Status: Enjoy and PLEASE COMMENT!!!!

Journey's Beginning

Fireworks

Rose was watching telly after Sam had gone to bed after a hard day at work. In the movie, the lovers were kissing under New Years Eve fireworks- that special look in their eyes complete with cheesy music in the background. For a moment, he mind jogged to a time not so long ago. Yet it seemed like another lifetime. With a smile, she closed her eyes and remembered.

---

The Doctor was flipping switches and practically dancing around the TARDIS control room when Rose walked in from an unexpected nap in the library room.

"Ah, there you are. Was wondering when you were going to join in the party," he sang with that goofy grin she adored.

"Party? Where are we?" She softly chuckled doing her best to wake up.

"Before you object, remember that I'm not from this planet therefore I do not take sides on matters having to do with Earth's history," he rambled, flipping the final switches and pressing the last few buttons.

"Alright," she replied confused. "Where are we going?"

"You mean, where are we?"

"We're already to our destination and you didn't bother waking me?" Even acting cross, she couldn't help grinning at his never ending surprises.

"We have all the time and space you can imagine, Rose Tyler," he nearly whispered, staring and taking her in. She was absolutely beautiful when she first woke up- so disoriented and adorable. "Come on, have a look."

He opened the TARDIS doors and immediately sat on its ledge, patting beside him for her to join. Rose took a seat next to him, taking a slightly nervous breath as her feet dangled over some large unknown city. A large metal looking upside down horseshoe was a few blocks away from the rest of the city skyscrapers. Thousands of people were gathered in the large field and steps of the odd monument. A river was on the other side of the massive crowd, adding to the general splendor of the sight.

"Alright then. Tell me," she smiled impatiently. After all this time traveling with him, he was still sexy when rattling on about the history and facts of their adventures.

"The St. Louis arch, completed in the fall of 1965. It's called 'the gateway to the west'. At 630 feet, it is the tallest accessible building in the state of Missouri. It was built in celebration of the early settlers moving from New England to the unknown west. They went in their wagons and many died chasing the dream of a better life. The same reason so many died at the cost of their freedom- a seemingly impossible dream."

"What's the date," she asked, great suspicion in her voice.

"The fourth of July, 2013," he proudly announced with no reserve.

After a quick laugh of disbelief, Rose muttered, "You do see the irony of this, yeah?"

"Irony? I wanted to take you somewhere completely safe but exciting."

"Disney World fits that criteria as well yet we aren't walking around any fairytale castles, are we?"

"Oh, don't be like that, Rose," he sighed, forever the optimist. "The United States may have become independent of England but I don't see why you can't celebrate freedom for one night. Yes, they became their own nation but this is about freedom, something everyone craves. From mischievous teenagers wanting to stay out an hour later than curfew to the writer wanting to write whatever they please, freedom is something to be celebrated. These people don't meet up here once a year to talk down about mother Britain. They celebrate their freedoms. Many a man has died to keep them free of rules and traditions of other stricter countries. They can feel the sun on their faces, vote for their leaders, and chase whatever dreams they have. And the fireworks are a bonus."

Rose pondered for a while, staring down at the energized colorful crowd, before confessing, "Well, never thought of it like that. We're never told that version of the holiday. All we hear in school is how America wanted to be its own country, 'independent' of their homeland." She paused, giving a bit more thought on the matter. "They have a few different freedoms than the ones back home but even I can appreciate the feeling of moving out, living your own life... free to leave home and see the universe."

"They're about to start," he announced more excited than expected. "I love this bit."

Rose didn't have time to say anything before the latest radio hits boomed through hundreds of speakers. The first set of explosions were much larger than she thought they would be and very bright, the crowd cheering and clapping. It reminded her of the New Years celebration in Westminster by the London Eye and Big Ben. The wonder and thrill of being so close to the explosions caught her off guard. They were floating high above the city almost level with the fireworks. For a moment, she was left breathless.

"It is beautiful, isn't it?"

His eyes fell onto her as she watched in amazement. Unable to control himself, he took her hand in his. They shared a quick smile and locked eyes only for a brief time before returning their attention to the show. Music filled the air as the explosions grew in size. The finale was quite a sight and stirred a reaction from the crowd. They cheered, clapped, and whistled even louder than before as the sky became still. A great shout came from beneath the arch as soon as the show was over.

"That was amazing," Rose gasped, the words sounding odd coming from her mouth in a British accent. "Didn't expect the fourth to be like this. I expected there to be more... Britain bashing, I suppose."

"The days are full of bar-b-q and outdoor activities with family and friends then the nights are full of fireworks, everywhere! Well, everywhere away from large cities, but they have their own displays."

"Thank you," she said in a hushed tone, watching the people below scatter across the field and riverside to their cars. "You always seem to open my eyes and broaden my views."

"That's one of my favorite parts of travel. There's always more than one side to one piece of history."
They sat there in silence a while longer before he rose to his feet. "Alright, we still have time for one more place. Your choice."

Rose glanced down as the TARDIS began sliding across the sky, unnoticed by everyone below. As the TARDIS flew higher and higher into the sky, she noticed the many skyscrapers taking shape. A huge smile grew on her lips as the buildings began to spell BADWOLF from high above.

"I like fireworks. Why don't we catch the show at Disney World. Tokyo?"

"Be there in a minute!" he widely grinned, his eyes sparkling with unspoken love for her. "Just close the door and we'll be on our way."

Rose took one last look outside with a new outlook. She didn't have to like the American holiday but she had a new, unexpected even, understanding about it.

"Can we watch from the ground this time?" she asked while closing the doors, a peace and excitement in her voice.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy 4th guys!