Status: You'll die in his hands.

Melody's Melodies

She's hurt, he's also hurt



“They’re taking me to a psych ward,” Melody says.

She’s staring at her hands. Devin holds her clothes in his lap; he brought her some clothes thinking she was going to be discharged today. She’s been in the hospital for five days now.

“Why? I thought they knew you were stable enough to go home.”

“Apparently not,” she mumbles.

“How long?”

She shrugs her shoulders.

“That’s not right, how is that fair at all?”

“They don’t think I’m mentally stable yet.”

Devin wants to object, but he doesn’t want her to leave and she doesn’t feel any better and so they end up right back here, or worse. . .

“Oh,” is all he says.

“Are you hungry?” Melody asks, changing the subject. “Do you want some of this meatloaf?”

“No Melody you should eat you haven’t eaten in five days.”

She groans, “my first meal in a week and I get mushy meatloaf, bland mashed potatoes and carrots.”

Devin snickers at her; she’s been cranky all afternoon.

She cuts her meatloaf up with her plastic spoon into twelve pieces and eats nine of them, a little bit of the mashed potatoes and four slices of the carrot.

“I can’t eat anymore of this.”

“You ate enough; I’ll put it on the cart for the cafeteria people to grab it.”

He does that then looks at her, she looks a bit better, her color is back, her hair brighter, but that pain is still in her eyes.

“Did that tell you when you go. . .” he doesn’t want to say psych ward out loud.

“Tomorrow. . .”

“Tomorrow?” he’s surprised.

She looks down and nods.

“That means today is the last day I’ll see you, they won’t let me visit you there.”

“I know,” she’s hurt.

He’s also hurt, “you really don’t know how long it’s going to be?”

“No, they won’t tell me. . . But hopefully it won’t be long.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Late night update? Why the hell not.

Closer to the end!