Sequel: Swimmers Story

My 3 Dedications And Me

Accidents Will Happen

She pushed away from the wall her arms starting to burn as she kept them moving and felt the burning grow in her legs as she kicked onwards, she saw someone land in front of her and pushed herself to move sideways mentally cursing them. Then from nowhere she felt something hit her body at full force and knock the air from her lungs. She felt her head hit the bottom and her body was too tired to even attempt to push itself upwards, she heard a loud splash nearby before blacking out.

He’d seen it happen and when the body didn’t start to climb to the surface he pushed his way through the people diving in, his hands found the body wrapping around the waist before he kicked off from the floor breaking the surface. Pushing the body into an easier position for him to hold, their head over his shoulder, he reached the edge pulling them both out of the water and on to the side where people had gathered watching.

He laid them down checking their vitals and finding no breathing, he knew this, and he tilted their head taking a deep breath pushing his mouth to theirs. It wasn’t long until they coughed and he pushed them into the recovery position, his hand pushed on to the cut on her head trying to stop the blood.

“That’s why you don’t do stuff like that, there’s a reason why the pool rules say no messing about and diving in at this area!” he scolded and the kid looked really embarrassed. She heard the voice and sat up, she saw the person crouched at the side of her and pushed herself up “Get off me!” she snapped at him and she nearly fell as she tried to stand up and he caught her.

“Okay you need to sit down before you fall again and do worse then this, come on” he ordered almost dragging her to the changing rooms and sitting her down “I said get off me!” she growled pulling herself from him. She pushed her hand to her head where the dull pain was and looked down to see blood on her hand and was nearly sick and he laughed “It is you, Dolly Phoenix!” he laughed at her pushing his hand on to the cut stopping the blood.

“It’s Dorothy to you” she cut back and he looked at her strange “Come on Dolly you must’ve hit your head hard, it’s me Michael” he said looking worried and she laughed. “I know exactly who you are! If you think we’re friends you must’ve hit your head you arrogant, ignorant, egotistical bastard!” she shouted at him. His eyes widened as his fingers pressed hard to her forehead, “If it wasn’t for that fact I’d be sick if you let go of my head trust me I wouldn’t be sat here!” she added.

“I just saved your damn life Dolly! You weren’t breathing!” he argued back and she refused to look at him “Look I appreciate it and I don’t even want to think of the fact you put them lips on me but it changes nothing! And it’s Dorothy!” she snapped at him. She’d known the man next to her since she was 9 years old and he’d approached her at the pool, sure she’d known of him before then and she saw him around but at the age of 9 he spoke to her.

From then on he’d been helpful, he’d been a good friend and a mentor and idol. He’d turned up when she was 10 to see her compete and had been full of advice for her; he was a kind person who she thought sympathised with her. She felt her stomach jerk and the earth spin and was nearly sick “Okay put your head down, near your knees” he order pushing her back slightly and she resisted him but knew he was right so gave up. “You hit your head hard, just keep taking nice slow breaths,” he said rubbing her back with his free hand and they sat in silence until a paramedic arrived.

“Okay you need to come to hospital for some checks on your head, can you stand up for me?” the woman asked and she nodded trying but collapsing and 2 arms caught her, “Okay I’ll go get…” “I’ve got it, come on Dorothy” he stated emphasising the name as he picked her up carrying her; he stayed with her at the hospital when she refused to let anyone ring her parents or anyone.