Status: You'll die in his hands.

Melody's Melodies

You see right through me



“I’m taking you to the hospital today.”

“No, I’m okay. It looks worse than it actually is.”

Her arm is swelling up a bit and that worries Devin.

“Stop trying to cover up your pain all of the time, I know it hurts I can see it in your eyes. I’ll call a taxi and we’ll go to Kurt’s office. He’s a family friend who is also a doctor, so he’ll most likely be able to help, otherwise if I took you to the ER they would require a parent.”

“I don’t want my dad finding out,” the words rush out of her mouth.

“He won’t,” he says, giving her a reassuring look.

Devin calls a taxi and tells Melody to get ready. When she’s done in the shower, brushing her teeth, brushing her hair and dressing in the clothes she wore to school Friday, Devin tells her that there’s cereal that she can have if she’s hungry while he’s getting ready.

Melody does that and it takes 20 minutes after Devin is ready for the taxi to show up. Those twenty minutes Melody tried to convince Devin that she was okay, but he wasn’t buying it.

They get in the taxi and ride into town to this brown brick building. Devin takes her hand when they get there and leads her into an office, with a glass doors and clear glass windows that have blinds preventing people from looking in or out.

Devin opens the door for Melody, but she stands there instead and waves her hand slightly for him to step in first. He sighs a little, but goes first and holds the door open for her.

“Hey Kurt,” Devin says to a brunette, bearded man standing behind the desk.

“Hey Devin,” he smiles at Devin and then looks at Melody. “Is this young lady with you?”

The bearded man smiles at her.

“Yeah, this is Melody. She’s actually, the reason I came up here. I wanted to know if you could check her arm out.”

“Oh well sure I can. Let me just put these papers in the filing cabinet, Sandra’s out today. You two can go back into one of the rooms back there.”

The man walks off and Melody sees that he doesn’t really look like a doctor. He actually looks like he’s about to go golfing, only he has a stethoscope around his neck and glasses resting on the top of his head.

Devin takes Melody’s hand and leads her to a room that looks like every other doctor’s exam room. The chairs against the wall, the exam bed with the crinkly paper, the cabinet and counter with: (cotton swabs, alcohol, gloves, etc) and the stool on wheels.

The two of them sit in the chairs available and Melody is nervous. She’ s taken her hand away from Devin’s and keeps running her fingers through her tangled curled hair and bouncing her left leg.

“Sweetie, there’s nothing to worry about,” he says, trying to be soothing.

“Make me a promise okay?” she says quickly and quietly.

“Okay,” he says hesitantly.

“Promise me that you won’t tell him how this happened. Promise me you won’t say anything about my father,” she whispers.

He only blinks at her.

“Promise me Devin,” she says.

“Okay fine,” he sighs. “I promise.”

“Thank you.”

That’s when Kurt walks in. He smiles at Melody and sits down on the rolling chair.

“So what seems to be the problem Melody?”

She swallows and then looks at the floor.

“My arm, I think it’s broken,” she says softly.

“Broken!” he exclaims. “Well let me check it out.”

Melodys’ arm gets looked out. She’s told to wiggle her fingers, which she can do, make a light fist, straighten it and move it around which does in fact cause pain, but she is able to do so.

“When did this happen?” Kurt asks.

“Um, a few days ago,” Melody replies while looking at the cotton swabs on the counter.

“Have you gotten this checked out already?”

She shakes her head no. She can feel his eyes on him, but she doesn’t look at him, she knows he’s only judging.

“Well, I don’t believe your arm is broken, it doesn’t feel that way and with you being able to move it around and lasting so long without getting this checked out, you should be fine, but. I will do an X-ray for you.”

“Okay,” she says quietly and that’s when she finally looks up at him.

After the x-rays, Melody learns that it’s not broken, just sprained so she is told to practice RICE. (Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate).

Kurt wraps her arm up in an ace bandage and starts questioning her again.

“How did this happen?”

Melody doesn’t hesitate, she’s been thinking of an excuse since her and Devin got in the taxi.

“I fell down my stairs, tripped over my little puppy,” she lets out a nervous laugh. Trying her best to be convincing.

“Oh, really? Do your parents know about the incident?”

“Yeah. . .” She looks away from him again.

Kurt doesn’t press her with anymore questions and Melody then thanks the doctor and tries to think of other things so that she doesn’t break down in front of this man.