Young Severus

Before Dark

In the next few weeks I stole books to show her and she began to believe me “Lily look” I said as she turned to face me and I pulled a leaf from the tree at the waters edge and held it tight before opening my hand and a pink butterfly flew out, “Wow! How?” “Mum taught me,” I admitted “Will she teach me?” she asked “Just concentrate really hard” I instructed and she tried.

We spent all day trying and he couldn’t get it right, “I think that you lied to me!” “No I didn’t” I reassured, “Well if I’m really a with why won’t it work for me?” “You have to try really hard,” I said and she grabbed a leaf almost crushing it before glaring at her hand angrily. If I were the leaf I’d have flown away! I heard her scream and looked to see a bright green butterfly flutter from her hand “I told you” I said and she beamed at me before hugging me “I did it Sev!” she exclaimed and I smiled as she said my name.

I saw the sky darkening and I panicked “I have to go, dad said I have to be home before it’s dark. I have to go before he notices. Sorry” I explained “Oh okay, see you tomorrow!” she shouted as I took off at a run. I reached the house running in “About time too!” I heard him shout and I froze “Severus get in here” he ordered and I did as I was told, “I said before dark and yet it’s dark and you’re just in” “Give the boy a break, it’s only just getting dark. He’ run home to be back” mum cut in.

“I said before dark!” “S-Sorry dad, I-I was just…” I trailed off “I don’t care! You never listen do you?” he growled. “You’re scaring him, Severus go to your room and I’ll be up to hear that story,” my mum stated and I raced off. I heard shouting and slamming before mum came upstairs “So I have to read mum?” I asked, “Yes” “But I’ve read this hundred’s of times, I know it by heart. It’s not reading if I know it,” I explained.

“Severus just read to me” “But why?” I asked “Because I’m your mother, because if you can’t read you’ll get picked on, because I said you were to read to me” she listed. I sighed opening the book “Fine! A long time ago in a far-off land, there lived a foolish king who decided that he alone should have the power of magic” I read as she watched me “Good boy, keep going” she encouraged and I rolled my eyes following my singer as I read.

I finished “Mum can I take this to read to my friend?” I asked “This friend, is it the witch girl?” I nodded “I taught her the leaf thing, she can do it! That means she can go to Hogwarts right?” “If she gets a letter Severus” mum smiled and I nodded. “Come on it’s time to eat” “Where’s dad?” I said as we got downstairs. “He’s had to go to work, it’s just us tonight” she replied.