How I Met Your Father

Humans can't be blue

Elizabeth ran around the kitchen, throwing ingredients into the bowl. She didn’t have a lot of time today, she needed to finish the cupcakes before lunch. There was no one in the bakery in the moment, so Olivia was floating between the counter and the kitchen. They were chatting about nothing, just random things that have been happening in their lives. Elizabeth loved moments like these, when she was able to talk to her best friend about things while baking. She whisked together the ingredients as the doorbell rang, motioning that someone had come in.

Olivia left the kitchen and took charge of the counter. A group of tattooed men stood before her, two of them were standing behind a man with ginger hair, and they were giggling. Olivia held in a laugh, she did not know who they were.

“Hello how can I help you today?”

“Hi we’re actually here to see Elizabeth!” The ginger said.

Olivia furrowed her eyebrows, “And you are?”

He ran his hands through his hair, “I’m her brother and this is our band.” he grinned.

Olivia's eyes widened, realizing who they were. “Oh! Hey, yeah okay. Hold on.” Olivia walked into the kitchen, Elizabeth was placing a tray of uncooked cupcakes into the oven. She closed it and turned to Olivia. Before she could open her mouth Elizabeth knew who was here.

Elizabeth grinned and ran into the front area, the group was sitting at a table. Her husband looked up and smiled. He got up and embraced her in a tight hug.

“I’ve missed you so much!” he said, holding her close.

“I’ve missed you too Phil.” she said, holding onto his neck. To get to his height she had to be on her tiptoes. He kissed her softly, which made the guys wolf whistle. Elizabeth flipped them off and broke apart.

Alan was smirking at them, Elizabeth rolled her eyes and gave her older brother a hug. Everyone caught up, well Elizabeth caught up with everyone. They told her crazy stories of things that happened on tour, she was amazed at what they did sometimes. The timer went off, and Elizabeth made her way back into the kitchen, she took the cupcakes out of the oven and set them down to cool. It was 11:30, Elizabeth smiled and walked out into the front area. Olivia and Steve were standing behind the counter making coffee. Steve was one of the other people who worked at the bakery.

“Hey can you guys put out the cupcakes on display when they cool down, which should be in like 10 minutes? I have to pick up Holly from school.” Elizabeth said to them.

Olivia nodded “We can do that, when will you be back?”

Elizabeth looked at the clock, “ehh about 2ish maybe, we’re going out for lunch after we pick her up.”

“Okay, don’t worry. We’ll call you if anything happens.” Steve said, as he rung up a customer.

“Thank you guys so much!” Elizabeth said as she grabbed her jacket and walked over to the guys. “You guys ready?”

“Yeah, but where are we meeting you guys again?” Aaron said as they all stood up.

“Moshi! I know you guys can eat your body mass in sushi,” Elizabeth giggled.

“OH I love that place,” Austin said, walking out the door.

“Yeah and it’s really close to the school so it’s a bonus!” she smiled as Phil grabbed her hand.

&&&

The married couple sat on the bench in the schoolyard. Elizabeth's head was on his shoulder, school was going to be let out in a few minutes.

“I think those women over there are staring at us...” Phil whispered in her head, making her giggle.

“No sweetie, at you.” she took her head off his shoulder and kissed him softly on the cheek.

“Oh thanks Bat, you are so reassuring.” he said chuckling. He got up and turned around to face the school, he took in a deep breathe. Elizabeth laced her fingers with his and stood up.

“She’s going to be so happy when she sees you Phil.” she said giving him a reassuring smile. He kissed her softly on the lips, pulling away only when the bell rang. He smiled to himself and wait for his daughter to come out of school.

Holly ran through the main hallway with a drawing she drew in art class. She was so proud of it and couldn’t wait to show her mom. She stopped at her cubby, shoving everything into her tiny star wars bag. She slung it over her shoulders and ran out of the school. Her long pigtails smacked against her backpack as she ran. She pushed the school door open with her little hands and walked out onto the playground. She looked around the schoolyard for her mother. She saw her mother standing there holding holding hands with her father.

“DADDY!” she yelled, a grin sliding onto her face. She ran over to her father and attached herself to him. “What are you doing home! I missed you so much! Look at what I drew!” she sat down on the ground and pulled out the drawing. “LOOK! It’s you and mommy, and me, and meatballs, and uncle Alan, and Uncle Tino and Uncle Austin and Uncle Aaron!” she said pointing to everyone.

Phil kneeled down to her height level, he looked over at preschoolers drawing of the band and family. He smiled and kissed the top of her head.

“It looks just like everyone, it’s wonderful.” Phil said.

“I couldn’t draw any of Uncle Austin’s tattoos because if I did his body would look like blobs of blue, and humans can’t be blue!” she rambled off about the skin of aliens as the family walked out of the schoolyard.

Holly looked around the street that they were going down, and pouted. “We’re not going home.”

Elizabeth chuckled as they rounded a corner, the trees were draped over the asphalt creating this bridge of nature. “No sweetie we’re not I’m sorry. But we’re going out for Japanese food.”

“Are my uncles gonna be there?” Holly said swinging her arms.

“Yes they are! And they can’t wait to see you,” Phil said, as Elizabeth and him swung her between them.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry it took me so long to write it up and put it out there, I barley have time to myself anymore. Also sorry it's so short. But I hope you enjoy it! xo