Which Form to Take?

Take Your Time.

Which form would you like me to take?

You won't actually have a choice, of course; most people don't. But it's nice to fantasize.

You're sitting at your desk right now, scribbling away in that little notebook, and you have no idea that I'm standing in the corner, watching. Well, why would you? I've been doing this job for a long time, and I've learnt many ways of concealing myself.

I've been you for a while now, waiting for your heart to fail, but you seem determined to linger. I can't say I blame you; if I were in your position, I'd cling to life as well. So please, take your time, I don't mind waiting. I'm nothing if not patient.

(That's another thing this job has taught me.)

When your time comes - and it will be coming soon, I can tell - try not to fear me. I know you people have a certain image of me, but it is false. I have no need of a scythe, I am more than just a skeleton, and I only wear a cloak if it's cold, or if I need some extra comfort. (Yes, even I need a little comfort sometimes. I know it's hard to believe.)

The hours are closing in quickly, so I'm going to ask you again, as you didn't hear me before. Take your time in answering; we have all the time in the world.

Tell me, which form would you like me to take?