Status: Complete. <3 thank you for reading.

Write It Down

Chapter Fifteen

At Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA), we believe there isn't one way to beat cancer - there are hundreds. For nearly 30 years, we've been committed to finding the right combination of personalized cancer treatments for our patients.
Together with you and your caregivers, we develop an integrated treatment plan that's right for you.


Alex read the introductory paragraph of the CTCA’s website over and over again. He clicked on the Hospitals tag on the page a few times before it actually loaded.
He was at his parent’s and the computer that was in his old room was far from up-to-date.

Locations:
Newnan, GA


A mere one hour away from where Alex would be working, if he were to except the job in Atlanta. It was becoming more clear that there was a bigger plan for he and Jack by being offered this amazing opportunity. Alex would be able to follow his dreams, and Jack would get a better chance to live…

He knew it was a long-shot, however. It was going to be expensive and he didn’t have the money to pay for it on a journalist’s salary. It seemed almost impossible.

“Alex, honey, its supper time.” His mother poked her head in his door and smiled. He came here today to talk to them about his possible move.
And to talk about Jack.

He walked down the stairs slowly, wondering exactly how he was supposed to tell them about his boyfriend. He’s never had one of those, of course… But his parents were always understanding of his own way so he wasn’t particularly worried about it.

He looked around the table and smiled at his parents and the wonderful food his mother had prepared as he sat down. Ever since he graduated college his mother has always made a big deal about his returns home, always making a huge meal; anything he wanted, she would say.

“Potatoes, son?” His father asked as he nodded and watched him glob a pile of the mashed dish onto his plate.
He got the rest of the food he desired, and proceeded to eat as his parents told him stories of the past month or so that he hadn’t been home.
He nodded in the appropriate places, and laughed when his father would tell a joke. But in the back of his mind he had Jack’s sickly expression, and his blistered, damaged body pictured.

And finally, after everyone had finished their meals, and his mother was getting up to start cleaning the dishes, Alex spoke up.

“Guys, we need to talk..” He said, barely above a whisper. He was terrified to say the least, but his parents had no idea what was going on in his life.
And, they of all people should know.

“Oh, what about, sweetheart?” His mother asked, sitting back down in her seat, pausing her cleaning for a bit.

“I-I got offered a job. A better job, one worth all that money you put into my college education..” He paused.
He was about to continue, but his mother just lit up with excitement.

“ALEX!” She reached over and gave her son a giant hug. The pride she had towards him was glowing off of her face.

“Congratulations, son. I knew you’d make something out of that dream of yours.” His father said, grinning from ear to ear.

“What job? Give us details!” His mother squeeked, finally letting go of him so he could answer. The job was so far away… he would miss his family if he took it.

“It’s in Atlanta. A guaranteed article in each Sunday paper..” He smiled, because yeah, despite his stress the job sounded amazing.

His mother smiled and nudged him to continue. “B-But that’s not the problem, mom..”

“Oh, honey, we’ll help you get an apartment down there! Don’t worry about the living expenses for now, you need to focus on getting comfortable there!” She smiled, obviously missing the point because living expenses were the last of his worries.

“No, mom.. I have something to tell you..” He spoke up. She looked at him and nodded, he assumed that was an okay to go on with his news.

“A few months ago, I met someone. And I want them to come with me..” He paused as his mother and father almost simultaneously smiled. “I think we’re in love.. Well, no. I know we’re in love..” He stopped as he waited for his parent’s reaction.

His mother put her hand over her mouth in pure joy as his father was the first to speak. “Isn’t that kind of fast, moving in with a girl this early? We haven’t even met her yet..”

His mother nodded in agreement. “Are you sure about that, Alex?”

He knew there would be some type of reaction like this. But he was prepared. “Um, actually.. The only reason you haven’t met him, yet, is, he..” Alex paused as he closed his eyes and tried to collect the nerves to tell his parents that the boy they haven’t met yet, the boy their son was in love with was dying.

“Are you trying to tell us you’re gay, son?” His father asked.
Oh. He had completely forgotten about that little detail.

“Yeah, I guess that’s part of it but there’s more…” He paused for a short second before he finally told his parents what he came here to tell them. “You haven’t met him yet, because for the past few weeks, we have just now been getting serious. But, I have also been taking Jack to chemo every week for a little over a month now, and-“ He paused as his eyes began to water. “He hasn’t really been in the shape to meet anyone…”

He could feel the tears silently spilling over, but he made sure his face remained in the same expression, not wanting his mother to get to upset about him being hurt by this.

“Oh, Alex..” His mother walked and sat in her son’s lap as she cradled his head in her chest. “Shh..”

“I don’t think I’m going to take the job. Because there’s this treatment center around Atlanta and I know they could probably save his life.. he’s dying right now. Dying and that place is so expensive. Neither of us could afford it, but I know that he needs me with him, so I’m staying..” Alex spilled out, but the tears had gotten worse and even though he said he wasn’t going to cry this much, this hard; that didn’t stop the sobs from escaping his body.

He covered his face as he said his next words. “I love him so much, and he’s dying..”

This absolutely broke his mother’s heart. Sure, her son’s circumstances were new and it was a lot to be thrown at in one day, but it killed her to see her son like this.

Her husband noticed the pained expression in both of their faces, and honestly, it hurt him too. Alex had never been one to bring a lot of his relationships home, and when he did the love didn’t radiate from his body when he spoke of them like it did now.
“I’ll pay for his treatments.” Mr. Gaskarth said, the room becoming automatically silent. Alex came here to inform them.
Not to ask his father for money…

“Dad.. you don’t-“ He started, but was cut off by his mother.

“No, that’s a great idea. We want you to follow your dreams and become the man you want to be. And, you can’t succeed if the love of your life was here and you were there.” She smiled. “And either way, you’re going to Atlanta. So except your father’s offer.” She winked at her son as his face cleared of the stress that had been rubbed off on it after all these weeks.

“Oh my God..” He hugged his mother as tight as he could. “THANK YOU!” He laughed. Jack had finally gotten the chance that he needed and it was all because of his amazing parents. They were going to pay for the cancer treatment of a boy they didn’t even know just because they knew it would make Alex happy.

This whole time Alex thought this was the end for Jack. That Jack wasn’t going to find his happy ending, and every night it kept Alex up and ate at him during the day; but that’s all different now..

For weeks he thought it was just going to be a downhill battle for him and Jack. But no.

It seemed like his boyfriend still had some healing to do.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so I lied.
THIS is the happiest chapter for awhile.

Love, Meet Mr. & Mrs. Gaskarth. ;)