Sequel: Swimmers Story

My 3 Dedications And Me

Family Forces

The next morning he woke up to hear people coming back in and he looked over to see Michael laid on his back again with Dolly asleep against his side, he wished he'd spoken to Michael about her when he realised they were friends. Michael was a private guy and he held his friends close and from his reaction he held this girl close to him.

"Michael?" he whispered  before laughing, why he was whispering he wasn't sure, Michael was a heavy sleeper, heavy didn't really cover it. He sighed going back to sleep and woke up the next morning looking to see it was gone 11, he heard a groan and saw Michael stretch out. "Snoring all night" he stated and Michael laughed, Michael sat up before collapsing back again to see Dolly move at his side burying herself in his side and he lifted his arm to behind his head giving her more room.

"Dude, about last night! I'm sorry I snapped at you like that, I was stressed and not managing to control it. I just let it go for the wrong thing and I'm sorry, I was out of line" Michael offered and Ryan nodded. "It's cool, I'd never go after any of your friends and well she's been telling me no all week" Ryan laughed as Michael laughed scratching his chest. "So you and her are close?" Ryan questioned and Michael nodded, "She's like...she's just a special kid. I saw it in her when she was 10 and I still see it now. She's very simple, piss her off and she'll tell you, loudly! If she likes you she'll let you now it, she just makes me laugh! It's been very strange having to pretend we didn't know each other, we've missed some good laughs I think" Michael admitted.

"She's a good girl, so you met at the pool?" "Yeah, we trained at the same pool and I'd seen her swim at a meet and was impressed. I spoke to her and she really seemed to understand the way I felt about things, we spent a lot of time together back then at the pool. I used to go to her meets when I was free, I'd sit watching her and try to pick anything up I could from her. I wanted to take her to Beijing but I couldn't get any extra tickets, taking her there would've meant a lot to me" Michael said closing his eyes again.

"Are you sure you two are allowed to be this friendly?" "Ryan! If you can sleep with members of the team I can coach a best friend, I just feel at home with the girl. She's had it rough recently and I feel for her, I really do. She's close to her parents and it must be hell for her" he explained as she pushed her head against his side and he smiled to hisself. "I'm merely stating will it not raise eyebrows?" Ryan pushed "Maybe it will but we're comfortable together and that helps us work together, she's very good to train and you'll see that when you come down to us" Michael reasoned.

Dolly stretched out pulling the covers over her head "Dolly wake up we got an interview at 12 and then we're going to lunch" "Shut up Mikey!" she growled and he smiled. "Mikey? So we're taking nicknames are we?" Ryan teased, "No we're not! She's always called me it though and I call her Dolly so we settle for it" "Yeah so don't you dare call me it!" she grumbled at Ryan who laughed.

"Ergh Mikey!" she groaned as she moved at his side and he smiled, "You perve! Why are you in the bed with me?" "Because if I slept with Ryan he'd not sleep because I snore and he'd keep hitting me! And you don't want to sleep with him did you?" he asked and she sighed "No" "Then I was your only option" he replied. "Then sleep on the floor?" she suggested and he laughed "You're welcome to it!" "I meant you" she laughed and he shook his head "My bed Phin! Although you stole the covers all night so get out now if you're leaving!" he complained and she laughed.

"Take that as a no!" "No have it your way Mikey!" she complained getting up and Ryan noticed the fact she was wearing Michael's clothes. She disappeared in the shower before walking out "Mikey you got a hoodie?" "Yeah here! Missy should be back, so I'll swing by and pick you up for the interview if you want?" he suggested and she nodded walking out the door. She knocked on the door and Missy opened it looking a mess "Sorry" she mumbled and Missy grinned "No I'm sorry you had to crash with someone else! Did you stay with Katie?" "No, Ryan and Michael! I've got a stupid interview so I have to go soon" she answered as she walked in the room finding her clothes and getting changed.

There was a knock on the door "Madam your coach awaits" a voice called and Dolly laughed "You're not coach so shut up, today you're Michael" she stated as she waited for him and he shook his head. "Hey Missy, I'll make sure she lets you get some sleep today!" "Thanks! Allison wants a word with you" she answered Michael who nodded standing aside for Dolly to leave.

They reached the media centre being greeted by people and Dolly looked at Michael who rolled his eyes "Not like you to be shy!" he teased and she glared at him. "So we're back with our two guests, the lost decorated Olympian ever: Michael Phelps and his new project and the newest American swimming sensation Dorothy Phoenix" the woman interviewing them says and they both smiled.

"So how does it feel the night after?" she asked and Dolly looked at her "Surreal, it's still not real in my mind. I've not even had chance to watch my races back yet properly, I've seen bits but not the whole thing" she admitted as Michael smiled. "I think it's more important for her to be relaxing right now, when we get home it'll be all systems go in training again" he reasoned. "Now a lot of people wouldn't believe that you'd just walk away from swimming and they claim they were right, did you really miss it that much?" "I never said I was walking away from swimming! I said I was stopping swimming, I have done. I no longer compete, sure I swim most days still and go to the gym and go jogging and that sort of thing but I don't swim anymore. I had an interest in coaching and Dorothy came along and I thought I'd give it a shot. If I wasn't getting anywhere in a set time period then I told myself I'd have her go to Bob Bowman and see what he thought of her and if he could get her a better coach" Michael explained.

"It was something I wanted to try out and it looks like I did a good enough job. Of course it's not all me and that's what it's been about from the start, Dorothy is the talented one. It's all her and I just work to help her, there's many things I've suggested that she's shot down and in practise with her it doesn't work but she knows what she can do as she's willing to take on advice. She doesn't however know what her real capabilities have been recently" "What do you mean?" the woman quizzed smiling at him.

"Well she knows she can swim and I know she can but lets just say I've not been honest! I haven't been telling her the times she's posting, I've been making out she's around about world record but needs work on it. She's been smashing them before she came here and that's why I was so mad when she messed them up in her heats" Michael answered and Dolly shook her head. "So what's it like training with him?" "Difficult sometimes! But a great opportunity, he has that drive to win and so I trust that he makes the right decisions" Dolly smiled and they sat talking.

"Right can I go see my momma now?" "Nope, she's out! She came out this morning and she's currently sat in the poshest restaurant I could find waiting for us" he explained and she looked at him. "Lunch is on me today, but don't take the piss an order lobster and champagne" he joked as they got in a taxi, "For real?" "Yes for real, order that expensive stuff and I'll make you pay for everyone! Now tonight do you want to go out to dinner with Ryan and me or do you want to just stay at home?" he quizzed and she shrugged.

"You guys can do whatever, I'll stay in the room" "Dude don't bail on us!" he replied "Don't call me dude! I'm not bailing if I never had plans with you!" "Well we both want you to hang out with us! So how about dinner at the dining hall and back to ours for a movie or something?" he pushed and she sighed. "As long as I get to see my momma it's fine!" "Well your wish is by far my command!" he grinned.

They walked to the restaurant and Michael opened the door for Dolly and they stood waiting "Hi, I have table under the name Phelps" he smiled at the guy and he nodded leading them off and they sat down together in silence. "Mikey?" "Dolly" he mocked back and she laughed "Thank you, you know for everything. All this crap, thanks" "Language! We're in a posh place! But anytime Phin, you give me as much as I give you" he reasoned and she smiled at him hugging him.

She heard a voice and let go of him shooting out her seat and looking at her parents hugging her dad before grabbing her mom as Michael hugged his mom. Dolly waited as Mrs. Phelps hugged her as Michael shook her fathers hand and her mother smiled at him sitting down. "So you two are liars! But when you go out and do that who can be mad at you! So how long have you two been plotting this?" her father asked and Dolly smiled.

They sat talking and she realised how much she'd missed this, having her parents close.