Status: In Progress

Fantasy Reality

Chapter 13: And so it Starts

“Excuse me?”

“You heard me, I know what game you’re playing”, Gabrielle said as she moved closer to me. “Your relationship with Sid is crumbling and you’re playing the role as sick patient to trick him into staying with you. It’s classic”.

“What the hell are you talking about?” I asked angrily as I tried and failed to sit up.

“I’ve spent the past few days watching you guys and something’s just not adding up. I figured that this was the one last ditch attempt at saving your relationship. Go to an Island paradise for a few days to see if things turn around and when they didn’t, you go and pretend that you’re hurt so he doesn’t leave you. I wouldn’t even be surprised if you’re knocked up, that’s one way to make sure he’ll never leave you”. She was now sitting on a chair with her red acrylic nails drumming on the table.

“That might be your relationship with Jon, but that’s not what’s happening with me and Sid. Not that it’s any of your business, but we’re better than ever”, I told her.

“Really? So why has he been flirting and hitting on me all week? Come on Carly, did you think that hotshot moneybags Crosby would really settle for you? It’s fine for him to introduce you to players on a private Island, but we both know that he will never come out with you in public. You are just not NHL girlfriend material, let alone superstar material. Sid deserves someone like me, someone who can handle the fame and the fortune.”

What the hell was this chick smoking? Who did she think she was? Maybe I was high off the pills Sid gave me. I blinked and hoped she would have disappeared in a puff of smoke, but no, she was still there.

“Someone like you? Jon must be so proud to call you his girlfriend. If Sid wanted a plastic Barbie with a fake personality, I’m sure he’d have already dated you. You might want to look into getting your eyes checked too, because if you’ve been thinking Sid’s flirting with you then you’re not only dumb but blind. If you don’t mind, I’m trying to rest so you can get the hell out of my room”.

Gabby looked as if I slapped her in the face, but she stood and headed towards the door. Just before she reached for the door knob, she turned back towards me. “Watch your back Carly, you’ve just made a big mistake and I’m going to make sure that you pay for it. The real wives and girlfriends are close and we don’t take lightly to outsiders. Enjoy living in your little fantasy world with Sid because all of it will crumble around your feet faster than you can say your name… I promise you that much”. She hauled opened the door and made a dramatic exit, making sure to slam the door behind her.

I stared at the door for several moments, replying her words. I wasn’t threatened by her, but the part about my fantasy world crumbling around me, kept playing in my mind. I had no doubt that it would happen. You could only keep up appearances for so long and already there were cracks forming.

Still contemplating Gaby’s words, the door handle turned and the door slowly opened. I was ready to tell her to go fuck herself when Sid’s head appeared. “Look what I found!” Sid threw a pack of cards next to me as he climbed slowly onto the bed as not to disturb me. “Wanna play crazy 8’s?”

“With you? Not really.” I picked up a magazine that was next to me on the bed and started to flick through it; Sid snatched it out of my hand and threw it on the floor. “Why not?” he asked, as he started shuffling the cards.

“I’ve read all about you and your competitiveness, besides, it’s our last night here. Why don’t you go and hang out with everyone else?”

Sid looked hurt. “I don’t want to leave you here alone, what kind of boyfriend would I be to leave you alone?”

“Umm… a normal one? Being a couple, even a fake couple, doesn’t mean that we have to spend every moment together. I’m not going to be mad if you go and spend time with everyone else”. I shifted so I could get a better look at him.

Taking off his black Reebok hat, he ran his fingers though his unruly hair. “I know, but everyone is coupled off and it just isn’t right. But if you want me to go….”

“Forget it, let’s play”. Sid’s grin was contagious as he started passing out the cards.

*~*

“This is bullshit, you’re cheating”, he said as he threw down the remaining cards in his hand. “Sid, it’s crazy 8’s, how am I cheating?”

“I dunno, but I’m good at this.” He lay back against the pillows and stared up at the ceiling. “Come on Crosby; are you seriously upset because I whipped your ass at a card game?”

“You did not whip my ass, you just got lucky”, he muttered as he continued to stare at the ceiling.

“Okay, answer me this question. When you lose a hockey game, on a scale of 1 to 10, how pissed are you when you go home?”

Sid contemplated my question for a moment before he answered. “About a 15.”

“Great… can’t wait for hockey to start”, I muttered as I turned, cringing slightly at the spasm that shot through my back, onto my back and folded my hands across my stomach. We lay there for a while, staring up at the ceiling, not moving and not saying a word.

This time, it was me that broke the silence. “Change of subject, what do you think of Gabrielle?” I asked and he turned his head to look at me.

“I don’t think of her”, he said. “Why do you ask?”

“No reason”. I shifted my eyes away from his and looked back up at the ceiling. “Bullshit”, I turned my head back towards him. “I’m calling bullshit on that. Why do you want to know what I think of her?”

“Umm… she came to visit and had some interesting stuff to say”. Sid’s eyes flashed with anger and I instantly regretting bringing it up.

“What did she say?”

“It was nothing, honestly”. I wished I could kick myself, why did I have to ask that question?

Sid was staring intently at me and I knew that he wouldn’t let it slide. “She just said that she was more suited to be your girlfriend than I was and that I didn’t belong”.

Sid was in a sitting position in a flash, “That bitch”. “What are you doing?” I asked as he jumped off the bed.

“I’m going to talk to her”, he was halfway to the door, “No!” I yelled as I tried to sit up. Ignoring the blinding pain in my back, I managed to haul myself up into a sitting position and swing my legs over the side of the bed.

“Sid, if you walk out that door; I’m going after you and I’m not sure that I’m going to make it”. He turned around and looked at me. Sighing, he walked over and picked up my legs and placed them back on the bed. “Fine, I’m not going anywhere. But if she says anything else, I’m saying something”, he said as he helped me lie back down.

“Agreed”, I said as he fluffed my pillow and pulled the covers up, tucking me in. Bending down, he rubbed the side of my face. “I’m sorry for getting you into this mess”, he brushed a piece of hair off my forehead and softly kissed my lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
So sorry for the long wait in between updates, its been a hard 2 weeks, my Dad passed away and its been difficult getting back into the Sid/Carly saga. But thank you for the comments on the last chapter, they brought a smile to my face.

Thanks to everyone who read, commented, recommended or subscribed... as always, feedback is always welcomed! Happy Halloween everyone!!!