Status: In Progress

Fantasy Reality

Chapter 11: A Change in the Plan

We were in the process of getting into bed when there was a knock on the door. “Come in”, Sid yelled as I pulled back the covers and fluffed the pillows. Mario and Nathalie stepped inside the room. “Is this a good time to talk?” Mario asked as he and Nathalie took seats on the chairs. We nodded and I couldn’t help but wonder why they were here to talk to us.

“Carly”, Mario started, “Ron mentioned to me today, how great it was to see Sid with a girlfriend and how the other players here have really accepted it and he thinks this is something that can benefit Sid in the long run. Him having a girlfriend and being able to socialize with those teammates who are in long term relationships and be more of an integral part of the various wives and girlfriends charities. It would be a huge impact on his persona off the ice”.

I was a little puzzled with where Mario was headed with this conversation, but I tried to keep an open mind and see what all of this had to do with me. I took a drink from my water as he continued, “Sid and I spoke about this earlier this afternoon and basically we think that you two should keep up this arrangement for the entire hockey and post season.”

Choking on my water, I coughed and sputtered while Sid thumped me on my back. “Keep this up? I’m counting the hours until it’s over and I can go back to my normal, boring life. No offense, Sid”.

Mario wasn’t finished. “We understand it’s a lot to ask and we would be willing to pa…”

“Don’t say pay”, Sid interrupted, “she doesn’t take that word well”. I rolled my eyes at him and tried to concentrate on what Mario was saying.

“You would only need to come to the charity events, the Christmas party, and playoff games; but the rest of the time is yours to do as you want. You can stay in Moncton, fly in for events and then go back on your way again. The amount of events would obviously depend on if a lockout goes ahead or not”. Mario and Nathalie were staring intently at me.

I turned to face Sid. “Is this what you want?”

“I just want to play hockey, you doing this would allow me to concentrate on the game. I would do what I have to do on the ice and then go to events with you and wouldn’t have to worry about not having a date or having pictures leaked or anything. You would make life easier for me.” Sid gave me a reassuring smile.

“You’re willing to go a whole year without dating? Because if you think I’m going to fly in for events and be your official girlfriend while you date someone there on the side, that’s not going to work.”

“Are you forgetting who you’re talking to, this is the reason why we’re having this discussion in the first place. But it also goes two ways, you’re not allowed to date either”, he replied. It was almost like he was challenging me and I kinda liked it.

Nathalie, who had been quiet up to this point decided to add in her opinion. “Just think of it as a business arrangement. We will all set what we want from this relationship, shake hands and it’s an arrangement. If you decide down the road that you’re done, then that’s fine, people break up. You get to travel to various places, you can stay in hotel suites or at our house or Sid’s and we’ll help you.”

“And no one will know about this?” I asked

“Sid’s parents will know, but no one else besides Mike and us. Our children don’t even know and they won’t”, Mario explained.

My mind was racing. Was this something I could do? “Obviously I have to tell my mom that its fake, she knows that I haven’t been dating Sid for the past 2 months”.

“Of course, but she doesn’t really have to know the whole truth. You met me though Mike this weekend and we really hit it off. It isn’t lying; it’s just twisting the truth a little”. Sid looked at me and as soon as my green eyes locked with his that butterfly feeling appeared.

“I thought the truth was always better?” I asked as Sid flushed. “Yes, but this time there is some truth to go along with it, so just twist it”.

“What is with you and twisting the truth?” I ran my fingers through my hair and watched as Mario and Nathalie exchanged glances between them.

“Okay, if I was to go through with this, what am I going to do about work? I was told today that this was the last time I could get time off. They’re not very accommodating to people who just up and decide to jet set off to Pittsburgh or somewhere else”. This might be a once in a lifetime opportunity, but it wasn’t something I was willing to risk my job over.

“You can always move here, take a year off, people do it all the time”. I quickly turned my head in Sid’s direction. “Move to Pittsburgh? Don’t you think that’s kind of dramatic? Especially if the story is that we’ve only been dating for a few months?”

It was time for Nathalie to take over. “You can keep your job or you can move here. This is totally up to you and what you feel comfortable doing. It isn’t anyone’s business if you decide to move to Pittsburgh. If you decide to keep your job and have to take unpaid leave, then we will compensate you for your lost earnings”.

“I know you don’t want to take money, but we’re not paying you. We can just make sure you continue to receive your regular pay check”, Sid added.

“All other expenses will be paid for; we’ll give you a credit card for shopping since some of the events call for black tie attire. We will also foot the bill for airfare, hotel costs and whatever other costs you incur while this arrangement continues. Just think of it as free vacations”. Mario had it all figured out.

“And all I have to do is come to events, pretend to be a girlfriend and then go home until the next event?” As strange as all of this sounded, it seemed too easy. I was always taught that if it seemed too good to be true, then it probably is.

“That’s about it”, Sid said as he looked from me to Mario to Nathalie and back to me again.

“Just curious, if I’m in town for a few days, am I chilling by myself or are we hanging out and being a couple?” The thought just occurred to me and I had to ask before I lost my nerve.

Sid cleared his throat. “While you’re in town, I’m going to be the best fake boyfriend you’ll ever have. We can go out for dinner, double date, go to a movie, do the usual stuff”.

Mario added, “You’ll also have full access to the team suite at games or you can sit with us in our box, you’ll be able to park in the parking garage and have the same access to practices as everyone else.”

“We’ll help you with whatever you need, this isn’t mean to stress you out or put you in a difficult situation”, Nathalie chimed in.

This was all too much. “I’m just trying to figure out why Sid having a girlfriend is so important. I think him being single would have better appeal for all the girls who love him and have dreams of meeting him and dating him”. At least that was half the reason why I found him so appealing. Everyone loves to dream.

“That’s true, but it’s also more about respect. People are making assumptions of why he’s single, why he’s still living with us. He’s a 25 year old who has not had a girlfriend made public. We all think that this is what is needed to make him blend in more with his teammates and more relatable”. Mario did have a point. The room was silent and we were all glancing at each other.

Finally, I broke the silence. “Can I have just like 5 or 10 minutes to think about this? This is a lot to lay on someone”, I said as I stood up.

Sid was the next to stand, “Of course, I’ll be in their room, let us know when you’re ready”. Mario and Nathalie followed Sid out of the room and closed the door leaving me alone with my thoughts.

Pacing around the room, so many things were running through my head. What was I getting myself into? This was so beyond what I had agreed to. Could I do this? ‘Oh Carly, who are you kidding; you know you’re going to do this’; I told myself as I stopped pacing and looked out at the stars visible in the night sky. The only question that kept coming back and bothering me was ‘What happens if you fall for him?’ This was all a sham and at the end of the day, who is the person most likely to get hurt? Yeah, that’s right, me.

I lost track of time and a light knock on the door brought me back to reality. “Carly, are you okay?” Sid asked quietly.

“Ya, come in”, I called and watched as he slowly opened the door and peeked his head inside the room. “Are you ready or do you need more time to think?”

“No, I’m good. You can tell Mario and Nathalie that I’m ready”. Sid’s head disappeared and a few moments later, they all entered the room again.

Pulling the chairs closer to the bed, Mario and Nathalie sat on them as Sid and I sat next to each other on the bed. Sitting Indian style, I took a deep breath. “I’m in, but we have to really make sure we’re on the same page”, I informed them.

Relief flooded over their faces and they smiled back at me. “Absolutely”, Mario said as he leaned forward, put his elbows on his knees and rested his chin on his hands. “For our part, Nathalie and I will ensure you are informed of the events, make travel arrangements and book hotels. I can have a credit card ready for you by the time we leave here and make sure that you have a vehicle at your disposal while you’re in Pittsburgh”.

Nathalie was next, “I’ll also help you get acquainted being a hockey girlfriend, help you transition into the wives and girlfriends charities and just offer any help you need as this goes public”.

I groaned. Public? Did I really know what I was getting myself into? “As for me, I promise to play awesome hockey and whenever you are in Pittsburgh, I will do everything to make you feel at ease and help you in any way possible”. Sid’s eyes were twinkling and I knew that this was only going to get harder if he was already having an effect on me. “Oh, and I promise I will not date anyone else or use your flip flops to kill another spider”, he added with a wink.

His statement brought a smile to my face. “Okay, well I agree to come to any event that you think I should attend, I won’t date anyone else, and I will act professional in public so I don’t bring unwanted attention towards Sid”. I looked around at everyone and saw that they were all relaxed.

“I think that’s about everything”, Mario said as he sat back in the chair. “Anything anyone wants to add?”

“Ummm… can we just have an easy out clause? If either of us fall for someone else or need out for a reason, we can do so at any time”. The three of them looked at me.

It took a moment or two before Sid spoke. “That’s fine by me”, he said as he looked at Mario. Mario nodded his approval and we all shook hands.

“Looks like you are my official and exclusive girlfriend”, Sid said as he stood up. “Hope you’re ready to enter the world of hockey”.

The world of hockey? Hell, I just hoped I was ready to be seen in the same area as Sid, let alone be introduced into his very public life. One thing was certain; I would no longer lead a boring life. Something told me that this was going to be the ride of my life and I would have to hold on for dear life the entire time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Do you think Carly is going to be able to fit in with the Penguins wives and girlfriends? Will they be able to keep this sham under wraps or will the truth come out?

Feel free to comment, love hearing your thoughts and hope you enjoy!