Status: Ideas come in spurts. Slow...

One Day, Robots Will Cry

Get It Together

For the second time that day, William and Gabe sat in the office. Gabe was staring at the ceiling, he had blood coming from his nose. William was looking at his hands that were folded in his lap. They hadn't said anything to each other on the trip down the halls with the vice principal escorting them.

"I forgive you," William said quietly.

Gabe looked back at him, "Thanks..."

"Yeah, um...let's just wipe the slate clean. I freaked out way too much," William said.

"Oh my God, please don't even find some way to twist it into your fault," Gabe said covering his face with his hands.

"Okay, it's still your fault," William said, "but, I'm not holding it against you."

"Yeah, thanks, after you broke my nose," Gabe said, with a hint of a smile.

William crossed his arms, "You deserved it."

"William, Mrs. Jones is ready to see you. We've called your mother," one of the secretaries said.

"My mom," William said quietly, stepping into the office. Of course, they hadn't changed his contact number.

"Yes, we called your mother," Mrs. Jones the principal said looking extremely unhappy.

William furrowed his eyebrows, "Not my step-mom..."

"No," Mrs. Jones spat, "Sit down."

Taking a seat, William sighed with relief.

"You've been suspended for ten days. Your mother refused to come down to the school and said for you to go ahead and drive home," she looked disgusted, "you do understand putting your hands on another student in any way is not accepted in school," she said.

"Yes, I don't know what came over me."

"You'll have plenty of time to think about it at home, and when you return to school, you'll have in-school suspension for 3 days," she said, "Go get your things from your locker and report to the office and sign yourself out."

William shut the door behind him and sighed with relief.

"Gimme a ride home?" Gabe muttered.

"Yeah, come find my car after you're done," William said.

------

William piled his books in the back seat with his guitar. He stood outside of the car with his arms crossed. In the distance, he saw Gabe exiting the school.

Yeah, Gabe hurt him. But, he wasn't about to give up. Not now, this early in the game.

Approaching the car, Gabe grinned.

"What's the grin all about?" William said.

"They couldn't get a hold of my dad," Gabe said, "I called my brother and told him what happened and to cover for me."

"So, exactly what are you going to be doing while you're suspended?" William said.

"Sleeping, duh," Gabe said climbing into the passenger's seat.

"Hold on a second, you have blood all under your nose, it's pretty gross," William said leaning over Gabe and pulling napkins out of his glove box.

"Gee, I wonder how that happened..." Gabe said sarcastically.

William started to the car, "Your dad won't notice you haven't left?"

"My dad works literally all day. Eleven hours, six to five," Gabe said, "He won't know the difference."

William nodded, "I just don't know what I'm going to do."

"Come over to my house," Gabe said.

"I'm not sure if that's going to work," William said flatly.

"Sure it will," Gabe said, "just leave like your going to school, and come to my house. Leave when school's over."

William thought about it. Surely, this plan would work during the day, because it didn't matter where he went, as long as it looked like he was going to school. It was genius, but could he really put up with Gabe for eight hours everyday after this? "Fine," William said.

Gabe came with him to his mother's house.

"Hi guys," William's mother said, "so what happened?"

William began, "Um, basically, I tackled Gabe and--"

"Punched me in the face like a dozen times," Gabe interrupted, "then, I told him to quit and he did. They suspended us for like two weeks."

"Oh, well, at least you don't have to get up at 6 A.M.," William's mother said shrugging.

"That's what I said," Gabe shrugged.

"I suppose I'm off to take him home though, I just thought I would fill you in on all that," William said.

"Okay," she shrugged, "if you need to come over here, go ahead. Otherwise, I'll see you Saturday."

Gabe closed the door behind him, "She was pretty relaxed about it."

"Eh, that's just her. She doesn't really care what I do as long as it doesn't get her in trouble," William said starting the car, "I'm just glad my step-dad wasn't there."

"He would've thrown a bitch fit."

"To put it lightly," William said.

Gabe nodded, "I'm SO glad that my dad doesn't know. He would kill me."

"Yeah, my dad would likely kill me too. I can't believe my contact number is still my mom's house. Talk about lucky," William said.

Soon enough, they pulled up at Gabe's.

"Come in," Gabe said, "it's like too early for you to go on home."

William got out of the car and followed Gabe up the walkway to his house. The two sat down on the couch.

"I'm sorry I broke your nose," William said.

"I don't think it's really broken..." Gabe replied.

"Let me get you some ice for your face," William said snickering.

"You think it's funny?" Gabe said.

William shrugged, " A little bit. I didn't know I had it in me."

Gabe rolled his eyes, "Yeah, go get me some fucking ice."

"Okay," William said smiling. He turned down the hall to the kitchen and opened the freezer.

"Why don't you grab something to eat too, I'm starving," Gabe said.

William poked his head around the corner glaring at Gabe, "Get it yourself."

"You're up..." Gabe grinned.

"Fuck you," William said carrying a dishtowel with ice in it. He dropped it on Gabe's lap.

"Ah, gees!" Gabe exclaimed, "watch it!" He picked up the bundle of ice and put it to the right side of his face, mostly against his nose. "I swear to God, if you broke my nose I'm going to break yours."

"It looks fine, a little bloody and swollen but fine," William said.

Gabe sighed, "Did you have to punch me in the face?"

"Yeah, maybe if I screw up your face all those girls won't want to fuck you anyway," William said.

"Oh, come on..." Gabe said quietly.

"I was only kidding, I can joke about it now," William said.

Gabe rolled his eyes, "Yeah, well, I don't need reminded how bad I hurt you."

"Maybe you do, then you won't do it again..." William added.

"I kissed you in front of the whole class, what do you want?" Gabe said.

William shrugged, "Just a little more convincing, maybe."

"Fine then, call me your boyfriend if you--"

"No, I don't want a boyfriend," William interrupted, "I want to know how much you care first and to know your not interested in anyone else. In any way."

"You're so fucking complicated," Gabe said, "you're just like a girl."

William crossed his arms, "Don't say that."

"What?"

"I'm trying to help you out," William said.

Gabe sighed, "Okay fine, I'll be the girl. Whatever you want."

William sighed.

"Seriously, William, I messed up. I apologized," Gabe started, "You broke my nose, then forgave me. I kissed you in class, offered you my house, and told you how much I cared about you. I offered to be your boyfriend and even said I would be the girl. What more do you want? Really?"

"You're so fucking ignorant!" William exclaimed.

"Why are you acting like this?" Gabe questioned.

"You are not listening to me," William said, "we need to give this time and see what happens. I want to know how much you care."

"I would kiss you but, my lip is swollen," Gabe said.

William smiled a little. He leaned over and kissed the left side of Gabe's cheek, close to his mouth. He lied down on Gabe's lap and stared at the ceiling.

It was like any ounce of affection that Gabe had shown him in the past disappeared from his mind, and all he could think about was what he did to hurt him. It was so hard to be upset with him when he was right there. He loved everything about Gabe...

Gabe ran his free hand through William's hair.
♠ ♠ ♠
Should William have even forgiven Gabe?

Opinions, comments? (: