was alone “Could I see Marcus please?” I asked and she looked at me “M-Marcus?” she repeated and I nodded. “C-can I ask who it is?” she asked “A friend from Hogwarts” I answered and she nodded slowly looking uneasy with the situation “Erm…come in,” she offered and I stepped inside the house.

I saw her go up the stairs and there were hushed voices and I looked around at the walls where there were pictures of what I presumed was family moving around and waving. “Porpentina who was at the door?” a voice shouted and a man appeared in the room “L-Lucre…It can’t be” “Hydra?” I heard a more familiar voice say and I turned to see Marcus stood next to his mum at the top of the stairs.

“Hydra?” the man asked as Marcus walked down the stairs his mum behind him “Hydra Lestrange?” his mum asked and Marcus nodded “How are you? Why are you here?” he asked and I looked at the man who looked surprised. “I…erm…” I trailed off and the man looked at me “Mistress Lestrange, I’m Marcus’ father Dragomir” he introduced and I nodded. “You can call me Hydra and what did you mean before when you said it can’t be?” I asked and he shook his head “Nothing I just got you confused for someone else” he replied and I looked at him.

“Who’d you get me confused for?” I said and he looked at me “Lucretia, she was my sister. You just look like her…” “Probably because she’s my mother” I said and Marcus looked at me with wide eyes. “What? How do you know that?” Marcus asked, “I just found out, but nobody knows that I know so keep it that way” I warned and they all nodded “So you know I’m your…” “Cousin, yeah” I cut in and Marcus grabbed me hugging me.

“I wanted to tell you but they said I couldn’t and…” “Marcus don’t do that” his father ordered and he looked around at them “Do what?” “Hug her like that, she’s not someone you can treat that way” Dragomir said. “Dad it’s Hydra, I’ve known her years” Marcus replied before hugging me again “Marcus stop that!” he snapped and Marcus left go looking back at them shocked.

“Dad…” “No Marcus, she’s not some girl you know from school,” his dad scolded and I shook my head “I’m his cousin, your family to me and I’m sorry for the way…” “No Mistress Lestrange you have nothing to apologize for” Dragonmir said and I felt awkward. “Mr Flint I was wondering if I could possibly ask you about my mother?” I asked and he nodded “Follow me” he stated and I did as he asked.

“How may I help you?” “I was told my mother was killed by accident, is this true?” I said and he nodded, “Your father kept you in his care and your mother fled to her friends. The Campbell’s, she left you with your father because he would never let anyone harm you. Sadly she lied at the wrong time and she was killed,” he explained and I nodded. “Who did it?” “It was never their fault, they carried out orders” he reasoned “Who?” I demanded and he sighed “Lucius Malfoy’s cousin, Aleana” I stared in shock at him.

“She did that?” “Yes and trust me your father soon dealt with it, Lucius and your father do not get on for that reason. He blames your father for being brutal and for the murder of his cousin, you look so very much like your mother; although you have the Lestrange attitude about you; I presume you received that from your father” he stated. “Which father are you referring to?” “Rabastan” he said and I nodded.

“What was my mother like?” I asked and he smiled “She was very clever but she never truly applied herself, she met Arcturus at Hogwarts and she became involved in that world. Arcturus isn’t like the other Lestrange’s; he’s caring and some what nicer than others always were towards outsiders” he explained before looking terrified and I smiled.

“I understand, trust me. My father and I are not exactly close” “Marcus used to tell us about you at school and how talented you were; you are so very much like her but that look in your eye is definitely your father. He always had this glint in his eye; you never new if it was kindness or evil but it was always there” he admitted and I nodded. “Was he a nice person?” I questioned and he smiled “We were never keen on him but when he gave your mother her freedom I saw who he really was, Lestrange’s have a tendency to marry…” “For status?” I finished and he nodded.

“I always thought he was doing that, but it seemed he did love your mother very much and the others looked down on him for it. He was heartbroken when your mother died and he knew you were to become somewhat an orphan. We offered to take you and have you as our niece but he refused saying he did not wish to have you know who you really were and so we offered to let you grow up as Marcus’ sister” he explained.

“You would do that?” “Yes, you are family Hydra and we care for you but your father wanted you to become Hydra Flint but his family refused to let it happen. You were a Lestrange and they wanted you to remain that way so they argued that you were to stay in their family. Rodolphus and Bellatrix offered but your father insisted if you were to stay with his family you went to Rabastan” he said and I nodded. “Are you happy with Rabastan, does he treat you well?” he asked and I shrugged.

“He was young I understand and he’s always seen I had the best of everything, I had an education both inside and outside of school. I never want for anything and I have a home but I’m not his child and I’ve always known it” I explained, “You do?” I nodded “He made me aware he wasn’t my father, but I also knew I was to not ask questions. He has treated me well” I admitted and he nodded “I sense some difficulty in your tone” he stated.

I shook my head “I should go now, I ask that you keep this quiet” I stated and he nodded as I walked out, “We won’t say a thing and your welcome here whenever Mistress Lestrange” “It’s Hydra and thank you, good night” I replied before smiling at Marcus and leaving.

I arrived back at Hogwarts to find a familiar figure sat by the open fire in the office “How did it go?” “I-I…Why?” I asked and he stood up walking to me putting his arm around me “Why did I have to be…” “Hydra you are a brilliant young woman! I am so proud of what you’ve achieved magically and as a person, you have a level of confidence and character I never had and I know you will in time make the right decisions” he soothed and I shook my head.

“I just want to be normal” “And you are, you had the best possible upbringing, you have a family of respect behind you. People would murder to have your bloodline and family name,” he reasoned. “I had no such thing, my father treats me as a nuisance, he has taught me little other than being controlling and in charge” “He taught you what he thought was best for you” he defended.

“But is that what is best for a child, control and being taught how to boss people around. Surely there’s other things children need?” I snapped and he nodded “And I hope you got them from somewhere else” he soothed and I nodded hugging him. Nobody knew what Severus Snape had really taught me about life, whilst my family supposed he’d taught me all about potions and how to be a good witch he had installed within me several life lessons and also he guided me in the way they never had.

I had known him my whole life and he was the most caring and brave man I knew, he was a superbly talented wizard who seemed to master everything he chose, my father had never been a true parent to me. Yes he gave me what was required but I never felt like I could turn to him yet Severus I did, I loved Severus as if he was my own dad and called him so, although if anyone found out we would both be in trouble.

Severus provided a safety my own father never had done, “Hydra dear, it is time you returned to your bed. Go back, you have a busy day ahead of you. Good night” he said calmly letting me go and I nodded walking back to my bed.