Broken

Chapter One

“You’ve been quiet tonight.” Tara’s best friend, Victoria, commented as she looked at her.

“Just thinking.” Tara’s voice was even and calm, throwing up the façade that everything was fine. Inside she felt like she was dying a little at a time. Most of the time she didn’t mind spending time with her four closest friends. Most of the time it didn’t bother her that they were paired off and she was alone. But tonight she felt like a fifth wheel and was ready to get away from the table for a while.

“About what? How you can make this place more successful? Because if you are, I’m begging you not to. This place has a great feel and I’d hate to see that ruined,” Derek said, taking a sip of his beer and tossing an arm around his girlfriend, Rachel.

“No, I was thinking about how I should have these booths reupholstered. I haven’t been able to do it since Grandpa passed away but I think its time. I’m going to get another beer. You guys want anything?”

“I’m good. Mine is still almost full,” Jason said, holding up his own beer.

“I’m still enjoying my soda. The designated driver can’t drink.” Victoria leaned up against Jason’s side, simply motioning at her glass.

Rachel and Derek didn’t bother to verbally answer the question. Instead they both just shook their heads no and then carried on with their conversation.

With a shrug, Tara headed for the bar. When she reached the bar she was surprised with how busy Dave, the bartender, already was. She hadn’t noticed how many people were in the booths and seated at the old wooden bar until now. Just as she sat down at one of the only two free stools, Dave noticed her and called over his shoulder, “I’ll be right there, boss.”

“No rush,” She said, running her fingers over the bar.

Needs to be refinished again, she thought.

Her thoughts were interrupted when someone took a seat next to her. She glanced at the figure next to her from the corner of her eye. She could tell that he was tall and he had dark hair and a goatee but that was it from the quick glance.

Suddenly the guy on her left, who had already been there when she sat down, turned towards her, his hand slapping against her arm in the process. Clearly drunk, he slurred, “Come here often?”

She looked over, recognizing him with one glance. He was a regular at the bar. He was a little loud when he was sober but not completely unruly, she knew that from helping behind the bar a few times when they were short handed and packed. Of course, her experience with him had also taught her that he was a sloppy drunk that had a bad habit of hitting on women and getting progressively louder after several drinks. “All the time,” She answered politely, thinking that maybe if she answered his question he would leave her alone, or maybe recognize her.

“Funny, I don’t remember you.”

“I don’t spend too much time sitting here.”

“I should remember someone like you,” his eyes traveled to her chest and she tensed up. She didn’t like throwing customers out unless they got out of hand and this was a guy that she’d never received any complaints about before. Now that his eyes were locked onto her body she couldn’t understand why no one had complained yet. “What do you say we find a more private spot? Or maybe head back to my house?” His hand ventured onto her leg, moving up to her thigh.

Tara was about to put him in his place when a deep voice interrupted. “I don’t remember the lady giving you an invitation to put your hands on her. I suggest you learn some manners and move your hand.”

“And what if I don’t wanna move it?” The drunk’s voice was angry now. Tara tensed even more, suddenly aware that this could get ugly in a heartbeat.

“I’ll make you move it.” Something about the man sitting to her right’s voice and the tone he used seemed to shake the drunk’s nerves up and he pulled his hand away.

The drunk shifted his attention to Dave, leaning forward and calling out, “Can I get another drink over here?”

Dave handed the two drinks he had just made to two women at the other end of the bar and approached the drunk. “No, you can’t. I think you’ve had enough pal. Now if you don’t have a driver then I’ll call you a cab but you aren’t getting anymore drinks tonight.” The drunk huffed a little but got up without protesting, walking towards the man he’d arrived with.

Dave turned his attention of Tara and the man seated to her right. “Let me get the people down there their drinks and I’ll be right back to get you guys whatever you want.”

“Take your time, Dave,” Tara said, standing up. “I told you, there is no rush.”

Dave walked away and she turned her attention to the man that had helped her out with the drunk. “Thank you, its been a long time since someone helped me out like that. What are you drinking? Your next one is on me.”

“No problem. Thanks but I can get it.”

“You’re going to have to tell me what you are drinking. I’ll be right back.” Tara disappeared, heading for the employees only door to the right of the bar. She reappeared less than a minute later, behind the bar. She leaned against the sturdy wood right across from the guy.

Now that she could see his face better she was able to get many more details. His eyes were hazel and she could swear her heart skipped a beat when she saw the surprise in them as she stood before him. “So are you going to tell me what you are drinking now?” She asked, a sweet smile on her face.

“Corona,” He answered simply.

She smiled again. “My kinda guy.” She grabbed two beers and sat them on the bar. “That and everything else you’ve had tonight is on the house.”

“That’s really not necessary.”

“Hey, after you helped me out with that guy it’s the least I can do.”

“So you work here?”

“You could say that. Do you plan on staying here at the bar?”

“Its either that or go back with my friends and be the third wheel. Right here sounds pretty good in comparison to that.”

“Well I think I’ll join you then if you don’t mind.”

“I’d like that.”

“Give me just a minute then.” Tara made sure that Dave had things under control before she retorted to the other side of the bar. Taking her seat, she said, “I didn’t get your name yet.”

He stuck out a hand. “Martin.”

She shook his hand. “Tara.”

“So are you here by yourself?” He asked, taking a drink from the bottle.

“No, I came with a few of my friends. But they are couples so I felt like I was just a fifth wheel. I had to get away for a little while.” Tara couldn’t help but get the nagging feeling that she knew this guy from somewhere but she couldn’t place it.

“Oh I know that feeling, all too well.” He chuckled.

The pair spent the next hour and a half covering a variety of topics. When they finally decided it was time to part was when both of their friends started motioning them back to their booths.

“I better go. I don’t want to miss my ride home,” Tara said, standing up.

“Can I at least get your phone number and last name?” He asked, also standing up.

“Of course. Give me your phone and I’ll give you my number. And my last name is Watts.” She punched her number into his phone and handed it back to him. “I didn’t catch your full name.”

He took his phone and replaced it in his pocket. “Thanks. And its Martin Truex Jr.”

“Well it was nice to meet you.”

“You too.”

It was several minutes later, just as she was about to climb in Victoria’s car, when it hit Tara where she knew the man from. The first thought that ran through her mind was, How did I not realize?