Amity

Brokenhearted Baby

Mahogany had long ago accepted her soon-to-be life, whether it was her choice or not.

Her parents had screamed at her, with faces reddened and a fire in their voices that she hadn’t heard since she’d knocked her grandmother’s urn over when she was twelve – which had sent her grandmother’s ashes halfway across the living room carpet. Her mother had been three times as furious as her father, but like usual, her father was following the footsteps of her mother and mirrored her anger. After that her mother refused to speak directly to her, forwarding messages to her eldest daughter through her youngest or her husband. Nautica hadn’t fully understood the extent of her sister’s “condition” until her mother made her relay the message that her older sister was going to be living with their uncle in Nevada immediately after she got her diploma.

She had expected most of their reaction, though.

Breckan McKinley – he had been another story. It had been her and him for so long – almost two and a half years when the baby was announced.

Mahogany had been there for Breckan when his grandfather passed away and his mother became sick with cancer. She had been sitting on his bed, watching him grin like a fool, when a seemingly random college in Indiana called his fifteen-year-old self and told him that if he kept up his football skills and grades up they would be really interested in him after he graduated high school.

They were each other’s first loves – such a crucial part of growing up.

When the news of their baby fell from her lips his love for her seemed to instantly begin fading. He’d muttered “no” over and over, etching an echo in Mahogany’s mind for the next few months. Breckan didn’t want a baby, not now – and maybe not ever, he told her. She’d watched him preform before her, muttering profanities in between the latter of his repeated words. And as much as she promised herself she would be positive no matter what his reaction was, tears welled as she watched him change from her loving boyfriend into an immature boy who told her that she needed to get rid of “it.”

Breckan stopped stealing glances at her in the hallways of school just a week after she told him. By the following week everyone knew she was pregnant.

The last time she saw him was at their graduation, when he walked up to accept his diploma. The next day she heard he’d left for Indiana.

It wasn’t all rain clouds and loneliness for the brokenhearted girl though. Peter McCall, a boy she’d been friends with off and on since middle school befriended her once again. He didn’t care that her face was getting pudgier by the day or that her shirts began fitting tightly against the middle of her body. He’d quickly learned to back off when she was pissed and be comforting when she was feeling emotionally drained.

He let her know that someone was there for her through her remaining time in Georgia and that he’d be there for her still when she was miles away in Nevada. And it was the platonic relationship she needed to accept her decision and move on from something that she blatantly knew would never be the same again.

She wasn’t giving up on this baby.
♠ ♠ ♠
With this unnecessary, but stupidly necessary, background chapter out of the way this baby should be on it's way to more excitement. I have a handful of cute little characters (that I'm hopelessly in love with) for you to meet.

Unfortunately, these chapters probably won't come out as quickly as this little bit was. However, I hope the next chapters gain a bit of length to them. Okay, love you, bye.