But You Still Have All of Me

intro.

The beauty of darkness surrounded me, as I sat in front of the headstone. I stood up to take one last glance at it’s inscription.

Frank Iero
1981-2007
Taken from us too early
Dearly loved by all


The sight of it still hurt, but I managed not to cry. No, I wouldn’t. I had to stay strong. I had only cried a few times since I found out a year ago, but I had hit a point, and I refused to cry any more about it.

2006- June 26

I was so excited when I woke up. Not for myself, but for my little sister. She was graduating high school and I was very proud of her. I had spent that day helping her get ready, she was valedictorian and was nervous about her speech. I let her practice it on me, over and over. About an hour before it was time to leave, I received the call that left me so shocked, I wasn’t sure how to react.

I answered the phone “Hello!” recognizing Gerard’s number on the call ID.
“Aiden,” he said in a shaky voice, “there’s been an accident. Frankie and Ray… they were in the car. Ray got pretty banged up, and… Frankie, well… they don’t know if he’s going to make it.” he trailed off, beginning to cry.

My end of the line went dead silent as I tried to process what I had been told. All that was heard for a moment were Gerard’s soft sobs. When everything processed, I went in to full on panic.

“Where is he Gerard? Where the hell is he?” I asked frantically. I had already left my sister’s side and was going to put my shoes on to leave.
“He’s at Saint Mary’s.” he managed to get out clearly.

I hung up the phone and turn the ignition to my car. I hadn’t explained anything as I left the house, leaving my family in confusion as I drove to the hospital with tears blurring my vision.