Sequel: Swimmers Story

My 3 Dedications And Me

Down To Business

2 months in and he’d managed to work it all around work, she trained before work, at lunch and after work everyday and she hated to admit it but it all came back so quickly. He’d manage to talk to his old coach and was using the same pool he’d trained in and she’d trained in as a teenager but without people really knowing about it, he shouted something to her and she made a joke ignoring him.

“Oh what you think this is joke time? You think this is time to not listen to me? That’s it! You’re staying another half hour now!” he growled at her and she looked at him “I’m not even joking Phoenix!” he snapped and she set off doing lengths again. She climbed out the pool and he stood at her side “Not joking Phoenix, back in now!” he stated and she looked at him.

“Not fucking around, get back in now before I put you in there” he growled and she looked at him shocked, Michael never spoke like that! She hesitated “Are you getting in or am I putting you in?” “No! I’m done!” she answered and he laughed planting his hand on her back pushing her and she hit the water. “I said half an hour more and I meant it, now back to what you were doing!” he growled at her and she set off.

“Okay we’re done he called and she climbed out the pool at the far end laying on her back exhausted and he walked around to sit at her side, “Nice session Miss Phoenix” he said and she nodded “Yeah great!” she mumbled and he laughed before his whole demeanour changed. “Dolly you know this whole feeling each other out thing? Stop it you won’t win, I’m not backing off on you and you have to see that” he said calmly and she nodded closing her eyes.

“I like to know my limits and they’re well and truly understood now,” she answered him “Yeah well good” he mumbled and she smiled to herself although she doubted she had the energy to be happy and go lucky right now. “Hey Mikey, you know this hard ass business and being all professional and shouting at me and being boss thing?” she asked “Yep” “Good job! I didn’t think you had it in you and it’s the right thing to be doing” she reassured and he smiled.

“Really why?” “Because you’re all nice and shit, me I’ll curse and tell people how I feel but you never do. You’re polite and I thought I’d walk all over you but you’re doing a good job, I like that you’re very…professional about it all. Mr. Phelps is an utter twat but Michael…he’s not such a bad guy” she offered and she laughed.

“Well Dolly can be a pain in the ass sometimes but Miss Phoenix is a hard worker” he complimented, “Whilst we’re talking about all this, I feel like I have to say something. This whole training for the centre lane…it’s not for me. I don’t like centre lane swimming, it’s not my thing,” she admitted. “Why?” he asked “It worked for you but it doesn’t for me, can we try it out my way?” she questioned.

“Why doesn’t it?” “With you people knew you’d win, their shot on winning was small and so they focused on those that could be second to fight for it. I don’t have that mind or ability, I can’t be confident like that and I like to swim on the outside away from those swimmers. I know my swim and I’ll do it but I like to be on the outside, I like being the one people don’t really think of and going out and doing it my way,” she explained.

“But you’re capable of middle lane times and swims, I’ve seen you race that way before” “I know you have but I prefer the outer lanes,” she repeated and he nodded. “Okay we’ll work on that but I still want middle lanes as well, putting it out there but I don’t want you going to major meets that aren’t vital. You go off the element of surprise and I think that’s your best chance” “Saying I’m chanceless now?” she laughed and he grinned “Nope, now come on up” he said holding his hand out puling her up and she looked tired.

“Come on I’ll make you dinner, as a sorry for being a bit harsh earlier and making you stay longer,” he offered and she smiled leaning on him as they walked towards the changing rooms. Mr. Phelps was her coach and he was a bastard sometimes, but Michael was her friend and he always made up for the fact he’d been a douchebag when being coach. He did however phase between the 2 easily and their understanding had been pretty easy, she’d tried to test his dominance and he’d punished her and locked her down every time.

She needed that dominating personality as a coach because her cheeky nature meant she’d take the piss out of anyone who didn’t got on top of her and order her around, and as a swimmer she took that and worked with it once she knew her place. As a friend if he spoke that way to her she’d punish him but he didn’t and he never would, she knew when he was coach and when he was friend.

“A bit harsh? Are you even joking me?” she asked and he shook his head “You were being a right little pain in my arse, trying to be cheeky and you do it all the time you whinging girl” he teased and she planted her hands pushing him and she heard a splash as she laughed and saw him in the pool. “You might be in charge when I’m in there but trust me Mikey, you don’t try walking all over me out of it!” she warned and he glared at her before that huge grin she knew from childhood cracked on to his face.

“Well that was my punishment for treading boards I shouldn’t,” he said acknowledging he’d been pushing his luck “How’s it feel being back in there then?” she asked and he smiled “Same as it did about an hour ago when I was in here with you” he answered as he pulled himself out. “Well now you owe me,” he said and she nodded “I’ll let you cook at my house,” she offered and she laughed “Deal” he answered and they disappeared to the changing rooms.

She collapsed on the couch as they waked in and he smiled at her “Part of me really feels badly or the way I’ve been when you do this” “And then I throw you in the pool” she joked as she closed her eyes. “Yeah then you do that and I don’t care anymore, how’s your parents?” he shouted from the kitchen and he nodded before realising he’s not see her “Good, dad’s team are doing well and momma’s out of hospital so they’re feeling good” she answered and he smiled.

“Come on, up and eat” she heard him say as he pushed her legs and she did as she was told “Did I fall asleep?” “Yeah! You were snoring,” he teased as she took the plate and started to eat. “Tell you I love to see a girl with an appetite” he joked and she laughed as she scarfed down the food in front of her “I need it if you’re going to do that at the pool again” she replied.

She turned the TV on half paying attention “Don’t you have somewhere to be?” she asked, “What am I forgetting?” he said confused and she laughed “nothing I was just asking” “Oh! Mom says that when she’s trying to hint I’m forgetting something. Are you trying to tell me to leave?” he asked. “No! You want to stay here that’s fine but I just meant you can leave if you want” “Dolly can I ask you something?” he questioned “You just did” she smiled and he laughed “Are we cool now after the whole you hating me thing?” “You’re on the road to recovery Mikey I’ll tell you that much,” she offered and he smiled.