‹ Prequel: Nightmare City
Sequel: Paris Redux

Hunter's Strike

Chapter 3 - Running Into an Old Friend

Gabriel’s cell phone vibrated in his pocket. His hand went to it immediately. He opened his eyes and checked the screen. It was another text from Desyre.

He deleted it without bothering to read it. Ever since she had flown back to the west coast she hadn’t left him alone.

Angie sat at the kitchen counter, a laptop open in front of her. She had brought a stool into the kitchen, which meant the screen was facing away from him. She was facing him though, and he could see her expression was tight with concentration.

“Is anything wrong?” he asked.

Her shake of the head was minimal, her eyes focused on the screen, her fingers poised over the touch pad. “No.”

“Where did you find the laptop?”

“Dresser drawer in my bedroom. It’s mine now cause I called it.”

“I see...” Gabriel got up off the floor. The early morning sun was just barely peeking up over the skyline. Through the glass sunlight couldn’t burn him, but that didn’t mean he had to like it. He turned back to Angie. “What are you doing? Going through the browser history?”

She frowned. “I’m looking for a job, if you must know.”

That shocked him for a moment. “Why?” Thanks to his late son, their finances were well in order. Between the two of them, they wouldn’t have to seek gainful employment in Angie’s lifetime.

She shot him a brief glance. “I need to get out of the house for a bit.”

He looked at the pile of used tissues next to the laptop pointedly. “Shouldn’t you wait till you’re no longer ill before looking for employment?”

“I can still look,” she said stubbornly. She became frustrated then and closed the laptop. “There’s no more Nora, no more Katrina. Our lives aren’t in constant danger anymore. We should both be deciding what we want to do with them.”

“This time of leisure will not last long.” His expression was shadowed.

“Have you been talking to Callie?” Angie asked suspiciously.

“Why on Earth would I be talking to her?”

“She said almost the same thing. She called right after I woke up and said it was fine to keep the laptop, but it wouldn’t do me much good because I’d be too busy to go to work.” She opened the laptop roughly, continuing her browsing. “I definitely need to get out of here,” she muttered.

Gabriel turned his attention back to the window. Being out in the sun drained him, but it was a bearable sacrifice for some peace. “Do you want to go for a walk?”

Angie sneezed loudly, groping for a tissue. “What? Right now?” she asked as she blew her nose. She sniffed. “Where?”

“Let’s explore the neighborhood. We don’t even know where to purchase food in the vicinity.”

She was silent for a moment, thinking about the empty fridge. “Let me get my coat.”

********

“I for one am glad that Butcher’s shop is so much closer to our new residence.” Gabriel announced, a full shopping bag dangling from each hand.

“That’s all well and good for you, but I’m not going to be walking twenty blocks uptown on a regular basis,” Angie frowned at him. “and gas is not cheap.” She looked tired, but didn’t seem to be in pain. Her nose was bright red from rubbing it and her expression was sour.

“How does your leg feel?” he asked her.

She looked surprised for a brief moment. “Not as terrible as I thought it would, actually.” She looked up at the sky. A thick bank of clouds had moved in and covered the sun. “Maybe the cold is helping?” She looked over at him and the corners of his mouth were turned up ever so slightly. “What? What’s funny?”

“I’m just glad that you’re healing. I never realized just how slow the process was for you.”

Angie’s heart went into overdrive and her cheeks reddened to match her nose. “Well, just go flaunt your quick healing and vampire...ness.” She turned and walked down the street. “I’m hungry. We’ve got your food, now it’s my turn.”

“Lead the way.” he said, as she started down the street.

Angie’s phone chimed in her pocket. She fished it out and tapped at the screen, then her eyebrows knitted together. Gabriel was walking beside her now and noticed her expression. “Something wrong?”

“No, I don’t think so. Just Callie being strange. She says there’s a pirate ship down at the harbor. She wants to know if we wanna check it out.”

Gabriel stopped walking abruptly. Angie stopped a step later and looked back at him. The sidewalk was crowded and people had to turn to walk around him. “What kind of ship is it? What is its name?”

“She just said pirate ship.” Angie tapped at her phone. “I’ll ask her.”

“Come on, let’s go.” He started walking again, quickly now. His long legs eating up the pavement.

Angie soon fell behind, trying to text and walk at the same time. “Hold on, I can’t walk that fast. Come on, it’s probably not a real pirate ship!”

Her phone chimed again. ‘Look out.’ read the reply from Callie.

Gabriel had stopped again, half a block ahead of her, waiting for her as she started to run up to him. Then a large brown blur slammed into his side, carrying him through a plate glass window.

The area quickly became deserted. Angie fought through a rush of people going in the opposite direction. When she made it to the window, she hung back, peering inside.

Gabriel lay on his back in the lobby of the office building. A tall man stood just on the other side of the broken window. He wore a long suede coat that billowed out like a cloak. Heavy black boots clad his legs up to his knees. A wide brimmed hat sat low over his eyes. He wore gloves and the ends of a long scarf dangled down to his waist. Like Gabriel, he was overdressed for the slightly chilly for late-summer weather.

The lobby was completely deserted except for the two of them.

Gabriel got to his feet, facing the other man, but not taking a defensive stance. He just stood there, looking at him.

His bags were completely ruined. White bottles were scattered all over the highly polished granite floor.

“Donovan, didn’t you used to have blond hair?” he asked.

Donovan Blackswell took two long steps up to Gabriel, raising his fist in the same movement. He caught Gabriel on the side of his face, sending him back to the floor. “That’s what you ask me?” he demanded, his voice deep and furious. “It’s been four bloody centuries you black-hearted bastard!”

“Three and a half,” Gabriel answered calmly from the floor.

“I thought you were dead!”

Gabriel didn’t look up at him. “I got married.”

Donovan reached down and dragged him back to his feet. “You could have come back to port before I left Paris.” His voice was a furious growl.

“I got caught up in a situation,” Gabriel hedged.

Donovan grabbed his shoulder roughly and pulled him into a crushing hug. “I missed you,” he said sadly.

Gabriel didn’t embrace him in return. Instead he looked over at Angie, whose eyebrows threatened to disappear in her hairline. He pushed away from Donovan, though not unkindly. “This isn’t the place for this. We shouldn’t linger here.”

Donovan looked around the lobby. “I suppose, before someone decides to be brave enough to investigate.”

Gabriel started picking up the scattered bottles. Donovan turned back towards the window and spotted Angie, who was giving him a disapproving look. He started towards her, raising his hand menacingly.

Gabriel was next to her suddenly, placing bottles into her arms. His demeanor was casual, but tension made his movements stiff. Angie said nothing, and shoved a few of the half-pint bottles into her coat pockets. The rest she carried in her arms. Gabriel went back for the remainder of the bottles quickly, his footsteps silent on the broken glass.

Angie watched Donovan warily. He’d lowered his hand and was looking at her in astonishment. She stood there, half a dozen bottles clutched to her chest. Her cheeks were as red as her nose from the slight chill in the air coupled with the recent excitement.

Donovan’s expression became confused. “Who are you?”

“Angie. Angie Statton"

Gabriel returned with the rest of the bottles in his own arms. White bottle tops peeked out from his coat pockets. “Let’s go,” he said to Angie, ignoring Donovan completely. They both turned and started walking down the street. Angie looked back at Donovan briefly.

“Wait,” Donovan called after them, running to catch up. He matched his speed to theirs and walked beside Angie. “You have to talk to me, you owe me a better explanation.”

They reached the end of the block and crossed to the next one. The crush of people returned and Donovan squeezed closer to Angie, who shifted closer to Gabriel.

“I’m sorry I hit you,” he said after Gabriel didn’t answer him.

Gabriel continued to ignore him, looking straight ahead. Angie looked at Donovan, but didn’t say anything.

“I’m sorry I hit you twice,” Donovan tried again, a pleading note creeping into his deep voice. “It was stupid, and immature, and came about as a result of pent up feelings and jealousy.”

Angie felt Gabriel’s shoulder twitched slightly at the word ‘jealousy’, but he still didn’t turn. “Why were you jealous?” she asked.

“It’s only natural that I would be jealous of Gabriel when he’s out shopping with a pretty girl.”

“So he used the name Gabriel way back when he used to sail with you?” Desyre, an old flame of Gabriel’s, had told Angie that Gabriel had sailed with pirates before. She hadn’t believed it until now. This vampire had mentioned ‘port’ and his long coat and wide brimmed hat just screamed ‘pirate’. Plus, Gabriel had been agitated when he heard about the pirate ship. It didn’t take a genius to put two and two together. Or in this case, two and two and two and two.

Donovan was disarmed by this calm human lass who was talking to him so casually about vampire subjects. “His name isn’t Gabriel any longer?” he asked.

“No, it still is. I just thought you guys had a bunch of names, since you live so long.”

Donovan shook his head. “We’re a sentimental lot, it’s one of our great flaws. Not for people, mind, but for names and places. We have long memories and longer lives. Change happens constantly, which can be disconcerting to a being so rooted in the past.”

“Vampires are much more civilised than I would have assumed two years ago,” she said. “I’ve known more to hold conversation with me than to attack me.”

“If you consort with Gabriel, that’s hardly surprising. He attracts the strangest of our kind.”

“Oh? Like you?”

Donovan grinned broadly. “Especially me!” He thumped his chest once with his fist.

Angie couldn’t help but laugh. Gabriel frowned, still staring straight ahead.. “So, that’s your pirate ship in the harbor, I assume?” Angie asked.

“You assume correctly. You are as clever as you are beautiful.”

“I bet you say that to all the human girls.” Angie laughed again.

“Of course not, I say it to most of the men as well.” Donovan winked at her. “So, where are you two heading now?”

“Home.” Gabriel said firmly before Angie could speak. She looked at him but he still wasn’t looking at Donovan. “By ourselves.” He took Angie’s hand in his. She looked down at their hands in alarm and confusion. What the heck was going on here? This was certainly a side of Gabriel that she’d never seen before.

“I’m truly regretting my violent actions earlier.” Donovan insisted. “Attacking you was the worst way for us to meet after so long. Please accept my sincerest apologies.”

“You also broke a window.” Angie pointed out.

“I will send the building a generous check that will cover the damages.”

Finally Gabriel turned his gaze to Donovan, his eyes cold. “I don’t care what you do, Donovan, just leave us alone.” His voice sent an icy chill down Angie’s spine and stopped Donovan in his tracks.

He stared after the pair as they walked away, Gabriel holding Angie’s hand a bit too tightly.

“But... I’ve missed you so much.” Donovan’s voice was low and pleading.

Angie stopped walking. Gabriel continued until their arms were outstretched between them before he stopped as well. Stubbornly, he didn’t look back at Donovan, or at Angie. All three were silent as New Yorkers pushed past them or ignored them entirely.

It was Angie that broke the silence. “Speaking of ice cream, I want ice cream.”

“No one is talking about ice cream.” Gabriel said.

“Well, we’re on the subject now.” Angie replied. “And I’m hungry. I was promised food. It’s not fair that we got yours first.”

“I’ll buy you ice cream.” Donovan offered. “Whatever kind your heart, and stomach, desires.”

Angie looked back at him shrewdly. “ANY kind?”

********

An hour and a half later, the three of them were seated at a small round table at Serendipity 3. It was crowded and Angie was anxiously looking for the waiter who would bring her sundae.

Her stomach growled loudly, causing both vampires to stop ignoring each other and look at her. She patted her belly. “Patience.” she soothed. “Soon.”

Gabriel reached into his pocket and retrieved a white bottle. He opened it and took a drink.

“Could I bother you for one of those?” Donovan asked.

Gabriel grimaced, but reached into his pocket. He slid another bottle across the table towards the other vampire, but still didn’t look at him.

“I see you’re still quite huffy when angered.” Donovan remarked as he cracked the seal on his bottle.

Angie snickered. “Now that’s an understatement.”

The smell from the bottle reached Donovan’s nose and he grimaced. “Ugh, this one’s gone off.”

“No it hasn’t.” Gabriel said, finally looking at him. “It’s been treated and pasteurized to keep longer. Also, it’s pig.”

“I shall pass.” Donovan capped the bottle and slid it back over to him. “Why would you ever drink something so foul?”

Gabriel narrowed his eyes. “Because I agreed to.” He turned away from Donovan.

Donovan’s eyes turned to Angie. “What?” she asked self-consciously.

“This would be your doing, then?” He gestured at the bottle.

“Technically,” she answered. “I am the one that makes him stick to that diet, though it wasn’t originally my idea.”

“What was your idea? Originally.”

“Shooting him in the chest.” Angie sipped her glass of water.

Donovan picked up a menu and pretended he was very interested by its contents. “Since when did frozen sweets become so expensive?”

“You punched Gabriel through a window. Just be glad I didn’t order the Golden Opulence Sundae.”

“It says here that it must be ordered 48 hours in advance.”

“See how lucky you are?”

Her Strawberry Fields sundae arrived and was placed before her. Her eyes widened and she gasped in delight, lifting up her spoon. Donovan watched her movements. “Well, that’s just not fair.”

Her spoon stopped in midair. Angie broke her gaze away from her sundae and looked at him. “What’s not fair?”

Gabriel glared at the other vampire. “Donovan.” A warning edge crept into his voice.

This time it was Donovan ignoring Gabriel. “Just stop and think about it a moment,” he said silkily, his eyes capturing Angie’s. “You are about to consume what is most likely, judging by it’s price, New York City’s finest strawberry and cheesecake sundae.” As he spoke a dollop of whipped cream slid slowly down a scoop of ice cream. “And yet, dear Gabriel is forced to drink swine. You can’t tell me that you fail to see the inequality in your relationship.”

“Donovan, just drop it,” Gabriel said, and was ignored by both of them.

Angie’s face went red. “You make it sound like I’m forcing him.” Her voice went high at the end.

“What’s his other option? A silver bullet to the heart?” Donovan asked sternly.

Angie put the spoon down with a thunk. She pushed the sundae a few inches away. Gabriel focused on her. “I’m fine, please eat your ice cream.”

She shook her head, her jaw twitching. “I don’t want it.” She flagged down a waiter. “Can I get a light salad, to go?” The waiter nodded and hurried off.

Gabriel glared at Donovan. “Why must you always, without fail, cause trouble?”

“I had no intentions of starting anything. You weren’t speaking to me, so I decided to converse with your young friend.”

Gabriel leaned forward menacingly. “Listen to me, Donovan Blackswell. You are not wanted or needed, and you haven’t been for centuries. Go back to the harbor, get back on your boat, and leave this city far behind.”

Donovan put a twenty down on the table and stood up. “You can’t boot me out of the city, Gabriel.” His voice was calm. “I’ll decide when I leave port. Our contract has not expired, no matter how much time has passed. You’d do best to watch yourself, before I get it into my mind to take back what you owe me.” He turned to Angie and gave her a short bow. “A pleasure,” he said shortly, then walked out.

Once he was gone, Gabriel laid his head down on his arm and looked at Angie. “Please eat your sundae.”

Angie’s brow furrowed. “No, he’s right, it isn’t fair that I eat whatever I want, while you have to suffer.”

“I wouldn’t call my time with you suffering.” He paused a moment. “Any longer.”

“Still, there is just one thing.” She picked the twenty up off of the table and held it up. “This isn’t going to cover my salad.”

Gabriel felt the corners of his mouth turn up into something almost resembling a smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
I SKIPPED THIS CHAPTER!! SO SORRY, I WILL FIX THIS SOON!