Sequel: Swimmers Story

My 3 Dedications And Me

Working Towards An IM

The next morning they sat on the bus together and as he discussed tactics with his team mates she saw Michael and she walked to the edge of the pool jumping in as he sat near the edge. "You need to qualify, don't do more than you have to! Third place will do it" he said quietly and she nodded, "Time of 2:07/2:08 do it?" "Yeah, I don't want you getting knackered in that and not having enough for tonight. You're already behind the other girls in your IM, you need everything you can get" he replied and she pushed off from the wall in her fly.

Her heat went okay and she made sure she finished third in a time of 2:07.94 and she went through warming down and saw Michael stood the opposite end with Bob Bowman. She walked over and Bob shook her hand "Well done the other night!" "Thanks, is a third okay?" she asked and Michael nodded "Third will get you there, don't go pushing though" he stated and she nodded.

She focused her mind on the swim and the time she felt she needed before getting back in the water and she heard the crowd around her as she went for her semi finals. She knew that although she'd gone out the other night in the 100 she was still counted as the outsider and she wanted to hang on to that as long as she could. She reappeared after hitting the wall to see her time was 2:06.81 and she'd qualified.

She was asleep in her room later when the door went and she opened it to see Michael looking dodgy "I wanted to talk" he stated walking in past her and checking Missy was out. "Can you go quicker?" "Huh?" she said confused, "The fly, can you go quicker?" "Oh, yeah! I was just going through the motions, I didn't want to go too far for tonight. Plus I wanted the outside lane" she admitted and he nodded.

"Tonight I want another fly! You have to go out hard on your fly and hope that the time gap you can push out is enough. Them girls are better at back and breaststroke than you so you have to try get them when you can, work hard there and hold them. Try to kick on your free to keep the gap and for God's sake listen to Ryan! I don't really care if it goes against what I've told you, if you can get it right like you did in the heats and semi finals then he's the best one to listen to for that. He's the better backstroke swimmer" he lectured her and she nodded before he left.

Her phone buzzed and she looked down 'Good luck for tonight Dorothy! We're so proud, we hope you're feeling great! We love you xxxx' she read from her dad and she smiled relaxing and sleeping again. She walked on the bus having looked at her gold medal before she walked out and she was ready for tonight.

She sat next to Ryan pushing her head back to stare at the ceiling, "Hey you never replied last night!" "Sorry I fell asleep! But no I wasn't going to come over to 'help you feel better'"she laughed and he pouted resting his head on her shoulder. "Jeez Ryan!" "Shut up! I'm getting some last minute rest!" he argued and she laughed letting him be. She was ready to swim again, she was worried about how it would go but Michael had the other girls covered.

She knew she had the best fly in the pack, her free had the potential to be good if she didn't go too hard in her back and breast. That element of her race was an unknown, her best split times were slower than the best girls but she made up for that in the fly. In the free it was all to play for, whoever was fitter and was more hungry for it would win it. Who ever could push through the pain barrier would win.

She saw Ryan with his teammates getting ready to go through to the call room and he was glancing around. She ran to him wrapping her arms around his neck from behind "Good luck my little backstroking prince!" she said in his ear and he laughed turning around grabbing her hugging her. "I thought you'd forgot me again! Good luck my princess of the fly!" he joked letting her go. "Win big!" she stated leaning in kissing his cheek and he grinned kissing her cheek before they called them and he nodded at the guys he was with.

"See you on the otherside!" he offered before disappearing and she slipped back in to her focus, by the time it had gotten to her turn in the call room she was already oblivious to everything around her. She got in place for lane 4 as the fastest qualifier and headed out ignoring everything but the task at hand.

She pulled her clothes off followed by her headphones, she checked her earplugs, earrings, cap and goggles before stretching and stood ready. Anytime under 28.00 for her fly would stand her in a good chance but she didn't want to burn out from too early tries.
♠ ♠ ♠
Staying up until 4.30am to watch the election was an idea that resulted in roughly 4-5 hours sleep...should've power napped!