Status: Enjoy and PLEASE COMMENT!!!!

Journey's Beginning

Bitter-Sweet Day

Rose Tyler thought she understood what the slim familiar man in the purple suit was saying but it all seemed so impossible. The human copy was offering her something very similar to the very thing she had wanted all along, similar but not exactly. The doctor, the real doctor, was the only one she could ever imagine growing old and spending her life with. This copy had one beating heart and one life to live, but was it the one she wanted to give her own heart and life to?

The one she loved with her entire soul turned and started walking back to the Tardis. So many emotions filled Rose at once that she felt as if she could explode. The Doctor was walking away to disappear forever, the forever they were supposed to spend together. Instead, he was leaving her with a human bodied copy of himself that looked and sounded exactly like him but could never really be the one she loved- the one that she hoped loved her in return.

Her mind suddenly raced to the day she had lost him, right here at Bad Wolf Bay. It was here that part of her died that day. It was here on the sand and underneath the gray sky that she first told him the three words that had been playing on her lips since just before he changed, regenerated, into this witty skinny bloke with epic hair. And it was here, somewhere between a few years and lifetimes ago, that he almost confessed the same three words to her. But then the image message faded along with all hopes of their happy ending. Losing him again was not an option.

So here they were again, same place with the same pure emotions flowing like fire and ice through their veins. This was her last chance to stop him, to keep him, and to fight for the only thing that meant everything to her. If she had the choice of talking her beloved doctor into staying or being stuck here with the look-alike, she knew without a doubt what she had to do next.

"But… it's still not right," Rose called out, fighting back tears while running towards him.

The Doctor turned towards her with eyes full of whatever pain and frustration he couldn't hide. If this was as difficult for him as it was for her, why couldn't things be different?

"The Doctors is still you," she stated. How could she ever care about this clone the way she cared about the Time Lord standing in front of her?

"And I'm him," he answered, looking behind her to his replica.

It was time to test the fraud. Rose wouldn't be able to live the rest of her life without making sure this was all real. If the human was exactlt the same as The Doctor, if they had the same mind and memories, only the two of them would know the answer to the one question she had been dying to ask. She was panicking now, so close to being left by the one and stuck with the other.

"Alright, both of you, answer me this."

Both Doctors glanced at eachother and stood at her side, prepared for anything. If answering her question would assure and make her happy, he was willing to do it. He was willing to do anything to give her the certainty and peace she deserved.

"When I last stood on this beach, on the worst day of my life," she looked over to the Time Lord. "what was the last thing you said to me?" He just stared silently at her with the brown eyes she loved. "Go on, say it!" she ordered in a shaky cracking voice.

If he could die, seeing her like this would have killed him right then and there. Rose, his brave wonderful Rose, was obviously terrified, something he always made sure she wasn't. She was confused and seemed lost. Of all the times he had saved the world, of all the deaths he had witnessed, of all the lost opportunities and friends, nothing felt as dark as this moment. He had to make her believe. He had to make her accept the only chance they had at being together, even if it wasn't in the body she had loved him in.

The Doctor took a breath, gathered himself, and answered, "I said 'Rose Tyler'".

As she looked at him, so many questions in those beautiful eyes, he couldn't help memorizing everything about her in this very moment. It wasn't as if he hadn't already memorized the lines in her face as she smiled, the colors in every strand of her hair now blowing in the wind, or even the pleading look in her eyes. He knew her, inside and out. Everything there was to know about her he already knew by heart. The Doctor knew everything about Rose except how she would react to what was about to happen. What would she do the second she realized what he had been trying to tell her? The young woman's pleading eyes grew more intense, begging him to reveal the words he had started so long ago.

"Yeah? And how was that sentence going to end?"

He started to say the phrase that constantly ran through his mind every second they were together and even when they were apart. But he couldn't bring himself to end whatever chance she had with his human form. The words coming from his lips, the Time Lord's lips, would do her much more harm than good. It wasn't the most clever thing he had ever said but it would do.

"Does it need saying?"

The expression of shock and betrayal on her beautiful face made it hard for him to breathe. When she didn't get the answer she wanted from him, she desperately searched the eyes of his human copy.

"And you, Doctor?"

If it was really the identical mind and memories inside this body as the other, he would know the answer. Her heart pounded in her chest as heavy pulsing thumped behind her warm ears. Time stood still for Rose Tyler. All the Time Lord could do was wait.

The human copy leaned in and gently took her arm as she repeated, "What was the end of that sentence?"

As the copy whispered the three words softly in her ear, the Time Lord did everything but close his eyes to calm the stinging tears fighting to roll down his pale cheek. Human him was saying the three words he had been wanting to tell her since the day of his lmost recent regeneration. All this time, he had been feeling every last bit of truth the three words could possibly possess. His human form whispered the words as the Time Lord said them in his head.

"I love you."

At first, she only stared at him. Both Doctors waited to see her reaction, praying for the best and hoping she would finally believe the sort of bitter-sweet magic that was taking place.

The Time Lord's two hearts sank heavily as Rose grabbed his human double and passionately kissed him. She had grabbed him by his jacket and pressed her lips tightly to his, letting him know just how deeply in love with him she had always and would always be. He couldn't begin to articulate how badly he wished to be in the simple mundane body of the one holding his girl, their girl.

After the human Doctor said the words, it only took a second for her to accept what was being given to her. This was truly the same man, just in a form that was hers for the rest of their lives. It was as if her Time Lord's body was split in half and each half was made its own new self. With that knowledge, she sealed fate with their first kiss. He even kissed the same, with all the tenderness and affection they had shared a few times with his other self. She threw her arms around him and kissed him deeper, letting him know that he now had her full and most sincere trust.

It's the way it should be now. Just walk away. She's with you and you are with her. Forever, just as was promised.

As the two human lovers kissed, the Time Lord turned and walked back to the Tardis. He couldn't hardly even look at the passenger he was taking with him. Rose would probably think she was being replaced by the older red headed woman, but that could and would never happen. No one would be able to replace Rose Tyler. Even if he fell in love again, perhaps in a new body or a new circumstance, it would never be the same. Donna followed him inside and closed the door, hope filling her heart to the brim. Little did she know what was to come in her very near future.

The Tardis door shut loudly. Rose quickly turned and pulled herself from the loving grip of The Doctor. For him, it was the last time he would see his oldest friend made of wood and painted blue. For her, it was the bitter end of one adventure and the sweet start of another. But for now, there was only the sting of losing the precious Time Lord.

She ran a few paces to the ringing police box. Slowly, it began to fade and disappear in front of her for the very last time. It became more and more transparent as she promised herself to let go and love the man in this form exactly as she did the man in the other form; it was the same man so she thought it should be the same love.

When it was completely gone but still slightly audible, a hand slipped into hers and fingers were suddenly entwined. Her doctor was right beside her yet traveling somewhere else in the universe, a concept that would take a while to get used to. But he was here all the same.

They looked over to eachother at the same time and just stared for a few seconds. She was first to break their stare as she let her gaze return to the empty spot of sand where the blue box had been just a minute ago. Right now was the end of something special for both of them, yet it was also the start of their new life together.

It was a few minutes before either could utter a word. The sun was beginning to peek out from behind the gray clouds that had been hovering all around them. The first ray of light just happened to shine down on them, like a parting gift from the Time Lord who would always be remembered.

"Would you look at that? It's like the sun coming out after the storm," he smiled glancing beside him to find Rose deep in thought. There was only one proper set of words that could be said right now. "Rose Tyler." The girl immediately turned to face him, still a bit unsure of it all. "I love you".

A smile started to form from the corner of her mouth but faded before fully blossoming to the smile he loved best.

"So it's still you? Completely you? You're just in another body, like regenerating to a replica human body?"

"Are you really going to make me name every single place we've been, every monster we've ever fought, every bad meal Jackie has ever had me over for, and every time I wanted to tell you how much I love you? Cause you know I will." He gave her one of his quirky smiles, the one that always seemed to make anything better.

His sweet words brought a full smile to her face and made her eyes light up the way he loved.

"No, what you just said meant more than any list could ever mean."

Rose closed the gap between them and wrapped her arms tightly around The Doctor. He couldn't help grinning as he put his arms around her and held on for the dear single life he had to live. His chin rested on her head in the position they had hugged a thousand times before. From this day on, nothing was going to keep them apart. He made a silent vow to himself and promised to never question what might have been. Here at her side was the only place he had ever wanted to be. While he would be more limited, completely human, and without hopes of ever getting off this planet in this parallel world, it was the only way he could imagine living his new life.

Her soft blonde hair tickled his chin as she looked up at him and asked, "So now what? We go home and then…?"

He looked out at the long stretch of beach and grinned. In his light adventurer's tone, the one she was so used to hearing, he replied, "Now, we do whatever you want to do just as we have always done. We can go back to your house, start looking for a place of our own, start getting me familiar with human life…"

"Start living our new life together," she concluded, happier than he had ever seen her through these human eyes.

"Together," he repeated.

Jackie walked towards them shouting, "Well come on then! It's diner time and I'm starving. I'll be cooking for one more mouth now ya know!"

After the two lovers shared a small chuckle, Rose called out, "We'll be right there, mum!"

The Doctor adoringly wiped any leftover tears from Rose's blissful eyes. She could hardly believe that he was hers from now until the day that one of them died, which she hoped would be a very long time.

Looking up at him she whispered, "Thank you, Doctor. Thank you for this."

"Thank you, my Rose. If it wasn't for you, I would never have known love to be such a wonderful, powerful, magical thing. Some don't find it in one lifetime and yours is the most brilliant love I have ever come across in my ten lives and hundreds of years traveling the whole universe."

She kissed him once more, a simple sweet kiss to let him know that she was and would forever be completely his. With a smile he nodded, took her hand, and walked with her to Jackie's transportation that would take them home.

The two got in the backseat and cuddled close together exhausted from the excitement of the day. The Doctor had never imagined being so tired. In his other form he could go another full day without being the least bit weary. But he was human now and couldn't imagine being happier with the girl he loved dozing off in his arms.

They got home, ate, reminisced on past adventures, made some tea, and laughed until it became terribly late.

"Four in the morning," Jackie yawned in a surprised tone. "It's you alright, Doctor. Only you could make a full night of talking seem like an hour or so."

"He's still part Time Lord," Rose reminded her mother while still in amazement herself. She looked over to the sleepy looking Doctor with flat hair and a crooked smile. "Time for bed," she giggled.

"Yeah, I'm off to bed myself," Rose's father chuckled, a certain sparkle in his eye when he looked over to his wife.

Everyone got up from their seats around the kitchen table and exchanged hugs and told eachother good-night. Just before Rose and the Doctor walked completely out of the room, Jackie stopped them.

"Oh, by the way, Doctor, you can sleep in Rose's room just for tonight. After that you'll have your own room until you find a place of your own."

"Thanks, mum," Rose laughed excitedly.

"And no funny business!" her father added in a disapproving tone.

"Oi, dad!"

"No need to worry, Mr. Tyler. None of that tonight for sure. This being human, its takes a while to get used to. You have a couple of hours to run around, play, and work and then you don't want to do anything but catch forty winks. Definitely a change."

Rose didn't give anyone the chance to speak another word before taking The Doctor's hand and pulling him out of the kitchen to the stairs laughing the whole way. They ran up to her room and started kissing the moment the door was closed and locked. It was their first night together with a whole lifetime's worth of nights to come.

After stolen kisses and deep stares, Rose changed in the bathroom into her favorite old shirt and gym shorts, a modest but comfortable choice for this special night. When she came out The Doctor was laying on her bed wearing his trousers and undershirt. His black shiny shoes, suit jacket, and tie had been thrown on the floor in a pile at the foot of the bed. The unexpected sight of him lounging on her bed hit Rose like a black hole. Everything else in sight faded around the man she loved so much.

"You don't have a clue how many times I've imagined this. You here with me like this," she sighed.

He couldn’t even speak. The human man just briefly grinned back at her, his emotions running more free than he could recall them ever doing before. Without a word, she shyly crawled under the fluffy blue duvet. Their eyes met and she motioned for him to cover up as well. Doing as she wished, The Doctor couldn't fight the pounding of his single heart in his tight chest. Of all their adventures together, they had never slept in the same bed. This was so new to both of them, yet it was something they had always secretly longed for and often thought about while sleeping in their separate rooms in the TARDIS.

She was first to break the ice when she put her arms around his lean waist and snuggled close to him. Surprised, and slightly aroused, by her sudden movement The Doctor put an arm around her shoulder and held her close with the other, just as they had been on the couch. Only they weren't on the couch anymore. The Doctor and Rose were in bed in her bedroom in the corner of her parent's mansion in London.

"You're really here," she nearly giggled, still in disbelief. "You have an extra body that you could have used and done whatever you liked with. And you're here."

"A human body, Rose. And there is nowhere else in the universe I would rather have it than here with you right now. Here with you forever."

They hugged and Rose let out a large yawn.

"Tired?" he grinned, already knowing the answer.

"A bit," she chuckled lightly on his shoulder. "Big day, ya know?"

"Then let's get some sleep, ay?"

After a nod, she pulled away from him, turned out the lamp on her nightstand, and searched for The Doctor's body in the darkness.

"I'm right here," he smiled, eyes shining even in the darkness. She was still afraid this was all somehow a dream. But he never wanted her to feel the sting of loneliness and abandonment he had left her with before.

Wrapping their arms around eachother, the two became less nervous as they cuddled close together. Her head rested between his cheek and shoulder. A few minutes passed as they simply held eachother in thoughtful silence. So many emotions and thoughts running through each weary but happy head. Here they were doing the very thing they had always wanted to, falling asleep together. While perfectly innocent, it meant more tonight than anyone would ever know.

His Rose was safe in his arms right next to his heart that was beating loudly just for her. He thought of the nights he spent just a room away from her tossing and twisting in the covers aching for her to be the way she was now. Some of those long nights, he didn't even make it to a deep sleep in fear that it would never happen. Little did he know that the same exact thoughts were crossing her mind in unison.

"All those nights I couldn't sleep," he began, amused, lovesick, and falling asleep.

"Why not," she replied, half asleep herself with a crooked little grin.

"Because, Rose Tyler, I wanted to be doing this. Some nights all I could think about was wanting you next to me. By holding you like this, I was terrified and daft enough to think it would lead to disaster. If only I had known then. If I knew back then that I would get this chance now, that I wouldn't have to break your heart, I would have held you like this every bloody night we were traveling across the stars and galaxies."

He waited for her to say something in return. When there was only silence, he moved around ever so gently to glance down at her. The Doctor found the girl fast asleep looking like some sort of angel, just as he always imagined she'd look sleeping closely next to him.

"Good night, my brilliant wonderful girl. Have the sweetest of dreams and don't be afraid of any monsters that may find you in your sleep. The Doctor is here. Forever."

The man realized he was going on to himself. It was best he stopped chattering and not risk accidentally waking her up with his jabber. One last content sigh. One last soft squeeze, making sure that she was as close to him as possible. One last kiss on her forehead. And then they were asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
I do not own any characters or lines. Dr. Who is property of BBC. I just love 10/ Rose. Best couple of the series and a greater love in a movie/ series than i have seen in a while. So Brilliant!