Sofa

Two.

When Ed woke up, he stretched his arm out to the side of the bed, looking for Kinsley. When he felt nothing, he grumbled, one eye finally opening. The alarm clock read 2:34pm. He groaned, how had it gotten so late? He threw the blankets off of him, rubbing his forehead. He couldn't even remember last night. He listened for any signs of her downstairs, but heard nothing. He hoped A) he hadn’t forgotten to pay electricity bill or B) she didn't take the job with her mum. He glanced by the clock again, just then seeing the small bottle of aspirin and water, gratefully taking it, his head pounding. Ignoring how sick he felt he walked slowly down the stairs, using the wall to guide him.
Kinsley sat in the kitchen at the dining room table, the newspaper unfolded in front of her. Her usually straight brown hair was in a messy bun, being held together with a pen that her hand was constantly lingering over, and wearing the red framed glasses she hated. A cup of something was held in her other hand, looking as if she just woke up. Ed stood there and smiled at her as she paid no attention to him as she glared at the newspaper, occasionally taking her pen down from her hair and circling something, before mouthing something and jotting a note down on a piece of computer paper next to her.
"Morning."
She jumped at the sudden sound of his voice. Her eyebrows were knit together for a minute before she finally smiled, "Look who decided to finally get up," She teased, standing up and walking into the kitchen area. He dragged his feet to the table before plopping down on it and rubbing his forehead. "What time did everyone leave?" She stopped humming before speaking, "Hmm," He heard the clicking of a spoon against a glass and winced. "Well you went upstairs at about 1:30-ish and everyone left about an hour later."
He shook his head, "I went upstairs before everyone left?" That didn't sound like him.
"No, I brought you upstairs because you were drunk out of your mind."
She set a cup of tea in front of him, before plopping back into her seat. He smiled his thanks, before taking a long sip, allowing the beverage to warm his throat. "You were going to hurt yourself if you stayed out longer." she teased.
He rolled his eyes, "Doubtful."
"Really?" She laughed, a large smile on her face, "’Cause you fell into Amelie twice."
He groaned, rubbing his forehead. "Thanks again," he finally spoke, "For everything."
"No problem," she smiled to the newspaper.
It was quiet as Ed waited for her to say something, but she concentrated on the newspaper, her hand always touching the pen for quick access. He finished his tea before walking over to her and snatching the pen out of her hair.
"Hey!" She yelled, standing up, "I need that!"
Considering how he was considerably taller, she was already bouncing on her toes, ready to get it. "I think I was promised a movie day." He played with the pen. She sighed, "I completely forgot, Ed. I can’t though I'm trying to find a job-" he shook his head, "We already talked about that, and today is not the day." He threw the pen on the ground, grabbing her hand and leading her to the front room, before plopping onto the couch.
"Pick a movie out." he insisted, as she walked up to the small tower overflowing with different movies. "But no Shrek!" he said quickly.
She groaned, "C'mon, best movie ever!" she insisted, plopping in front of the tower cross legged and thumbing through the selection.
He groaned. "I’m still not over the first ten times we saw it."
She tsked, "It wasn't ten times. It was like twice, if that, and it's such a great movie." She grabbed it from the stack before clutching it to her chest and turning around, batting her eyes at him. He sighed, "Fine, just don't quote the whole movie again."
She smiled, before returning it back to the tower. "Maybe something scary," she insisted, biting her lip, before yelling out, "Ah!" and popping a movie in.
"As long as you're not scared again." He groaned, lying back against the couch, giving her room next to him.
"I wasn't scared!" he insisted, "I screamed because you jumped at me ."
She shook her head, fast forwarding over previews and settling next to him, her back against his side, his arms wrapped around her waist as he rested his head on her shoulder, his lips touching her neck.
"You were scared before that." she teased, pressing play.
"The Human Centipede?" he read out wearily, "Who even bought this? I don't remember-" "Shhh." she cut him off, turning on the subtitles.
Kinsley sighed contently. She loved movie nights with Ed, especially in the front room, which was her favorite room in the house and the one she put the most work into. She spent a week painting the walls and setting it up; buying the right furniture to match and arranging it again and again and again. Her favorite thing in the room? The world map that hung over the couch against the wall, which had pins stuck in places she wanted to visit. Pins were scattered around in what looked like no pattern; Berlin, Tokyo, and Jamaica were among them. She had plans to visit every place. While admiring her handiwork, she mumbled to Ed, "Your phone."
He took it out, quickly reading it. ‘Envy's Pub @ 6?’ was all it read. He looked around, thinking about how bad he wanted to go out with his friends before glancing at her.
"Oh, god." He felt her shake her head in his arm. "Car breaks down, so let's go to the woods where there's only one house. And then go in it!" She snorted, "Really good idea, guys."
Ed sighed, slipping his phone in his pocket, "Babe, you're doing it again." he groaned.
She didn’t take her eyes off the screen when she answered. "Sorry, but I mean, c’mon!" was all she said. It was quiet for a few minutes and Ed felt his eyes slowly closing. "Your hoodie still smells like the bonfire." He looked at her, “Sorry, let me-" She stopped him, "Nah, it's fine."
She snuggled in deeper into his arms, her nose now right above his hoodie. He felt himself slowly drifting off again and the next thing he knew he felt his arm get lighter.
"What?" He mumbled, not wanting to open his eyes.
"Oh, my god!" She yelled.
Ed shot up, "What? What?!"
He shook his head, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. Had he forgotten to pay the electricity bill again? "This sick-o! Oh, my god, no!" was all he got in return.
"What's going on?" his eyebrows squished together.
"Three people? SICK!" was all he got back again. She shook her head, grabbing the remote and pressing pause before throwing the remote.
"Nope!" Was all he heard as she stomped to the kitchen. She arrived a second later, a gallon of cake batter ice cream and two spoons.
"If I have to deal with these dumb asses, I need ice cream."
She plopped next to him, sitting on the edge of the couch before handing a spoon to Ed. Even though he had no idea what happened, or what was about to happen, he thought as he took a spoonful of cake batter ice cream, there was no place he'd rather be. "I'm ready, press play."