Status: In Progress

Fantasy Reality

Chapter 1: How it all started...

I’ve often fantasized about certain famous people, meeting them and secretly hoping that one of them would realize how great I am and fall for me. I mean come on, I’ve read about how Kevin Jonas met his wife and that’s straight out of a fan fiction. You couldn’t write a better story even if you tried. The thing with fantasies though, is that at the end of the day, it’s just that…a fantasy. A dream or a wish that you would like to come true, while you continue living in the real world and dealing with reality.

It’s no secret that I am a huge sports freak; I subscribe to sports magazines, watch TSN and am a devoted hockey fan. It’s certainly not a surprise that my favorite athlete is Sidney Crosby, my facebook friends kid me on my little crush all the time. But did I ever think that I would get to this place and that my fantasy would become my reality? Absolutely not, but I think I’m getting a little ahead of myself… it all started less than a week ago

I had just finished my shift as a physiotherapy assistant when I sat down in the office to check my email before I went home for the day. I noticed that there was a message from Mike in my inbox. That wasn’t anything new, since Mike had found out that his Uncle was my Godfather a few months back, he managed to track me down on Facebook and we’ve exchanged emails quite frequently. It was nice to talk to someone who knew my Godfather and share stories of him since he had passed away from cancer a few years before. Even though Mike and I weren’t related, we quickly formed a brother/sister bond.

Since we both lived in Atlantic Canada, we secured a meet up and he was just as charming as his Uncle was. We spent hours looking at pictures and a new found friendship was formed. So as I clicked on the email, I wasn’t expecting to find something that would change things. Mike had mentioned that he was friends with Sidney Crosby and how they grew up together, but for some reason I just never believed him. Without beating around the bush, Mike wrote in his email that he was back in Pittsburgh to take care of some business and wanted to fly me there for the weekend and had arranged for me to meet Sidney.

Of course, I quickly typed out a reply saying yes and quickly found the annual leave request forms and started filling it out as fast as I could to ensure that I could get the time off to meet my hockey idol. Quickly, I mentally packed my suitcase as I signed out of the meditech system and logged off the computer. Grabbing my work bag, I hurried out of the office and waved a quick goodbye to the secretary as I ran down the stairs and out towards the staff parking lot.

By the time I arrived home, there was another email waiting for me with confirmation of my flight and Mike telling me that we would meet Sidney for dinner while I was in town. A nice, friendly meal was the words he used to describe my wildest dreams. I was thrilled and since he gave me such short notice, I would be leaving work the next day and heading straight to the airport.

*~*

I settled into my first class seat and pulled the seat belt tight for the fifth time. It’s not that I’m a nervous flyer, it’s just that I don’t like taking off or landing… or turbulence. Okay, maybe I am a nervous flyer. I was rechecking my belt again when a flight attendant came by and asked if I would like a glass of champagne. I had never flown first class before so I thankfully took the glass she offered and downed it. Liquid courage would be the only way I would make it through the flight.

The plane wasn’t full so I sat by myself for the duration of the flight from Halifax to Toronto where I was to go through customs and change flights. As I dragged my suitcase through Pearson International Airport I silently cursed myself on wearing my high heeled boots based on the concept that it went so well with my skinny jeans. I waited in line and finally got to the customs guard and passed him my passport.

“Business or pleasure?” he said in an annoyed voice as he looked me up and down.

“Umm… pleasure”, I said as I tried to juggle my carry on, purse and phone. He looked at me again and I couldn’t help but feel self-conscious. I never considered myself to be pretty; I was always the ugly duckling in school: overweight, glasses, short hair with bangs. Let’s just say that I wasn’t the one who was getting asked out. It took one of my friends asking out my crush for me and hearing his remarks that sparked something inside of me. The summer between 11th and 12th grade, I went on a crash diet, grew out my hair, got contacts and did a whole personality change. It wasn’t for the guy that turned me down, it was for me and ever since then I’ve made sure not to get too close to guys because they always ended up hurting me. Long story short, even though I was different on the outside, inside I was still that same insecure overweight girl who desperately wanted to fit in.

“Excuse me miss? Your passport”, I glanced up and saw that he was waving my passport in front of me. ‘Great’, I thought, ‘now everyone thinks you’re an idiot’. I took my passport, gave a quick thanks and continued to pull my suitcase along as I hurried to catch my connection. After checking in, I was back to just dealing with my carry on and purse and made my way through security. Of course, I set off the metal detector and was told to take off my shoes. I honestly don’t know why they think heels are dangerous. After a few more attempts and removing a few more things, I was finally at the other side of the security check point and trying to pull on my boots.

I was exhausted after a long day and was so happy to slide into the first class seat on the flight to Pittsburgh, so exhausted that I actually went into a deep dreamless sleep until the flight attendant gently shook me awake to announce our arrival. I glanced around and saw that over half the passengers had already deplaned so I grabbed my stuff, said a quick thank you to the flight attendant and walked into the terminal to get my suitcase and head out into the Pittsburgh night.

This wasn’t my first time to Pittsburgh, I had done a road trip with my cousin the year before to see Sidney play but unfortunately his concussion kept him on the sideline and me from seeing him work his magic on the ice. I hauled my suitcase off the baggage track and turned around to see Mike standing there holding a sign “C. George”.

“Is the sign really necessary?” I asked as he gave me a hug.

“Just wanted to make you feel like a VIP Carly”, he said as he grabbed my suitcase and we walked side by side towards the exit.

I buckled my seat belt in the passenger side of his Range Rover and leaned my head back against the headrest as we drove towards the twinkling lights of Pittsburgh.

“Hope you’re hungry”, Mike said interrupting my thoughts. “There’s been a change of plans and Sid has to fly to LA tomorrow, so we’re going to meet him now”.

That had my attention. I sat upright and gasped at Mike. “Oh no. No, no, no, no, no”, I said as I took inventory on what I was wearing. The boots and skinny jeans worked but I could definitely do with a new shirt, and my face! I didn’t even have makeup on and let’s not get started on my hair.

As if he was reading my mind, Mike looked over at me “you look great Carly, it’s just Sid”.

I pleaded with him to take me to the hotel first so I could do some damage control but it was no use, so as we drove along towards Morton’s to meet up with Sidney, I grabbed my bag and started rooting around to find anything I could use to help with my appearance. I found a hair elastic and threw my long dark brown hair up into a messy bun. When I found a compact and lip gloss, I almost squealed with delight as I blotted my face to try to erase the events of the day and used the lip gloss as a makeshift eye shadow, blush and lip stick to add some color to my pale complexion.

As we pulled up to the steakhouse, I threw one last glance at my reflection in the mirror as Mike exited the SUV and the valet started to climb in. Taking a deep breath, I exited the vehicle and walked up the steps with Mike and into the restaurant. ‘Here goes nothing’, I thought to myself as we were escorted to a booth towards the back of the restaurant where Sidney was already sitting and waiting.

After quick introductions, the table was pulled out for us as Mike and I slid in and the waiter pushed the table back into place. He took our drink orders and left us alone; with me situated next to Mike and across from Sid.

Before the waiter appeared with our wine and before I could say something that wouldn’t make me sound like a dork, Sid and Mike both turned their attention to me. “Carly”, Mike said, “I’m going to admit that this meeting isn’t all about you, in fact, we need your help”.

Raising my eyebrows, I glanced at Sid who was staring intently at me, “I have a proposition for you”.
♠ ♠ ♠
Feel free to leave comments if you like the story or if you don't, good or bad, I'd love to hear from you!