‹ Prequel: Never Alone
Sequel: Stay
Status: Completed.

The Space Between

There was a fire

"John?!" Jenna yelled and it didn't take long for her to hear foot steps on the hardwood floor heading to the room she was in.

"Yes my love?" He responded coolly, looking down at the girl who was sitting on the floor in their bedroom. She glared at him and he tried not to laugh at her serious expression.

"It's not funny! What am I going to do?!"

"Looks like you will be going shopping for me and you."

She rolled her eyes as she looked at the clothes that were all now a weird red color because she accidently washed a red shirt with their white ones.

She sighed as a frown hit her lips. She had attempted to do laundry, which clearly wasn't her strong point.

John chuckled and walked over sitting beside her indian style.

"Baby, it's ok. Really." He spoke as he rubbed her back.

Yes, he found it amusing but he loved her too much to even be remotely mad at her.

"I'll proudly wear my pink v-neck." He teased holding one up and she whined before dramatically falling into the floor. He grinned and hovered over her, "It's honestly ok, babe." He whispered brushing her dark hair back as he took in her bright eyes.

"You're girlfriend sucks." She mumbled and he laughed, "She does not. She's amazing."

"She can't cook or wash clothes."

"So what? you aren't going to be a homemaker any time soon. I can live with that."

She rolled her eyes and he kissed her cheek, "I love you. Just, you know, let me wash clothes from now on."

She whined and covered her face causing him to fight back a laugh. She was too cute for her own good.

He gently pulled her hands from her face and kissed her lips, "It's really ok, ladybug."

She let out a sigh and he smiled down at her. A year had passed since they had officially gotten together and a lot had taken place that even he was surprised about. Like for instance, the two of them moving in together.

That alone was a big step and it scared him to death. Not because he didn't love her enough, but because he really couldn't tell if she was ready or not and that bothered him. Yes, she had agreed to it, but that meant nothing to him. Luckily a month into it he had settled his fears and she honestly seemed to be enjoying living with him which was something that made him happy.

"I'm still sad." She mumbled and he laughed, "Don't be. Shit happens." He responded pulling her from the floor.

"I'll go shopping with you. Seeing as how I now need new socks and shirts." He added.

She frowned once more and he pulled her closer to kiss her.

"It's ok." He cooed kissing her once more, "Get dressed."

She nodded and he flashed her a smile before walking to the closet to grab his shoes.

"Oh, hey baby?" He called out and she met him at the closet door, "Yeah?"

"I meant to ask you. What's in this box? Because I was moving shit to the attic." He asked as he rummaged through the shirts for one he found good enough to put on.

"Oh um, just a bunch of pictures and some of Eric's things." She said softly trying to not make it so awkward as it felt.

"Ok. Do you want me to move it to the attic?" He asked looking at her and she shook her head no, "I'll move it to the spare room. I don't want the pictures to ruin in the heat."

He simply nodded not really finding it too much to look into as he sat on the bed to tie his shoes. Jenna sighed as her eyes moved to the box knowing what it contained. Her past. The love of her life. Memories. Things she would never get back.

Don't get her wrong, she was over Eric, well in a sense of moving on, but it still stung when she thought about it and she couldn't lie and say every decision she made with John wasn't based on that because it was.

She had never lived with Eric. Yes, they had spent days at a time together, but as far as having their own home it never got to reach that level. Although they had began talking about it a lot more before his passing. For some reason though Jenna couldn't help but feel like she was betraying him in a sense. She knew he would want her happy, but she really was torn emotionally over it. Then again, it had been almost two years since he passed. Why was he still such a big part of her decisions?

She shook her head and quickly changed into presentable clothing before meeting John at the door.

"You ok ladybug?" He asked with a raised eyebrow and she nodded as she grabbed his hand to confirm it. He smiled and held her hand to the car.

"Do you care if the guys come over tonight?" John asked after several minutes of silence on the drive there.

"John, how many times do I have to tell you that you don't have to ask?"

"Yeah, but I'd rather tell you then you be taken off guard."

"Then just tell me."

He rolled his eyes, "Fine. Jenna, the guys are coming over tonight."

"Great. Thanks for letting me know." She responded sarcastically and he shook his head with a chuckle, "Yu are not a normal girl I tell you."

"I don't recall ever saying I was, John Oh."

He smiled as he glanced over at the girl, "True."

She let out a laugh and he linked their hands, "You're something else I tell you."

She gave him a grin and he smiled as he tapped his free hand against the steering wheel waiting for the light to turn green.

"Want your hand back?" She asked and he let out a laugh, "Nope." He responded giving her hand a light squeeze. He had no problem holding her hand. He liked the feeling of it in his and the closeness he felt with her.

"I mean, that way you can play your steering wheel drums and drive. I don't want my life to be at risk." She teased and he chuckled, "Oh man, you are on a roll today!"

She giggled and he shook his head with a smile as he found a parking spot. The pair got out and he grabbed her hand back up as they met around the car.

"Is this dangerous to?" He joked playing her little game of teasing.

Jenna immediately shrugged, "Knowing you, possibly."

"Ha, ha." He mocked and she raised up to kiss his cheek.

"I love you." She whispered and he grinned, "Love you too, baby."

"I love you more." She challenged.

"Ha! Ok now you're really getting ridiculous." He said holding open the door for her with a smile.

"Whatever."

"Come on silly girl let's get what we need to get." He said pulling her through the store. It wasn't long after arriving that they made it back to their house with more things then intended. Of course that always happened when they went shopping together. John was an impulsive buyer and Jenna got whatever she wanted because he couldn't say no. It's just how it went.

"Now tell me how this is fair..." John finally said as he sat their bags of things on the couch.

Jenna looked over at him as he smiled, "You ruin the clothes and yet I buy the new ones. Doesn't make sense to me."

"Yes it does. One, you're the man of the house and two, well you already knew how bad I was at washing clothes so..."

"Oh so it's my fault?" He asked laughing.

She nodded and he crossed his arms with a smirk, "Bullshit."

She smiled and threw her arms around her neck, "Well, like you said, shit happens."

"And you use my words against me." He added and she chukled before kissing his lips, "I love you."

"Mhm. So you say and yet you ruin my clothes and spend my money. Trying to get rid of me?" He teased as he placed his arms around her waist.

"Never, ever." She responded and he kissed her forehead, "You're so short." He spoke randomly.

She frowned up at him and he leaned down kissing her lips.

"Sorry I'm not six foot something like you."

He let out a laugh, "Don't be. I like you little."

She rolled her eyes and someone knocked on the door interrupting their little moment which was something he honestly loved having with her.

"Guess I'll go put our stuff up."

"Can you do that alone baby?" He joked with a smirk.

"I hate you." She mumbled grabbing up the bags and he laughed as he went to open the door.

Yeah, he wasn't going to say they were perfect. They occasionally had their arguments and got on each others nerves just like any other couple, but he definitely knew he wouldn't have it any other way. He had spent too many years dreaming of being with her and now that he had her he wasn't going to throw it away. He loved her and no matter what he would face whatever lied ahead; the good, the bad and the ugly.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, this is the first sequel I've EVER done...bit nervous about this, but let's just take this one chapter at a time and see where it goes! :)