Status: You'll die in his hands.

Melody's Melodies

Forgotten sense of me



Melody lies in the hospital bed. She feels a little dizzy, but things are coming back to normal for her.
She’s still going in and out of sleep, but not as much as before. Melody also feels weak, she’s not allowed to eat yet, still being fed intravenously they don’t want to rush anything.

Devin is at school, he told her he’d be back afterwards.

She knows that he wants to talk to her, but she’s afraid of what he’ll ask and what she’ll answer with.
Melody sits absentmindedly playing with her hair when a man enters the room.

“Hello Melody,” the man says.

He’s wearing slacks and a red polo shirt. He extends a hand to Melody and she gently shakes it.

“My name’s Rich, I’m a psychologist.”

Melody slips her hand back to her side; she knows where this is going.

“I want to talk to you about well, you.”

Melody only nods.

Rich sits down in the chair, with his little notepad and pen.

“Well first, I want to know how things are at home.”

Melody tucks some hair behind her ear, takes a deep breath and sighs.

“What do you mean?” she asks weakly.

“How’s mom?”

“Dead,” she says bluntly.

There’s silence between them, she feels Rich’s eyes on her as she looks off out the window, the grey sky letting the rain leak from it.

“I’m sorry to hear that. . . How did that affect you?”

Melody closes her eyes. “I- I guess, it made me sad. Sad and angry.”

“Why did that make you angry?” he asks.

“Because she left me,” her voice cracking.

“How did your dad take this?”

“Nothing changed inside of him, he stayed the same.”

“So he treated you the same, like he always did. Tell me, what is a day with dad usually like?”

“The only thing that changed with Griffin is the punching bag. I became his punching bag for seven years just up until a few weeks ago.”

“You. . . He beat you.” It’s not a question. “Did he ever show you any love?”

Melody shakes her head, “I don’t want to talk anymore . . . I’m tired,” her voice is broken.

Rich clears his throat. “There aren’t many more questions to go. . . Have you ever felt like you were loved, by anyone?”

“Devin. Devin loved me.” She’s almost in tears. “I shouldn’t have done this to him, I hurt him. I don’t think he’ll ever forgive me, I betrayed him . . .”

A tears slips down the side of her face.

“What was the last straw, what made you want to take your life?”

“I felt unwanted by everyone. My mother left, my father never wanted me, I thought and truly felt Devin wanted me, but I had nowhere to go and his mother didn’t want me around. I thought we’d never be able to be together and so. . . I felt the only place I had left to go was my true home.”

Melody feels that Devin won’t ever love her again. It’s only a matter of time when he leaves her too.