Vengeance University

Chapter Five

I ended up having a break between my second class and lunch, so I decided to go to my dorm and change into cloth shorts and a t-shirt and go down to the gym area to see if there was a work-out room. After I left my dorm building and headed across the campus, I passed Jimmy, the janitor from earlier, trimming the hedges. And I totally took the opportunity to check him out while I walked by. I smirked to myself and kept going, following the sidewalk to the large stadium that was set behind the university buildings. I pulled open one of the large doors and entered a long corridor that branched off: one going to my left and the other going straight ahead. I looked down both, not knowing which to choose, and then saw the sign above the branch-off that said the weight room was to the left and the stadium was straight ahead, so I turned left.

When I pushed open that door I was met with a whole lot of equipment that looked almost brand knew. More than half of them I didn't know the names of, but I noticed there were bench presses, ellipticals along the far wall, and long metal racks full of individual weights. There were a few people already in there working out, most of the being guys.

I got right to work on an elliptical machine, putting in the earbuds of my iPod, and then watched the people around me. After a few moments, a guy -- a very buff guy -- sat up from a bench press. He looked right at me and I quickly looked away, feeling embarrassed that he saw me looking at him. The guy stood up and started walking toward where I was and I felt my face get redder and my pulse go faster. Why was he coming over here?

He stopped in front of me and tapped his ear, and I took my earbuds out. He leaned closer and said, quietly, "Did you know that the weight room is only open to staff before lunch?"

I just kinda stared at him. "Um... uh, no," I said bashfully.

He smiled. "Eh, I'll let is slide, but you should probably get out of here before someone less forgiving than myself comes and you get in trouble," he said. "I'm Matt by the way. I'm like... the head of the athletic department here."

"I'm Amanda... you already know I'm a student here I guess," I said back, shyly.

"Well, you best run along."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sarah and I walked to the food court that was in pretty much the center of the campus instead of going to the dining hall for lunch.

"Where do you wanna eat?" I asked as we stopped and looked around at the many choices. There was a sub shop, a French place, a sushi bar, Wendy's, and a bunch of others to choose from.

"I don't care, you choose," Sarah replied dreamily. She was gaping at the guy I pointed out earlier to her that was standing with Mr. Haner.

"Okay, Wendy's it is," I said, grabbing her wrist to pull her along. We waited in the line and then ordered and wated some more before our order was processed. As we walked to a table to sit at, Sarah was oogling that same guy, who was now talking to that buff guy Matt.

"And you say I've got a thing for Mr. Haner? You've definitely got it bad for Mr. Whatever-his-name-is. Is he even a teacher?" I asked.

"Dunno," she said, still dreamily. I rolled my eyes. "I think he's imp-" she started to say, but was knocked flat on her ass, cutting her off. She'd managed to collide with one of the guys working at the Wendy's who was carrying an impressively large box of ketchup packets. The ketchup went flying and Sarah and the guy were sprawled on the floor. I just had to laugh.

"Jeeze... having a hard time staying on your feet? That's the second time you've fallen today," I said, helping Sarah to her feet. She scowled at me and brushed herself off. It was a good thing I was carrying the tray with our food on it, or we'd have lost it all.

"Shut up," Sarah growled. I just laughed again and helped the guy Sarah bumped into as he picked up al lthe stray ketchup packets.

"Are you alright, err--" I paused, and then glanced at his nametag. "--Johnny?" I helped him up to his feet, realizing he was only about as tall as I was.

"Yeah, just peachy," he said, brushing himself off as well.

"Terribly sorry," Sarah apologized and then we continued on to the table.

"So that guy was cute, eh?" I asked, waggling my eyebrows suggestively. She gave me a look of disgust.

"Are you kidding?... He's... short," she said.

"What is it with you and the height of men? You only like a happy medium... Like Mr. Whatshisface you keep oogling," I smirked.

"I wasn't oogling."

"Sure you weren't."