Status: You'll die in his hands.

Melody's Melodies

Step one: Wake up



“Hey mom, how are you doing?” Devin is sitting on the windowsill again, cigarette in between his fingers. “That’s good, how’s Ninna doing?”

Ninna is what he calls his grandmother.

“Oh.” “Oh no. Mom, I’m sorry.”

“Yeah, you’re right, does that mean you’ll be coming home soon?”

He’s sorry that his grandmother has passed away, but he’s not really upset about it, he was expecting it. He has been preparing himself for it. . . He’s now more worried about his mother coming home, he doesn’t know what he’s going to do about telling her about Melody.

“I can’t wait to see you either mom. . . School has been going good, I met a girl. She’s really nice, I think you’d like her.”

“I know mom, I’ll call you later, love you too.”

Devin tosses his phone onto the sofa and finishes his cigarette. He crushes the butt into the ashtray, blows out and then gets up. He walks quietly down the hall towards his bedroom, when he hears sniffling. He opens the room door, when he sees Melody on the floor in the corner. She’s got her hands in her hair, her face is wet, and her legs are tucked under the white shirt, stretching it out.
Devin opens the door further and Melody looks over at him and gasps. He starts to walk over when she shakes her head.

“No, please.” She whimpers her voice cracks. “Can I be alone for a few minutes? I’ll get out of your way soon, I swear.”

“Take all the time you need,” he says quietly. “I’ll be in the kitchen if you need me.”

Devin goes into the kitchen, pours a bowl of Frosted Flakes, adds milk and a little bit of sugar and then sits on a stool at the island counter. He sighs and takes a spoonful of the cereal, eating it.
Devin hopes that his mother will understand. He hopes that she’ll be okay with Melody staying in their home. He knows that his mom is going through a lot of shit with her own mother passing, but he knows that he can’t have Melody return home.

He finishes up his cereal, washes the bowl and spoon, and then places the dishes back on the counter, along with the Frosted Flakes, in case Melody wants to eat something.

The light from the ceiling lights shine down on Devin, the dust particles move around over his head. He’s looking down at his phone. Melody has stepped into the kitchen, quietly. Devin doesn’t realize she’s behind him, she bites her lip, wipes her face again to make sure there’s no sign of tears.

She steps up behind him and places her hands delicately around his stomach, resting her head on his shoulder.

He places his phone onto the table, unlocked and reaches up to her hands.

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m sorry I cry all the time. . . I guess you wouldn’t have ever thought you’d be caught up with a girl like me.”

“I regret nothing. I’m happy I met you.”

She starts to sniffle. “Thank you. Thank you so much, you are so much more than I could ever ask for.”

Devin takes her hands in his and spins around in his stool to face her.

“You know, I have been with enough girls and I’ve been in enough relationships to know now. That all I ever did was lie. That’s why none of them ever lasted. I didn’t care about any of them. I now realize that, because I never felt the way I do now, with any of them. I love you, I care about you, I will do anything in my power to protect you, to make you happy and you Melody. You mean so much to me,” Devin says the last sentence quietly.

“I don’t care what anyone else has to say,” he continues. “I don’t care that we’ve only known each other for a week. It doesn’t even matter, because I’m with you. I don’t need nor do I want any other girl. You are the one, you are special in every way, yes you’ve been hurt, but I want to be able to help you get better. I want to heal you, you’re my girl, my Melody in my favorite song.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Updated, whoo!