‹ Prequel: Never Alone
Sequel: Stay
Status: Completed.

The Space Between

And you'll be the reason.

John finally placed everything back in the box and slid it into the closet. Was she and Kelsey looking at these? He really didn't know, but it really bothered him if so. He really didn't want anyone else to be team Eric although there was no point.

He climbed back onto the bed focusing on his laptop. Trying to rid his mind of his thoughts. He scrolled through the Maine's website reading comments on a few entries they had written. That always made him feel better. He eventually ended up staring at the picture of Jenna who was his background on his computer. He knew his insecurities were going to end up ruining what they had if he didn't get them under control. She loved him. He knew that and it should be enough for him, but it wasn't and he didn't know why.

"Hey you ok?" He heard and looked over to see a half asleep Jenna in the door way.

"Oh yeah..." He whispered shutting the laptop and she nodded as he looked her up and down. She had apparently woke up and changed before hand because she was now in only one of his t-shirts that covered her whole frame. A grin hit his lips at the sight of how cute she was and he ushered her over disregarding his previous thoughts. She slowly walked over and he pulled her on top of him. The darkness of the room now making him a bit tired.

"Why are you up baby girl?" He whispered stroking her hair as she laid against his chest.

"You werent there." She mumbled and he wrapped his arm around her.

"I wasnt far, love."

"I know, but its hard to sleep when you're not in bed."

He ran his hand up and down her bare thigh as she wrapped her arms around his torso. Her face still against his chest.

"Want me to go lay with you?" He whispered and she nodded, "Come to bed. Aren't you tired? It's 2 in the morning." She responded her breath hitting his neck and he shivered.

"Yeah..." He managed to get out. She relaxed against his chest and he stroked her hair, "Let's just sleep in here."

She didn't bother to object and he laid her down, pressing his lips to hers, "I love you."

"I love you too." She whispered and he moved from the bed to remove his pants and shirt before crawling under the cover with the girl and drifting to sleep.

The next morning he woke up with her against him and he smiled before pecking her cheek and sliding from the bed. He pulled on his jeans before heading to the living room. His cell phone lied on the table and he grabbed it up to see a million messages from Kennedy and Jared. He grew concerned by the context and quickly dialed Kennedy's number. The boy picked up within seconds.

"What happened?" John asked quickly ad Kennedy sighed, "Where's Jenna?"

"Asleep. Why?"

Kennedy sighed, "Garrett's dumbass is in the hospital."

"What?!" He shouted and Kennedy shushed him, "It's not a big deal! He fell and broke his arm and they kept him to make sure he didn't have a concussion."

"Fuck. Jenna is going to flip."

"Dude. Don't tell her."

"Yeah right!"

He sighed, "Ok, well good luck with that."

The boy said goodbye before running his hand down his face with a sigh. This was exactly what he wanted to do first thing in the morning.

"Why are you yelling?" He heard and spun around to see Jenna.

"Nothing serious, but um, Kennedy called and said, ok Jen don't freak it's not a big deal, Garrett's in the hospital because he fell and broke his arm and they kept him to make sure he didn't have a concussion but he's fine!" He said quickly and her face fell as her throat tightened up.

"Jenna, he's ok." He added trying to calm her knowing she was going to be upset. She didn't do well with anything along the lines of someone being in a hospital ever since Eric and it being her brother made her panic even if he was ok.

She quickly spun around and fled up the stairs causing him to sigh and follow her in a hurry

"Jenna..." he cooed as she grabbed her things and rushed to the bathroom.

"Baby calm the fuck down!" He said louder and she stopped what she was doing.

"He's fine ok? Nothing is wrong. So stop freaking out. He's ok."

"I just need to see him for myself."

He brought his hand to her cheek, "Ok, we will go. No rush. I think Kennedy's going to pick him up and take him home anyways."

She nodded letting out a sigh trying to calm herself.

"Just calm down baby." He whispered before pressing his lips to her forehead.

"I am." She mumbled as she sat on the side of the tub.

He leaned over her and turned the water on for her.

"I just don't like hearing that." She spoke and he kissed her lips, "I know, but this time everything is really ok. I promise."

She nodded and he pulled her up gently, "Shower. I'll call Ken to see when they'll be home."

"Ok."

He pecked her lips one more and gave her a grin, "You ok now?"

She nodded, "Yeah. Sorry."

"Don't be. See you in a minute ladybug." He responded before leaving the bathroom. Once the pair was ready they made their way to Garrett's and Jenna didn't waste anytime sprinting into the house. Garrett looked at her like she was crazy as she threw herself at him.

"Garrett." She mumbled into his shirt as she clung to him.

"I'm ok, Jenna." He responded glancing at John who chuckled softly.

"Scared me."

"I know. Kennedy shouldn't have even told John."

"I would kicking someone's ass." She grumbledand John laughed sitting down as Garrett rolled his eys, "I knew you'd over react."

"It isn't over reacting when you could be hurt!"

"I know! But I'm fine!"

She shrugged as she moved beside him.

"Maybe you should stop getting shit faced."

Garrett groaned and John chuckled at the pair.

"And the worrying ends and here comes the lecture! Go home, Jen. I'm fine. I really just want to go to sleep."

She rolled her eyes and got up from the couch. He honestly appreciated her worrying about him, but it still drove him mad.

He sighed slowly getting up from the couch and pulled her into a hug with his good arm, "I'm fine. No worries. I love you."

"Love you too." She mumbled and he gave her a grin before retreating to his room.

"Come on Ladybug. Lets let him sleep." John stated grabbing up her hand. She allowed him to pull her to the car and she honestly felt relief knowing he was perfectly ok. She just had to see it to believe it.

"See baby nothing to worry about." John said rubbing her knee as he drove him.

"Just scared me. He's my life." She said softly and he gave her knee a squeeze, "I know."

Once back at home John fell onto the couch with a sigh as Jenna headed upstairs. He watched her curiously before turning on the television. She eventually joined him, cuddling into his side gently.

"What's wrong baby?" He asked stroking her hair gently.

"Nothing." She mumbled into his shirt and he kissed her head before shifting enough to lay down with her.

"I love you." She said softly and he pulled her to his chest, "I love you more, baby girl."

She shut her eyes as she relaxed against him and he played with her hir as he pretended to watch the show.

"You gonna be ok when I'm gone?" He asked softly. The thought of her being alone nerved him. He didn't want her to worry herself to death. Then again, maybe he was the one worried. He had never left her alone for months and he really didn't know how he would handle it himself. Maybe he would be the one worrying himself to death.

"Yeah." She whispered looking up at him and he brushed his fingers into her hair, "I don't think I'm going to be." He responded honestly.

She grinned, "You will be."

He sighed, "I don't know, I've never been months without you. Even when you weren't mine." He mumbled realizing that was true which made him feel even worse.

"That's true, huh?" She responded and he nodded, "Yeah..."

"We will be fine." She added and he nodded once more. When did the rolls reverse? He felt as if he was the one broken, not her anymore.

"Come visit me?" He asked and she nodded instantly, "Of course."

He grinned and pulled her closer as he shut his eyes. He wanted her to visit for his sanity but what if it wasn't what she invisioned? He remembered what it was like when she came out to visit Eric. How the pair seemed to both be anxious. Would she be that way to see him?

"Eric, settle the fuck down." John groaned as the boy continued to pace the small walk way on the bus.

"I can't. Jenna will be here soon and fuck...I miss her so much." He grumbled tugging on his hair and immediately regretting it because unlike usual, he actually fixed it.

"It's only been a month..."

"A month. 4 weeks. 30 days. John, she's my girlfriend not a friend. When you go from seeing someone every day for months and then out of no where are miles away, yeah it takes its toll on you."

John rolled his eyes as the sound of a car pulling up made Eric come to a stop. John snickered at his anxious friend.

"Oh god. I can't breathe."

"You fucking know her!"

"You just don't get it! Just wait. One day you'll see!" Eric said pointing a finger at him and the bus door open causing John to look over as Jenna walked on. If eric smiled any wider he thought his teeth would fall out.

"Jenna..." The boy breathed out as she dropped her bags and didn't bother to say a word as she ran to him throwing her arms around his neck.

"I've missed you so much, baby." He said urgently as he kissed all over her face and lips causing her to giggle.

John made a face at Nick who was sitting across from him at the table and the blonde boy laughed before looking back at his laptop. Clearly he was use to their affection.

"Gross." Garrett stated as he stepped onto the now crowding bus. John eyed the couple who whispered to each other and held each other as if they hadnt seen each other in years.


John didn't understand how love could make you feel that way. Now though, it was different. Completely different. He now understood how nervous Eric got when he got to see her after days without her or how he couldn't stop smiling when he thought of her. Yes, he was certain love was what made him that way and it was also making him worry beyond belief.
♠ ♠ ♠
John's just working himself up, don't you think? I wish I could tell you what is to come! But, I mean, I can't ruin the story... ;)

Thanks for commenting;
Lovelyhope
Dhfadhfa
Just breathe
MedicatedDreams
:)