‹ Prequel: Never Alone
Sequel: Stay
Status: Completed.

The Space Between

I'll be the rhyme.

"Happy birthday my love." John said and the girl giggled as she sat at the table where John had made her breakfast. A grin hit his lips as he sat across from her watching as she sipped on the orange juice he had poured for her.

"Feel any older?" He teased and she laughed, "Nope."

He chuckled and leaned back in his seat causing her eyes to land on him, "Not eating?"

"Nah, I cooked which means I ate what I made so..."

She laughed, "Surprise, surprise."

He let out a laugh as he relaxed his clasped hands on the table.

"So, is this your surprise, John Oh?" She asked between bites of toast.

He shook his head no with a grin and she groaned, "John..."

"What?! You're my girlfriend can I not have one day a year?!"

"To be mean?!"

"No! Look, can you just let me spoil you without such a fuss?!"

She let out a sigh as she sat her half eaten toast down not daring to say another word.

"Baby..." He smirked trying not to laugh at her behavior, "relax. I told you it would just be us. I meant it."

"Fine..." She grumbled out and he moved from his seat, "Now finish eating and go get dressed please?"

She shrugged and he leaned down and pressed his lips to her cheek before leaving her be. He walked happily to his room to finish getting dressed himself and once he was done he heard clanking of dishes on his way down.

"Jenna Nickelsen! I know you are not cleaning up my mess."

"No?" She responded innocently and he rolled his eyes as he stepped into the kitchen, "Liar. Go."

"Sorry! Jeez."

He chuckled grabbing her waist and pulling her in, "You need to be nicer today."

"It's my birthday I'll be mean if I want to."

He chuckled before kissing her lips, "Go get dressed."

She kissed him once more before sprinting off and he decided to clean up the disaster he had made for her. By the time he was done and went to sit on the couch Jenna came down the stairs ready to go.

"Mhm. Quicker than I assumed."

"Or maybe your mess was bigger than you assumed." She challenged and he laughed, "Right. That wouldn't be hard to believe."

He held out his hand for her and she gently grabbed a hold of it.

"Come on ladybug. I've got tons planned." He spoke puling her out to the car. He knew soon he wouldn't be able to even spend an hour with her so he wanted to make sure this was perfect.

"Can we go get Pat?" She asked and he groaned, "Seriously?!"

She laughed and he held the door open for her, "Well, he may be at Garrett's. I swore we would stop by because he wants to see you."

"Ok!"

The boy shook his head as he climbed into the car himself, "I swear, I can't get you to even agree to go somewhere without me, but throw Pat in the mix and it's a different story."

"He's fun!"

"And I'm not?!"

"He's fun and safe!"

"What does that mean?!" John asked laughing and she chuckled, "Go to Garrett's!"

The pair laughed and shared small talk until they arrived at Garrett's and John had to chase after the girl as she walked to the door. Jenna didn't bother to knock, she just walked in yelling that she was there. Of course Garrett was sitting on the couch still nursing his arm.

"Must you always do that?" He asked in a calm manner causing John to laugh and make his way inside.

"Yep." She responded falling onto the couch.

"Happy birthday."

"Thanks."

"I invited Pat over who invited Jared who assumed Kennedy and Kelsey were invited so I'm sorry they are all on their way."

Jenna laughed, "It's ok."

"What?!" John yelled from the couch and Jenna looked over at him, "What?"

"So it ok if he does it?!"

"He told me! You'd surprise me and I hate surprises!"

John rolled his eyes as Garrett laughed, "Well it does make sense."

John shrugged and crossed his arms as the front door busted open.

"Happy birthday!" Pat shouted running over and scooping the girl up as she laughed, "Thanks Pat."

"I've got you something!" Kelsey said excitedly and Kennedy rolled his eyes, "No, we got you something. Luckily, I like to admit I know you better and if it was up to her she would have gotten you some fru-fru shit you wouldn't even want!"

"Oh shut up." Kelsey said smacking the boys chest causing Jenna to giggle, "Thanks Ken." She responded as she hugged him quickly.

"Jar..." She responded holding her hand out and the red headed boy laugh as they did their hand shake. Garrett shook his head as he got up from the couch, "Anyways, let me go get your gift."

"Yeah can we hurry this shit up." John grumbled and Garrett rolled his eyes, "Look, when she opens my gift she isn't going to want to spend time with you anyways."

John glared at him as he sprinted up the stairs and Kelsey made her open the gift she had gotten her. John leaned back in his seat as she thanked the couple right as Garrett yelled for Jenna. The girl mumbled something under her breath as she quickly sprinted up the stairs in order to find her brother. She quickly found him in his room and she gave him a weird look, "What?"

"So two things I can't carry because I have one hand. I didn't think about it."

She chuckled, "Oh of course." She responded sitting on the bed beside him.

"This one first." He spoke sliding one of the boxes to her. She smiled as she opened the rather small square only to see a small piece of paper inside. She looked at him confused and he urged her to pick it up. Once she read over it she gasped and shot a look at the boy.

"Garrett! Why would you do that?!"

He grinned instantly, "Jen, I want you to have no reason not to finish school. What better way then to pay for the last semester?"

"I cannot believe you did this." She said and he shrugged, "You're my baby sister, Jen. There is not much I wouldn't do for you regardless of what you think."

She threw her arms around the boy causing him to groan as she hugged him tightly.

"You're the best brother ever." She mumbled into his shirt and he scoffed, "Yeah. Wait until I tell Trey you said that."

She chuckled and forced herself away from him with watery eyes. She didn't know why she was so sensitive now.

"Last one." He said sliding a rather big box towards her.

She breathed in and lifted the lid off and her eyes came in contact with a photo album. She looked up at him and he grinned, "You need to start new memories don't you think? Mom helped me, so don't think I went complete girl on this shit."

Jenna laughed as she pulled out the album and opened it to see pictures already inside.

"Thnks Gar. I love it." She said sincerely as she flipped through pictures of the tour they went on together.

"I knew you would. Most of those pictures John gave me from his camera, but the others well are crazy..." He said poting to a picture of Pat making a weird face.

She giggled and looked up at him, "I love it. Seriously."

He grinned, "Yep. I know. Best gifts ever. Top that John!" He shouted the last part as they made their way out of his room. Jenna laughed as they reached the living room and John glared at Garrett.

"What?"

John shook his head as the girl resumed her seat as Kelsey looked through her photo album.

"Hey remember that year Eric made her a cake for her birthday?" Jared asked causing the group to laugh.

"Awe don't make fun of him! It was..."

"A mess." Garrett cut her off and she laughed, "It's the thought that counts."

"It tasted horrible." Pat chimed in and Kelsey laughed, "Did he like bake it and all?"

"Yes! When he got an idea he stuck through it even though 95% of the time they were ridiculous ideas." Kennedy stated chuckling.

"Eric, seriously? Who the fuck is going to eat that?" John asked watching the boy put icing on the cake as he focused on the task with his tongue slightly stuck out of his mouth.

"Not you!" Eric defended and John chuckled, "And she will?"

"Yes! She loves me!"

"You're sounding like a girl, man."

Eric shot him a look and John couldn't even take him serious with the cake mix that was now in his hair.

"Dude, you look ridiculous." He got out through his laughter and Eric shrugged, "Hater."

"Right, well I'm going to head out. Don't be late bringing her to dinner." John warned and Eric nodded, "I won't dude. She's coming over in like 30 minutes."

"Then you need to focus on showering or some shit not icing this unleveled disaster."

"Leave." Eric grumbled and John laughed his way out. Eric really didn't care if people teased him. He did what he wanted no matter what. It just how he was. He did however manage to get cleaned up a bit before Jenna arrived which wasn't as long as he assumed.

"Why does it smell like a bakery in here?" Jenna asked as she walked inside and Eric laughed, "Ok, you have to see what I made you." He responded grabbing up her hand and leading her to the kitchen.

"I'm nervous."

"Don't be! See, ta-da!" He said presenting the cake that was on the table and she chuckled, 'You made it?"

"Yes! Why do you say it like that?! I tried!" He said crossing his arms over his chest as he stuck his bottom lip out in a pout.

She chuckled and threw her arms around him, "No, just surprised is all."

"Whatever." He grumbled and she leaned up to kiss his lips, "I love it and you." She spoke and he quickly wrapped his arms around her waist.

"Happy birthday, sweetie." He whispered, "I did in fact get you a real gift."

"I have you that's enough." She said pressing her face against his chest and he chuckled, "Well, you'll always have me and I'm sure after a while it won't be enough."

She giggled as he pulled away with a smile grabbing up her hand quickly, "Come on, I'd rather give it to you here."

She nodded and he led her to the living room where he ordered her to sit down while he ran to his room. She waited a mere few seconds before he reappeared with something behind his back.

"Close your eyes."

She laughed but did as told and she felt him sit down as he placed a small box in her hands which made her immediately grow nervous.

"Ok." He spoke and her eyes shot open as she looked down at the ring box.

"Maybe it's silly, I don't know, but when I went to find you a gift I came upon this. It's a promise ring. Like I said, it may be cheesy, but I just..." Eric fumbled rubbing the back of his neck nervously as Jenna smiled. It was rare when Eric was tongue tied and when it happened she couldn't help but find it adorable.

"You know how I feel about you, Jenna. You mean everything to me and I just want you to always know that. Regardless of what happens or how far apart we are. I promise it will always, only be you. That is one thing you never have to worry about." He said seriously as he grasped her hand gently.

Jenna's eyes were now teary and she threw her arms around the boy instantly.

"Does that mean you are ok with it?"

"Yes. I love it and you." She mumbled into his shoulder and he chuckled, "Lucky me."

She laughed and pulled back to look at the boy, "I'm kidding. I'm glad you like it. I was pretty worried. You know me." He said with a grin as he cupped her face.

"You shouldn't have been."

"I know, but hey, this is good practice though."

"Practice for what?"

"For the next ring I get you, baby." He responded with a wink before grabbing her hand to place the ring on her finger. A smile lit the girl's face as butterflies filled her stomach. That was definitely a ring she would accept.


"He just baked her that cake because he couldn't buy a bottle of wine yet." Jared said causing Jenna to laugh, "Probably."

John sighed before looking over at Jenna. He was in a good mood this morning. He had everything planned and yet some how it had been derailed and there trip to Garrett's ended up in another talk about Eric.

"Can we please go?" He finally asked Jenna who nodded instantly as she grabbed up her gifts from everyone. She thanked them all and hugged each one before John helped her out to the car.

"I swear, nothing can ever go as planned around these guys." John said as they got in the car. He tried not to seem annoyed since it was her birthday, but it really got at him.

She grinned and leaned over in her seat to kiss his cheek which caused him to relax more than he was willing to admit.

"I'm yours for the rest of the day, O'Callaghan." She spoke with a smile as she relaxed back in her seat.

He grinned and grabbed a hold of her hand, "Just what I wanted to hear, ladybug." He responded, focusing back on the road. He was definitely going to make sure this topped any birthday with Eric. Then again, when did this become a competition?
♠ ♠ ♠
So...Thoughts? Predictions? Anything? :3

Thanks for the comments;
Lovelyhope
Book-of-me-and-you

You're awesome. :)