‹ Prequel: If Only They Knew
Sequel: A Love Like This
Status: D-D-D-D-D-DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE

On Your Side

Day One.

She turned to face him, offering a small smile.

“You dyed your hair.” He said lifting a strand of her once bright red hair.

She nodded “I needed a change, I went for something more professional.”

He dropped the strand of hair “so what gives, I thought we were going to be friends, you never respond to my texts, calls, emails, IMs, anything.”

“It’s been pretty hard for me.”

“well, me too, it’s not like we ended on bad terms though, I don’t get it.”

She sighed “Nick, I have to go, okay?”

Once Nick was out of earshot Garrett nudged her side “you ok?”

“I’m fine.” They walked into the dressing room where John was making various animal noises and making weird faces to warm up his voice.

“I’m still not used to the black hair, Little Red.” Jared announced when she sat down.

She laughed “me either.”

“why did you change it?” Kennedy sighed

“It’s hard enough to be taken seriously being a girl in management without having ‘crazy hair’”

Pat looked at the time on his phone “they’re about to go on, you gonna watch?” he asked Sarah

She shook her head “no. I need something for my head.” she lifted her bangs to show the small purple bump.

“Shit.” Pat gasped standing up to get the pot of painkillers, ideally for when any of them got headaches or were feeling under the weather, more likely to be used to mask a killer hangover. He chucked her the pot.

She shook her head placing them on the table and walking over to the makeshift bar picking up a red solo cup and half filling it with Jack.

“what the hell happened?” John asked once he’d finished imitating a monkey, then inspecting the bump.

She winced as he ran his pointer finger gently over the surrounding area, “I hit my head on my bunk.”

He chuckled “I’m not sure alcohol will help what’s likely to be a mild concussion but ‘Girls Do What They Want’, right?” he winked

“I’m not sure you’re allowed to make jokes of your song titles.”

he shrugged grabbing the cup from her hand and taking a sip “is this just for your head?”

“why else?” she snatched the cup back

“I know you’re a natural blonde, but that’s no reason to play dumb. Nick, are you going to be ok with it?”

“We’ve hung out since we broke up, what’s the difference?”

John rolled his eyes “you guys don’t even talk.”

“then we don’t have to talk now do we? I’m not managing them.”

“I think you should at least give him a chance.”

“I have a boyfriend.”

John smiled smugly “yet here you are, arguing with me about your ex while your boyfriend is on stage.” he glanced at the clock “wait, no he’s just come off stage.”

She glared at him before heading for the door “I’ll be back before you guys go on.”

She walked the unfamiliar corridors until she found herself standing at the side of the stage, the lights were dimmed right down and the crowd were unaware that A Rocket To The Moon were currently getting themselves into position on stage.

The crowd were taking, shouting, screaming, generally being really loud until the stage lights burst up to reveal her brunet ex and three of her closest friends.

“Once upon a time, I believe it was a Tuesday when I caught your eye
we caught onto something, I hold on to the night you looked me in the eye and told me you loved me.
Were you just kidding? 'Cause it seems to me this thing is breaking down, we almost never speak
I don't feel welcome anymore. Baby, what happened? Please tell me 'cause one second it was perfect,
now you're halfway out the door”

She stood in shock as the words to the infamous Taylor Swift song sunk in, causing the reality of the situation to hit her.

Nick knew she was present, Nick knew how the song would affect her, Nick knew what he was doing and he knew the game was now on. “that songs dedicated to a girl I used to know, well, still know.”

He wanted his girl back and he was willing to try anything and everything until he got what he wanted.

Arms wrapped around her waist, a kiss placed gently on her neck then “hey” whispered into her ear made her snap out of her trance.

“hi.” she put on a smile

“John said you hit your head are you ok?”

she nodded “I’m fine. Sorry I missed your set, I was trying to sort out my head.”

he laughed, his throat vibrating on her bare shoulder “it’s ok, I understand.”

She bit her lip “I was just coming to find you but I was too late, then I found Eric.”

He smiled turning her so his keep kiss her lips “don’t worry about it.”

His smile reached his green eyes and suddenly her own smile wasn’t just put on, she was genuinely happy. He made her happy. She felt stupid for ever doubting she was in the right relationship because Joel Kanitz was perfect for her, they never argued, her family loved him.
He kissed her again “it’s nice having you on our first tour.”

She giggled when he pressed his lips to her forehead “Joel, I’m supposed to be being professional.”

He laughed back “of course, sorry.” he kissed her again before letting go of her hand “I’ll see you later.”

“Okay, I like you.”

He chuckled “I like you more.” he turned the corner and headed back to the dressing room.

Sarah turned her attention back to he stage just as Rocket’s set was finishing.

Eric, Andrew and Justin each hugged her as they past, Nick stopped in front of her “who was that?”

She sucked in her bottom lip “who?”

“the blond, pretty boy that was just all over you.”

She smiled “my boyfriend, Joel, from This Century.”

“boyfriend?”

she nodded

he narrowed his eyes slightly, then repeated himself “boyfriend.”

“why is that so hard for you to process, Nick, I’m over you.” she wasn’t.

“no, no, I’m happy for you, I just...” he shook his head then walked off.

She watched after him before stepping onto the stage to help set up for The Maine.
♠ ♠ ♠
Team Joel or Team Nick, early days but who gets your vote?