To Me You Are My Life, My Soul Companion

Morning Surprises

I quietly snuck out of bed at 6 in the morning to meet with Zacky and Val downstairs. We wanted to plan something special for Syn since he was turning 26 today. Zacky laid his head down on the kitchen table and was almost asleep until I poked him till he woke up again.

He rubbed his eyes and complained, "Why am I up this early again? Zacky V does not get up before the sun does!"

I rolled my eyes and said, "Well 'Zacky V' is up before the sun because he needs to help us plan his best friend's birthday."

He didn't say anything, just got up to take a large mug of coffee from Val who brought one over for me too.

"So, where's Syn's favorite place to eat?"

Val answered, "Oh wow um he has a lot of favorite places...but a couple days before you and Adam moved here I remember he was talking about a restaurant that he wanted to go to really bad. Zack, do you remember which one he was talking about? I think it was a steak place?"

Zacky finished his coffee and said, "Yep, he wanted to go to Longhorn because he was dying for a filet minion!"

Val responded, "Oh yeah! Ok, so Sam, are you thinking maybe about going there to eat then?"

"Yeah, we could rent out the whole bar in the restaurant and party there and then come back and party here!"

"So, there will be lots of partying then?"

"Exactly!" Zacky and I shouted at the same time...then we looked at each other weird.

I said, "Ok, let's hope that never happens again..."

Val went to call the restaurant and rent it out for the night, I wrapped his present, and Zacky went outside to chase some geese out of the yard which made me laugh a lot.

By 8:30, Matt and Johnny were up and then at 9 everyone else except Synyster was up. With everyone's help, we were able to stack up a pile of presents on the kitchen table and fill the whole room with black and red balloons and streamers, similar to the way it was decorated for my b-day two days ago.

Val and I quickly made chocolate chip pancakes and made a big breakfast spread on the island in the center of the kitchen. After ordering the cake and telling everyone about the plans, we all crept up the stairs to Synyster and mine's room. The door creaked a little, but it didn't wake him up.

We wanted to give him a little different wake up call, so I told them that lately he and I have been playing their song 'Darkness Surrounding,' and so we should put on that CD, which happened to be one of the many CDs on the shelves next to my bed, and play the song on max volume.

I quickly grabbed the CD and put it on track 3 to hear Shadows scream "Darkness coats us!"

Synyster immediately jumped up in his bed clutching his pillow and screaming a little to the song, completely unaware of what was going on or who was in the room. We turned the song down a little and that's when he saw us hiding in the dark of the room. Johnny pulled the blinds open and before Synyster could ask any questions or be embarrassed at his reaction, we all shouted, "Happy Birthday!"

He rolled his eyes a little and said, "Thanks, guys, but was all that necessary?"

The Rev said, "Of course it was, how else could we to wake you up?"

Synyster agreed, "This is true. So, why am I up so early and why is Zacky up so early? He never gets up before 10!"

Zacky sighed dramatically and said, "Dude, that's what I told them but they forced me up and gave me lots of coffee so I'm pretty much wired for the day!"

We all gulped and Shadows said, "Oh, that's not good..."

But Zacky didn't care, he just said, "C'mon, Syn, get the hell out of bed so that we can go eat all the breakfast downstairs!"

Syn got up and said excitedly, "We have breakfast? Yay!"

We all raced each other down the stairs to the adorned kitchen and believe me, his jaw dropped when he saw the pancakes and the large stack of presents.

"Whoa, is this all for me?!" he asked.

"Duh!" Johnny shouted.

Within 20 minutes, the huge breakfast buffet was completely trashed and scattered and everyone was so full that we just sat at the table talking about random stories. Synyster was about to say something about a high school story, but stopped mid sentence and quickly changed the subject to 'why does it always have to be so hot in California during summer.' I thought that was a little weird, but I decided to ask him about it later; due to all the events of the day, however, I totally forgot about that and never brought it to his attention.

"You guys can't expect me to seriously sit here with all these presents and make me wait until later to open them!"

Matt got up to get a drink from the fridge and said, "Hey, man, you're the birthday boy, of course you can open your presents. But start at the top so that they don't tumble down or whatever, ok?"

Synyster nodded his head quickly and stood up on one of the kitchen chairs to reach for the presents at the top. The first gift he opened was from the Berry's; it was this lamp that was twisted and bent in every direction and had Synyster's logo all over it like graffiti and had a red and black tie-dye light bulb. It looked so cool!

The next gift was from the Rev and Synyster shook the box a little and said, "Rev, why did you get me clothes? At least you could have made it less obvious."

The Rev laughed a little and said, "Trust me, I think you'll like these."

Synyster ripped the paper off and saw one of his newer shirts from his clothes line and a hot pink bra. "Dude, only you would get me some clothes frommy clothing line...but what's with the bra?"

The Rev bursted out laughing and replied, "I don't know just to wear around the house when you're drunk or whatever."

Synyster rolled his eyes and said, "If that ever happens, I'll seriously give you $20 or something!"

The next gift was from Val and Matt which was a couple new Fedora hats to add to Syn's huge collection.

Johnny got a case of 40s with a tag saying 'Now you can celebrate the proper way. Don't worry; I got some for everyone else too.'

All that was left was a huge, and I mean huge, box from Schecter (Syn's guitar sponsors), something from Zacky, something from Alex, something from Adam, and something from me.

He opened the big box first and it was this amazing guitar from the company saying that they completed his design and made the guitar for him for his b-day and he was so psyched.

From Alex he got a bunch of cool picks and some other guitar accessories with a note saying 'Keep rocking out, dude. Happy b-day!'

From Adam he got a couple of band tees from Hot Topic and a 50% discount for life.

From Zacky, he got this girly picture frame that said Best Friends Forever on it and had flowers and butterflies on it with a bunch of pictures of them hugging each other or just being drunk together and those pictures were so hilarious.

That left only one small box left on the table that was surrounded with multi-colored scraps and bows of wrapping paper. He smiled at me as he opened my gift and then lifted the lid off the box. I was able to write a little note on the inside of the box:

Hey Syn, I wanted to say happy birthday yet again and I really hope that you have an amazing day today and an amazing year as a 26 year old. This past week of living with you and the guys has been the best time I've had in my entire life and I'm so glad to have you as my boyfriend, because it really has been something that I've dreamed about...seriously. Anyway, I hope that you like this even if it is just a necklace. This way you'll always have a piece of me and I'll always have a piece of you. Happy birthday! Love, Sam xo xo

He pulled the necklace out and immediately put it on, while handing me my half.

"This is the perfect gift...and I love it! I'll always have you with me now Sam. Thanks for making this day ten times better."

We both embraced each other in a hug and that led to kissing on the couch while everyone else swept up the mess on the floor. Each day I love him more and more. And I'm pretty sure he feels the same. I smiled as I snuggled into him and watched South Park with him and as I held onto my half of the necklace, completely excited and anxious to see what tonight holds in store for us.