Status: You'll die in his hands.

Melody's Melodies

Gone fragile



Devin takes the school bus home from school today, he needs to shower he hasn’t been home since his overnight visit at the hospital yesterday. Thankfully when he gets to his house, his mother’s not there. He doesn’t want to hear her go on and on about how he should stay home.

He goes inside, drops his stuff in his room, and grabs some clothes to take a shower. While washing his hair, he starts thinking of Melody like he always does all day. It’s day three, Melody squeezed Devin’s hand last night and she’s been moving her legs. The doctor says that means she’s not deep in her coma and that she should awaken at any moment now.

When he’s showered and dressed he heads out into the living room.

He sees his mom in the kitchen with a coffee mug.

“Devin,” she says surprised.

He sighs, “hey.”

“I want to talk to you.”

Devin scratches the top of his head, “I don’t want to talk right now mom I have to go.”

“Wait. I need to talk to you, I’m still your mother it doesn’t matter how angry you are with me.”

Devin rolls his eyes. “Fine, okay.”

He goes and sits on one of the chairs at the island counter.

“Where’ve you been?”

“With Melody,” he answers flatly.

“Well what happened, you never told me?”

“Mom, I don’t want to talk about it, you don’t even care, so let’s just drop it and I’ll get going.”

“Devin please. I’m trying I’m dealing with a lot so please just try to understand.”

Devin takes a deep breath and nods, “you’re right . . . I’m sorry mom. I know with Ninna passing away you’re going through a lot, I’m sorry, I’m not trying to be insensitive at all it’s just. . . Melody means a lot to me and-” Devin scratches his chin. “I just want her to get better, I’m worried.”

“Thank you. . . Can you please tell me what happened?”

“She’s in a coma.”

“Oh my god.”

“Yeah, she swallowed some pills . . .”

“I’m so sorry sweetheart, is she going to make it?”

“They said so, they said she should wake up soon. . . I need to go back to the hospital.”

“I’ll take you,” she says after taking another sip and putting it down on the counter.

“It’s okay, you don’t have to do that I can take the bus.”

“No I want to, come on.”

Devin and his mom head out to the hospital, not saying much to each other and once they’re parked, Devin starts to get out.

“Do you want me to come with you?” she asks.

“No it’s okay thanks for the ride.”

“No problem.”

He’s out, about to shut the door.

“Hey, when do you want me to pick you up?”

He shakes his head, “I’m not sure, I might stay the night again.”

She’s about to object, but then lets it go. “Okay, call me.”

“I will.”

Devin heads inside the building, to the elevator up to floor 8, off the elevator and he walks to room 24A. He slowly opens the door, there are nurses inside and he hears a soft voice he’s been missing and it makes his chest tighten. He gets closer to Melody’s bed to see that she is awake.

“Melody,” he says quietly, eyes glassy.

The nurses turn to see Devin.

“Hi,” she says, trying to sits up.

Devin gives her a small smile and waits for the nurses to finish unhooking her from the tubes on her face except her IV and she still has her heart monitor hooked to her, they tell her that a doctor will be in soon to talk to her more about what happens next and then they leave.

He can’t move, only look. Melody looks so frail and pale her once golden hair looks more brown than gold and not vibrant. She bites her bottom lip, looks at her hospital blanket then at Devin.

“Come sit next to me,” she says weakly.

He does. “How long have you been awake?”

“I . . . I don’t know.”

She looks tired and confused, Devin touches her hand. She closes her eyes and sits back.

“Are you tired?” Devin asks.

“Yes, but,” she starts mumbling. “Don’t wanna sleep . . . Am I dreaming?”

“No sweetheart. . . I love you,” Devin wants her to talk to him, but doesn’t want to push her.

“luh you,” she slurs, she’s asleep now.

Devin has been reading up on comas in his free time, which he has a lot of now. The first day someone comes out of a coma, they are usually confused and they don’t stay awake for long. They don’t know what is going on around them and don’t know the people around. He’s happy she remembers him.

He has more hope now more than ever.