‹ Prequel: Nightmare City
Sequel: Paris Redux

Hunter's Strike

Chapter 12 - As the Sun Goes Down

“Angie hurry up! We still have to get everything downstairs!”

"The party doesn't start for another hour, Callie. We've got plenty of time till the guests arrive!"

"Some of them are going to arrive early!" Callie ran out of the apartment, a tray of food in her hands.

Angie pulled a chocolate cake out of the fridge and placed it on the counter. The counter was already full of food, so she had to nudge a few things aside to make room.

Gabriel stood in the living room, looking out the window at the skyline. He was careful not to step into the sunlight.

There was a knock on the open apartment door. "Angie?" A familiar voice called.

Angie spun around. "Kieran!" She cried. "Omigod I can't believe it!" She ran over to him and wrapped her arms around his neck. "Did you really fly all the way from Paris to come to a pool party?!"

Kieran gave her a brief hug. "But of course, it's your pool party, isn't it?" There was a bouquet of brightly colored flowers in his hand. He proffered them to Angie.

Kieran was a tall, handsome hunter Angie and Gabriel had met in Paris earlier that year. He had long dark hair he kept in a loose braid that went down his back. Not only was he tall, but he was also broad shouldered and muscular. He wasn't as buff as Angie's step brother, but he came in at a close second.

Usually he wore a long black duster, but the summer heat would not allow for it. Instead he wore a snug gray T-shirt and black jeans. His bare arms were tanned and well toned. Covering one eye was a black eye patch.

Angie looked into the hall behind him. "Did you bring Nora?"

"Alas, no. Exams are coming up and she needs to study. She sends her regards."

Gabriel watched the pair out of the corner of his eye. "I have a present for you." Kieran told Angie, handing her a small white box.

Angie lifted the lid, her expression delighted. "Oh, you didn't have to." She pulled a silver charm bracelet out of the box and held it up to the light.

"Here, let me." He took the bracelet and undid the clasp. She held out her wrist and he put the bracelet on, closing it for her.

She gave him a friendly peck on the cheek. "Thank you. It's very sweet."

"I'm glad you like it." He returned the kiss casually, but on her lips. Her cheeks turned the barest shade of pink and she ducked her head.

Gabriel felt something dangerous twist inside his stomach. He turned his eyes back to the window.

"I have to go help Callie. Take a load off till the party starts." Angie hurried out the door.

Kieran wandered into the living room. He was trying to appear casual, but Gabriel could see right through him. "Greetings Gabriel." He said, switching to French. "It's good to see you looking well."

Liar, Gabriel thought. As a hunter, Kieran would rather see him staked and beheaded. He turned away from the window. "There's no reason to pretend politeness with me." He said, his French coming back to him easily.

Kieran laughed. "I suppose, but you can let me try. I don't enjoy it any more than you, but I'm willing to endure it for some information."

"Just come out with it then, and spare us both the niceties." The ice in his voice was making the temperature in the room drop.

"Alright, I'll speak plainly. I'm staying in New York till Wednesday. I would like to take Angie out for dinner and sightseeing. Is there anyone in her life right now I should worry about?"

Gabriel kept his voice casual. "She's not seeing anyone, if that's what you're asking."

"That is a relief to hear, but I would also like to know if there is anyone who would object to me taking her out."

"You mean other than Evangeline herself?"

Kieran stepped closer to Gabriel. He was both taller and wider than him, but Gabriel's glower was far more intimidating than muscle mass. "You're being awfully cryptic, papillon. I don't want to start any trouble while I'm here, so could you please tell me if I have any competition?" Kieran's voice took on a threatening tone.

Gabriel chose his next words carefully. "To be perfectly honest..." His eyes narrowed. "I don't think there's any real competition."

Kieran's expression turned suspicious. "If I didn't know better, papillon, I'd believe that I am already stepping on someone's toes."

Gabriel's shrug was casual, but his expression remained cold. "You're free to believe whatever you like."

Kieran put a hand on Gabriel's shoulder threateningly and the twisting in his stomach suddenly snapped. He brushed away the offending arm roughly. He planted one hand in the middle of Kieran's chest and pushed him hard.

Kieran's legs hit the arm of the sofa chair. He tripped and fell backwards onto it. Gabriel stood over him, eyes blazing. Kieran got up, aiming a punch right at Gabriel's face.

Gabriel caught his fist and bore him back down onto the chair. He straddled Kieran's waist, pinning him down. Kieran grabbed the front of his shirt, ripping the top two buttons. "You're fooling yourself if you think a foul papillon is suitable for Angie." He said through gritted teeth as they struggled.

"I'm not the one who gets to decide that." Gabriel's voice was a menacing caress. With his free hand, he clutched a fistful of Kieran's hair, forcing his head back. He brought his face close to Kieran's, lowering his voice to a whisper. "And neither are you."

A loud clattering sound from the kitchen jerked both men back to their surroundings. Gabriel looked up. Angie stood in the kitchen, looking at them aghast. Sybil was leaning on the counter, eating popcorn from a small bag. "Aw man Angie, it was just getting good!"

Angie gave her an incredulous look. "How long were you standing there watching them fight?"

"The entire time, I think. I can't understand a word they're saying, but I think they were just about to kiss."

Kieran's grip on his shirt slackened. Gabriel released the hunter and stood up. Kieran got to his feet and dusted himself off. He turned and headed for the door.

Angie's face was flushed as she knelt down and picked up the metal trays she'd dropped. "Are you all right?" She asked as Kieran passed.

"No harm done." He assured her. "Just a simple misunderstanding."

Angie put the trays in the counter next to the sink and walked into the living room. "What was that all about?"

"A misunderstanding, like he said." Gabriel's expression was unreadable, but he appeared to have calmed down.

Angie made a physical gesture with both hands to stifle her irritation and worry. "Look, I know you don't get along with hunters. In fact, I don't either! But Kieran's one of the good guys!"

"I believe I made my point perfectly clear to him. There won't be any further misunderstandings."

Angie sighed. "That's all I'm asking." She frowned at his ruined shirt, pulling at the collar and inspecting it. "You'd better go get changed. More guests are arriving." She went back into the kitchen and began arranging plates of food on the trays.

Gabriel bent down and retrieved one of his missing buttons from the floor. He scowled at it. Sybil was still staring at him. "Can I help you?"

"Talk French to me."

"Vous êtes une fille étrange et déroutant, donc je vous ignorer." He turned and headed for his bedroom.

Sybil sighed happily. "Oh wait, I'm supposed to be helping Callie."

"Sybil! We have to get the karaoke machine downstairs NOW!"

"I'm coming, I'm coming! Why do you own a karaoke machine anyway? You never even use it!"

"Duh, I bought it for the party!"

"Take this down with you." Angie said, holding out a tray of food to Sybil. "And don't devour everything on it before you get to the pool."

"Oooo! Are those peanut butter cookies?" Sybil put one in her mouth before taking the tray and heading out.

Callie hurried into the kitchen after Sybil left. She looked at Angie in frustration. "You're still not dressed!"

Angie looked down at her T-shirt and denim shorts. "What's wrong with this?"

"You can't swim in a T-shirt."

"Well I don't have a bathing suit. I never replaced the one I lost in the fire."

Callie placed her hands on Angie's shoulders, turned her around, and steered her towards her bedroom. "Yes you do. I bought you one last week and put it in your drawer. I was hoping you would have found it by now."

Gabriel stood naked in his own bedroom, contemplating three swimsuits lined up on his bed. One of the first things he'd done after the fire had been to restock his extensive wardrobe. He was always particular about what he wore, and made not even the smallest decision lightly.

He heard Evangeline's door open and close. "Callie, why are you always ragging on my clothes?" Evangeline complained. Even through two walls he could hear her voice as if she were in the same room with him.

"Because you have no style!" Calypso replied impatiently. "And no, oversized sweatshirts are not a style!"

"Am I not allowed to be comfortable? I don't care about style."

"It's not about comfort and you know it! There are plenty of nice clothes in your size that would be perfectly comfortable, but you keep stealing your brother's old clothes." There was the sound of a drawer opening. "You can't hide the real reason, not from me. I know how you used to dress in high school. That's why I bought you this."

"Callie I refuse to wear that."

"Why?"

"Because it's indecent!"

"No, no it is not. This is the same style two piece you wore when you went on your senior class trip. That was TWO YEARS AGO."

There was a long silence, then Calypso spoke again, more gently. "Sweetie, you know I love you so much. That's why I get upset when I see you doing this to yourself. You have to understand that it was not your fault. At all. It wasn't how you acted, or how you dressed. You have to stop blaming yourself."

Evangeline's voice was small, barely a whisper. "I don't know if I can."

"All you have to do is try. Take it in steps. Start tonight. I'm here to help you."

"...Can I see it again?"

"Here you go."

"I really like it. Thank you, Callie."

"I know you do, sweetie. And you're welcome. I'm going to let you get changed. There's a terry cloth robe on the bed. I'll meet you downstairs."

"All right, I'll be just a minute."

Gabriel waited several minutes after Evangeline changed and left before choosing his swimsuit and exiting his room. He didn't want to chance meeting her alone when she was self-conscious and vulnerable.

xxxXXXxxx

"Ow! Dammit, girl! Will you just leave me alone?" Arthur yelled gruffly, clutching his arm.

Blue held a cotton swab in her hand, looking determined. "No, if you don't keep those stitches cleaned, they'll get infected."

Without his dirty old coat hiding it, it was plain that Arthur was fit for his age. He had to be in order to be an effective hunter. When he wasn’t on a mission he was working out or eating something healthy. If he’d only stop drinking, he’d prolly have a long life ahead of him.

Well, he’d have to stop hunting as well.

“Aren’t we supposed to be at another one of damned ‘staff meetings’ Harris keeps setting up?”

“It’s fine. They won’t start without us.” She pressed the cotton to his wound again and he flinched. “Jesus, Arthur, you weren’t this whiny when that vampire slashed you in the first place. Stay still!”

“You can’t use that word.” he reminded her sourly. “You have to call them angels, remember?”

She rolled her eyes. “I don’t get why we have to call those ugly monsters angels.”

“Because we share this building with civilians, or did you forget about the twenty-two hundred people that also work here?”

“But why do we have to use such a beautiful word? Why can’t we call them devils? That’s what they are.”

“That you’ll have to take up with Harris.”

“I might just do that.” She finished cleaning him up. “Okay, you can roll down your sleeve.”

Arthur got to his feet, grateful the torture was over. Now he could get back to work.

The others were already waiting in Harris’ office. Green sat off to the side, her phone in her hand. Arthur patted her on the shoulder before taking his place closest to Harris.

Harris stood facing the large floor-to-ceiling window that was the back wall of his office. He was a middle aged man with brown hair graying at the temples. With his soft physique and gray business suit he was as far removed from a hunter as one could get. When everyone was seated, he turned around. “So, what do we know so far?”

“Blackswell has the package.” Arthur said. “We’re not sure if he knows we’re after it, or if he thinks we’re just after him.”

Harris lifted up a piece of paper off his desk and inspected in casually. “And what do we know about the Angel of Death?”

Albert spoke up from the back. “He’s never been sighted this far south before, so our information is limited. I pulled everything we had from the Alaska database, but it’s not helpful. I’m still negotiating with the Canadian government to allow me access to their police network. I might be able to find something then, but it will take time.”

Harris turned his attention back to Arthur. “The girl that is with him. That’s your daughter, correct?” Arthur’s mouth was a grim line. He nodded. “is it true that she’s related to Katrina Riley?”

Arthur shifted in his chair. “Yes. That’s how I met her mother, Vivian Garcia. I was searching for Katrina Riley, but found her niece instead. I thought she might have been a hunter as well, but I was mistaken.”

Harris’ eyebrows raised. “That’s quite a mistake.”

Red, who was sitting next to Arthur, snickered into his hand. Arthur slapped him on the back of the head without looking at him.

Harris tapped the top of the paper against his forehead while he thought. “All right, new plan. A plan that will allow us to obtain both the Angel of Death and the package. At the same time.”

“Are you sure you want to bag an angel that powerful and bring him here?” Arthur asked seriously. “The others are small fry compared to him. I’m not sure the box will be able to hold him.”

“I’ll send Black on this one. He’ll be able to knock this Angel of Death down a few pegs, surely.”

“Just so I’m clear. This new plan doesn’t involve using my daughter as bait, does it?”

Harris smiled comfortingly. “Silver, there is no need to worry. You’ll be there to make sure nothing happens to her. Besides, this is your chance to rescue her from that monster’s clutches, isn’t it?”

xxxXXXxxx

Angie hesitated at the back entrance to the building. She fidgeted with the white robe she wore, wishing it was longer.

A soft breeze tickled her bare legs, but it was warm. It made her a little grateful she wasn't wearing pants.

Sybil passed by, looking around. Then she spotted her and ran over. She had changed into a black bikini that made Angie's two piece look quite conservative. She was chubby at the waist and thighs, but didn't appear to have any shame at all.

"Angie! There's this guy here claiming to be your brother, but he doesn't look anything like you at all!" She stopped in front of her and huffed a little. "Want me to throw him out?" She looked over her shoulder. "I think I can take him."

"Now that would be something to see!" Chris laughed as he walked towards them. He wore a pair of yellow trunks and had a towel draped over one bare shoulder.

Angie forgot all about her shyness and ran to her brother. She threw her arms around his neck and he lifted her up in a tight bear hug. "I've only been gone a few weeks." He said teasingly. "Did you really miss me that much?"

"Always. It feels like FOREVER." She gave him a loud kiss on the cheek and ruffled his short blond hair while she had the altitude.

He set her down gently, chuckling. "How about some more familiar faces? I picked up some passengers on my way over."

Angie peered around his massive bulk and her eyes widened in delight. "Cassandra!"

Cassandra Andrews walked over, a cooler dangling from one hand. She wore a short white tank top and a pair of men's swimming trunks. She gave Angie a peace sign. "Hey there Angie, long time no see. I missed your face." She grinned her impossibly white smile.

Cassandra and her brother Ricky were a mix of African and Native American blood, giving them exotic facial features. Cass's skin was a dark chocolate, while her brother's was more of a milk chocolate.

"I missed your face too." Angie held her arms out and they embraced warmly.

"Why didn't you tell me your new address, silly! My school is just ten blocks..." She turned a little and pointed. "That way."

"I had no idea!"

"That's because you're lousy at keeping in touch." Cass poked her in the chest.

"Isn't it a long commute though? All the way from Long Island?"

"Nah, me and some classmates are renting out an apartment nearby. I had to give the new lovebirds their space." She rolled her eyes dramatically.

"Lovebirds?" Angie's eyes widened. "Stop! Don't tell me..."

Cass gestured grandly behind her. Ricky and Steven were walking towards them from the parking lot. They both wore swimming trunks. Ricky was shirtless, but Steven wore a white T-shirt. They were holding hands.

Ricky was grinning like a madman. He raised one arm up and waved. Steven looked embarrassed.

"Oh. Em. Gee." Angie said.

Cass nodded ruefully. "When your brother turns your crush gay, it's time to bow out gracefully."

"I'll have you know that I am not gay." Steven said as they drew near. He adjusted his glasses self-consciously. "I identify as Asexual." His ears turned red.

Angie mock-punched Ricky's arm. "I am unbearably happy for you two. Congratulations."

Cass grabbed Angie's arm and pulled her off to the side. "Okay, real talk. Are there any cute guys coming? Because I don't feel like being a third wheel all night."

Angie gave her an amused grin. "There's a couple of guys I'm thinking of. Trust me, you won't be disappointed."

"Well, all the humans have arrived." Callie appeared out of nowhere and clapped her hands together. "Refreshments are over there. No diving into the shallow end, it's only four feet deep."

Cass held up her cooler. "We brought a little something ourselves."

"So when are all the vampires getting here?" Ricky asked, looking around.

Angie threw her hands up. "All right, who told you?" Steven raised his hand silently. "I swear, vampires are the worst kept secret around here."

"It's all right, Angie." Cass told her. "Sure, we might have been freaked out if you'd told us in the beginning, but that was before we met Callie."

"Yeah, Callie is the best." Ricky agreed.

"Besides, Ricky and I used to get teased all time time in school because of our looks. It's taught us not to judge based on appearances."

"Or centuries of established lore and fiction."

"You guys..." Callie covered her mouth with her hands. "If I were able to blush..." She gathered them together and hugged all three of them. “The others will be here soon, so we might as well get started now.”

The gaggle of humans cheered and headed for the pool.
♠ ♠ ♠
I still can't believe I haven't run out of steam yet. Which of our old friends is everyone most excited to see again?