Status: In progress...

What's Your Sign?

Seven

Ivy Forbes (18 F)

Saggitarius

The stars have not been aligned in your favor, and the storm is just gathering its strength. The opportunity to redesign the skies will present itself this week, but only if you take advantage of it. Your lucky number is 2.


"Ivy, you don't have to do this." Laila kept an eye on her friend as they drove into the school lot. "I can ask our teachers to send the work to your Smartpen. You can do it at home, without any distractions. Everyone will understand."

Ivy didn't speak as she climbed out of the car. She hauled her bag over her shoulder and waited for Laila to catch up with her. 

"Ivy?" She asked again.

"I'm fine." 

"You're not. I don't want you to be upset." Laila stepped in the way so Ivy couldn't pass as easily. "You don't have to do this."

"I want to, Laila. That's the end of it." Ivy insisted, becoming a bit annoyed. She needed the distractions that came with being at school. She was much better off zoning out in class than rotting at home.

Laila managed to remain silent. Ivy knew she was just trying to help, but that wasn't what Ivy wanted. She was trying her hardest to live her life as if nothing changed. She was sure it was the only way she would survive.

When she and Laila parted for homeroom, Ivy was on her way to her locker. She took the shortcut through the halls in an effort to slip in and out of the social scene without being noticed.

He was standing at the opposite end of the hall, but Ivy's eyes were immediately drawn to him. She hated that he could do that without even trying -- like a magnet.

She considered merging into a group of students walking in the other direction to escape the scene, but it was too late.

Ivy forced her feet forward and began punching in the code to open her locker. Nathan was by her side in the time it took her to blink.

Ivy heard him take in a breath to speak, but his words seemed caught in his throat. She felt his eyes on her, critical of her messy appearance. What did he expect her to look like today?

Ivy stuffed her jacket inside the cubby and began to close the metal door.

~oOo~

Nathan Rice (18 M)

Saggitarius

Your challenge this week should present itself to you by morning. Based on your interpretation, your sign mate will decide your fate. What is written in the constellations cannot be erased. Your lucky number is 9.


Plenty of girls had left Nate speechless, but Ivy's ability to trick his tongue into silence was overwhelming. Today, it was for a different reason.

He approached her and felt the wool curtain drape itself over him again -- he still couldn't pinpoint the emotion. He watched her move slowly and somberly, like weights were tied to her ankles and wrists.

She was almost finished at her locker. Nate knew she would walk away without a word if he didn't speak up.

"I'm not entirely sure what to say..." Nate spluttered honestly.

Ivy kept her eyes cast down on the floor. They were sunken in, and dark, but still icy blue. "You don't have to say anything." She assured him, once again being too polite for her own good.

He jumped in front of her as she tried to walk away. "I mean, I could apologize for the other night, but I bet it wouldn't mean anything to you." 

Nate was very aware of her facial expressions. He needed them to determine if he was heading in the right direction, but her face stayed flat and emotionless. His strategy failed.

"I appreciate your concern, but I really don't mind. I'm not much of a party person. It isn't your fault."

Nate almost laughed at her inability to lie. "Right."

Her lips twitched.

Nate panicked. Since when did he panic? "I am, Ivy. I'm sorry."

She finally lifted her eyes to meet his. He reveled in the moment. He could tell she was desperate to leave.

"Will you meet me in the library after school? I could use some help with a History project."

Ivy began to take on her nervous qualities, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "I don't know if I'd be much help."

Nate cracked his signature smile. "I bet you would."

She scrambled to come up with an excuse. Nate already knew he wouldn't believe whatever terrible lie she came up with. "I don't know..."

"Under a lot of pressure, huh?" He asked, desperate to lighten the mood. "You should say yes."     

Ivy sighed a shaky sigh and eventually nodded.

Nate bent down to see her hidden face. "Is that a yes?" He asked excitedly.

This time, his strategy worked. Ivy released the tiniest of smiles and nodded a second time.

"Great! I'll see you later, then?"

"Okay."

Nate leaned in to kiss her cheek. His lips created a splash of color on her pale skin. He would be sure to keep color there more often.