Status: You'll die in his hands.

Melody's Melodies

Inhale, Exhale



It’s 7 in the morning.

Melody is wrapped up in the sheets asleep Devin holding her from behind, his arms wrapped around her midriff, his head laying on her hair.

Melody lets out a soft sigh, stretches, pops the air bubbles in her toes and slightly moves her head to the left to look at Devin.

He’s in deep sleep, breathing deeply, his lips are parted only slightly. Melody smiles at him and sits up some of her hair still tucked under Devin’s head.

She gets up and goes to the bathroom.

She stares at her reflection.

She’s changed, she knows she has.

Besides the faint bruising under her eyes and the brace on her arm, she looks better.
Melody is afraid of what is going to come next, but she knows that she won’t have to return to her father, no matter what.

Maybe she can get back into dancing. Ms. Green would be thrilled to see her again.

Melody closes her eyes, takes in a slow breath.

Inhale, exhale.

She takes a step back, gets into first position, second position, third. Takes another deep breath, memories flooding into her head. Thinking of how life was when she only had happy memories when dancing.

Fourth position, fifth.

She misses how in the studio her feet swept across the black floor that had the marks and streaks of hard work.

She snaps out of her daydream and steps out of the bathroom to see Devin is sitting up, back against the bed frame, rubbing his eyes.

“Hi,” Melody says quietly.

Devin stops rubbing his eyes, looks at Melody and smiles at her. “Hey sweetheart.”

He opens his arms for Melody to come over. She walks over and sits down next to Devin. He winds his arms around her.

“How did you sleep love?”

Melody blushes, thinking of last night, how it was everything she never imagined, how sweet and gentle Devin was and how it made her sleep so well.

“Great, better than I have in a very long time.”

He smiles and kisses her neck. “That’s good.”

Then his phone vibrates, it’s a phone call.

Devin reaches over to the nightstand to get it.

“Hey mom,” he answers and gets up off the bed, going into the living room.

“How are you,” he says to his mom. “Oh really, when? Now? When do you think you’ll be here? Oh. . . Yes mom, I’m going to school. Alright, see you later, love you too. Bye.”

Devin hangs up the phone and sighs, going back to where Melody is.

Devin has a somewhat distressed look on his face. There are lines in his forehead, looking down at the floor as he makes it into the room.

“What’s wrong?” Melody asks in a soft voice.

He takes a deep breath and looks up at her, “my mom’s on the way home.”

“Oh,” she bites her bottom lip. “What does that mean?”

“I uh- Need to talk to her, but that’s not until later, we should probably head to school. Clear our minds of this for now.”

“Okay,” it’s all Melody says.

Getting ready for school, she grabs her freshly washed gray sweater and blue jeans with her gray Vans she wore the Friday night she ran to Devin’s house.

She shivers a little thinking of that night, the night everything changed.

She pushes the sleeves of the sweater back for her brace to be a little more comfortable to wear.
Melody has no backpack today only her doctor’s note. She doesn’t need anything though besides paper and a pencil which Devin gave her, and no previous work was needed which is lucky for her. She gets plenty of make-up work and even more questioning looks.

There are twenty minutes left of school, Melody’s in Calculus and for the first time all year, another student who wasn’t asking something school related talks to her.

“What happened to your arm?”

The girl has been giving Melody looks from the corner of her eye all period.

“Oh- I uh I’m pretty clumsy, fell down some stairs and you know, bruised it up pretty bad,” Melody stammers a bit.

“That sucks, feel better soon,” she blows it off, probably was hoping for a more interesting story.

Melody nods, “thanks,” she says quietly.

Class is over and the girl talks to her again.

“Your name’s Melody right?”

Melody nods.

“I’m Samantha, nice to meet you,” she smiles.

“You too.”

Devin and Melody meet up at the front of the school, head to the school bus stop, once picked up they get dropped off and go to Devin’s house.

Once they get there they see a green Kia Soul.

Devin says something under his breath.

“What?” Melody asks.

He shakes his head, “that’s my mom’s car.