Young Severus

That Word

The next day dad banned me from going out because I’d been late but a week later he’d got something else to be angry with and I was allowed to go out, I stuffed the book in my pocket and walked to the old tree in the meadow to see Lily playing with the leaves “Sev, where’ve you been, I thought you were mad at me” she mumbled “No, my dad just got mat at me for being late that night” I admitted and she nodded.

“I brought this, it’s a book that my mum gave me” I explained “The Tales of Bee-Beedle The Bard” she read and I nodded as she lad down. “Read it to me” she stated and I laid down too “The Wizard And The Hopping Pot. There was once a kindly old wizard who used his magic gen-gener-generously and wisely or the b-benefit of his neigh-bours” I stumbled over words.

“They’re like fairytales” she said “Fairytales?” I asked “Yeah like Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella” she replied “Who?” “You’ve never heard of them?” she replied. “Nope, are they muggle things?” “My daddy reads them to me, well he sued to when I was younger” she admitted. “Tell me them” I stated ands he started to tell me the stories “Are they real?” “Nope, just stories” she said quietly.

I nodded slowly and she stared up at the sun “Severus!” a familiar voice shouted and I sat up to see my dad “What are you doing? Home. Now!” he ordered and I jumped up “Lily I have to go see you soon” I rushed grabbing the book and heading to my dad at a run. He dragged me home slamming the door “Hat are you doing?” he asked, “I-I was just…” “Who was that?” “Lily, my friend” I replied.

“Why have you got his?” “I was reading it to her” I answered not daring to look at him “What’s going on?” mum asked. “I found him with this and some girl!” dad shouted and I chewed my lip fidgeting, “I didn’t know there was a magical family new to the area” She’s not from a…” I was cut off as he slammed the book on the table. “You’ve been reading this book to a muggle girl?” he growled, “She’s witch, she does stuff by accident like me. She can make a leaf into a…” “She has muggle parents? You’ve been talking to a mudblood?” he asked and I looked up as my mum gasped.

“Don’t say that in front of…” “No! He’s been talking to a mudblood girl!” dad barked “W-what’s a m-mudblood?” I asked. “Some with dirty blood, she’s got no magical blood I her so she’s a mudblood!” he shouted before ranting about how disgusting they were, “Severus you are never to talk to that girl again! No son of mine will associate with mudbloods! No upstairs!” he ordered and I ran off crying.

I heard my dad storming about “You do not use that word in front of him! He’s a child” my mum argued, “I’ve got to go out!” he growled slamming the front door. I jumped as I heard my mum coming upstairs; she knocked on the door “Severus” “What?” I asked, “Can I talk to you?” I stayed quiet as she walked in.

“Severus don’t cry, come here” she said holding her hand out and I hugged her, “Severus you shouldn’t have…” Sorry mum, I just wanted to show her what it’s like to be a wizard she knows nothing about it” I cut in, “You shouldn’t have told your father she’ not from a wizard family and you are to never use that word he did. It’s a horrible word,” she stated.

“It doesn’t matter” “Yes it does! That girl could e a perfectly capable witch, your father has some very extreme views on muggleborns but it doesn’t mean he’s right” she explained. “I like her, she’s nice” “I know you like her Severus and that’s why you should never say that word, to her or anymore else” she warned and I nodded slowly.

“Can I call her a muggleborn?” “Yes but you mustn’t dwell on it!” she stated “Well it doesn’t matter dad said I wasn’t…” “Well I think on this very rare occasion you should ignore your fathers demand. If you like this girl then you can talk to her still but just don’t allow your father to find out! Don’t let him catch you with her Severus!” she warned and I nodded slowly.